wasy8's HUSNGs - cya Philippines, it's been a slice

• wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      In the past I've been a fish at blogging. I've had one or two blogs on here before, got lazy and forgot about updating them. Creating this blog is part of a 2012 general upgrade of my attitude towards being a professional poker.

I started writing out a big long history of how I got to where I am playing poker, and then promptly scrapped it. Because no one wants to read a giant wall of text of that garbage.

All you need to know is that I am a professional poker player, but I've been incredibly lazy as one. Not in terms of putting in volume. I've never had that problem. My problem is putting in too much useless volume. Failing to study and stay ahead of the curve, and putting in too many empty hours have contributed to too many breakeven/losing stretches that lasted longer than they should have. I'm planning to change that in 2012, which means better and more meticulous records and study habits, an exercise routine, and better structure in my days. I bought the P90X program to start in January...pics of my sixpack abs to follow in April? I was a multi-sport athlete in high school and I really want to get back to that level of fitness.

I've bounced around game formats in the past, including 9-man SNGs and 6max cash. However, I think I've found my niche at HUSNGs. I'm currently splitting my action between four different networks - iPoker, 888, Everest, and Microgaming. November was my best month ever in poker - about $13k at mostly the $100 level. December was not quite as good, but still in the green for about $4k at the time of writing *knock on wood* I erased my cash game database in order to speed up my computer (and because i felt they weren't really needed anymore), but I think 2011 as a whole was good for about $45k profit. I want 2012 to be a six-figure year.

I've got tons of more shit to say that will probably come out as this blog goes on, so I won't make this any longer than it already is. Hopefully people participate and ask questions to make this fun for everyone. :)

• 89 replies
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Subscribed :)
      Nice to have a HUSNG pro blogging around :P
    • xJCzZ
      xJCzZ
      Bronze
      Subscribed, very nice results so far, looking forward to your updates goodluck
    • Demonic226
      Demonic226
      Bronze
      Subscribed as well, run good with your goals!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Pretty happy with my volume today. Got in 95 games total. If the steady action keeps up like this on Microgaming I'll be raking in the gemstones in 2012. Also got a good amount of action on 888 and Everest today.

Results were kinda meh. I finished +300 or so, which is fine...but I feel like I spewed in a few too many spots. A few thin calls and reshoves that I think I'd like to have back.

Not sure if I'll play any tomorrow. Maybe a little bit in the early afternoon but I haven't really decided yet. Jets vs Leafs tomorrow, which is a pretty big game given that they're tied in points in the standings right now and fighting for a playoff spot. If my buddy comes through for me I might be able to get tickets, but we'll see. Whenever the game ends I'll head over to my friends place to celebrate New Year's Eve. Planning to drink my face off and hot tub it all night. Gotta ring in the new year properly. :)

See you all on the flip side in 2012 and have a great New Year's!
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Will follow! I've started to dabble in HUsng. They're really interesting games. Good luck
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      The last day of 2011 was incredible. Had so much fun from the moment I woke up to the moment I finally passed out on my friend's couch. This is gonna be an entirely non-poker post, haha.

I woke up to texts from my buddy letting me know he got the tickets and they were unreal seats. More on that later.

Then when I checked my email, I found out I had won some sort of SNG leaderboard race on Ladbrokes for the 30th and got an ipad 2. Had no idea I was even part of this race or that it was happening in the first place. I think I was still half asleep but still pretty awesome news. So i went back to bed for a quick nap before taking off to the game.

For anyone that doesn't know much about the Jets or NHL hockey in general - Winnipeg had their NHL franchise sold in 1996 to Phoenix due a myriad of different reasons, but none of which was lack of fan support. In June of this past year, a business group (including the richest man in Canada, David Thomson) bought the Atlanta franchise and moved it to Winnipeg...and the city basically went nuts. They sold out 13,000 season tickets in 13 minutes and getting your hands on Jets tickets is near impossible. They can't restock Jets merch in the city fast enough; basically everyone in and around the city had Jets merch under the tree for Christmas.

Anyway, I met up with my buddy, his brother, and brother's girlfriend at the MTS Centre, where we walked around for a bit, ate, etc. Eventually found our way to our seats which were ridiculously good. I'll try to post pics later, but I can't figure out how to upload from my blackberry (such a tech fish, I know). The arena was rocking all game, with the 'GO JETS GO' chant breaking out in the arena probably like 30 times over the course of the game. Relentlessly booed the Leafs star players Phaneuf and Kessel whenever they touched the puck, and mocked the Leafs goalie with "REIIIIMER, REIIIIIIMER" chants all night. Jets ended up winning 3-2, and the last two minutes of the game had the entire place on their feet and cheering as loud as they possibly could. I couldn't hear myself think and I left the building with my ears ringing. So unbelievably cool.

After the game I took off to another friend's place for her annual New Year's party. Had a blast there, with some epic games of beer pong and hot tubbing.

Awesome new years and I couldn't ask for anything better. Hope everyone else rang in 2012 as good I did.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Just finished a pretty crazy 24 hours that was mostly grinding. Was down like $3200 at one point, now down $900. Had one of those ridiculously awesome fish that looked like he was just clicking buttons. At one point he raise/called 94o 22bb effective. And he kept rematching me over and over again.

Dreamy right? I thought so, except I ran colder than I ever thought possible. I think I lost 10 in a row at one point, at got it in flipping or dominating in all ten. I was pretty happy about my mindset throughout...I think the closest I came to actually feeling really tilted was around that -3k mark when I finally muttered out loud, "this is really fucking retarded." At least he donated some back in the end and there were some other fish playing too, so I was 2-3 tabling steadily in the wee hours of the morning. I think I managed to stay up till about 11am (and back up to only -1500 or so), turned on sportscenter and passed out for about 4 hours. Woke up, made myself a pot of coffee, and got back on the grind for another $600 or so.

Surprisingly I'm not as tired as I thought I'd be. Not gonna play anymore tonight though, I think I'm gonna try readjusting my sleep schedule to be somewhat normal again.

I'd like to post the graph but I forgot how to post sharkscope graphs. Anyone wanna help a brother out?
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Pretty decent morning of poker. I think i finished up about $800 or so. The month going not bad considering my awful start. I finished clearing my everest first deposit bonus, managed to piss off almost every reg there, and sit on top of the 2012 total profit sharkscope leaderboard for everest. Would be nice to hold that spot all year - the diamond star on sharkscope is kinda pretty.

Kinda spewy hand vs a fish, but fun:

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (2 handed) - Hold'em Manager Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

Hero (BB) (t1590)
      SB (t1410)

Hero's M: 13.25

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7:heart: , Q:heart:
      SB calls t40, Hero checks

Flop: (t160) 8:spade: , 9:club: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets t80, Hero raises t240, SB calls t160

Turn: (t640) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB checks

River: (t640) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets t360, Hero calls t360

Total pot: t1360

Results:
      SB had 10:heart: , 6:heart: (one pair, eights).
      Hero had 7:heart: , Q:heart: (one pair, eights).
      Outcome: Hero won t1360

subsequent chat:
      polish fish: wow
      polish fish: i dont understand
      polish fish: its not possile
      polish fish: possible
      wasy8: anything is possible if you just believe

polish fish: i am going to write a letter to the world poker organization about this game

He proceeded to donate 4 or 5 buyins at $100s and $200s to me.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Will follow :)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      To post an image go to imageshack.us, upload it and you will be given a forum code which you copy/paste here.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      To post an image go to imageshack.us, upload it and you will be given a forum code which you copy/paste here.
      whatever you do don't use imageshack it's based in the us and shit. use imgur.com imo
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Appreciate the help on uploading images guys.

This was my weekend. green line is 888, yellow line is everest, purple line is microgaming, thin red line is total profit.

I think I goofed up the cropping part a bit. I printed screen from sharkscope, cropped the part I wanted in paint, and then saved and uploaded to imgur. Is there something else I can do to get rid of all the white space?
    • Demonic226
      Demonic226
      Bronze
      If you use the selection tool in Paint, select the part you want, then cut => open new file => paste => save (a bit of a hassle but that's how I do it)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Easiest way is to right-click the image on sharkscope and save it. Then upload it to imageshack or wherever and post the code.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Will follow this. Played HUSNG's myself for a while but didn't get further then 50$-level :f_frown: . It also looked as if there was very little action on 100$+, no problems with that?

GL!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by lpdlamei
      Will follow this. Played HUSNG's myself for a while but didn't get further then 50$-level :f_frown: . It also looked as if there was very little action on 100$+, no problems with that?

GL!
      There are some dead periods, but sitting at 4 different networks makes up for it. Plus I can study or read other stuff while I'm waiting for games so it's not too bad.

I added ongame to my list of networks to grind at. Got off to a pretty terrible start, down about 700 there so far. Most of that is a certain reg just not giving me lobbies, and he's quite good so that's a giant pain in the ass. I think I'm just gonna play there when I'm certain he's not around.

Running not great on everest either lately, and have played a ton of games there lately too. A lot of it is against these two regs who are actually usually atop the leaderboard at everest. I play them because I have absolutely zero clue as to how they win money at poker. Both are absolutely terrible and hugely exploitable. One in particular I know I have his ranges pegged in like every spot and he doesnt adjust at all, which I guess works out for him cause he runs hotter than the sun.

Enough bitching about running like aids though. Here's a taste of what I'm grinding to lately.

• wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Grinding now. Pretty tough sledding today running like aids as per usual. Wish microgaming/everest would work properly in HEM so that I could show off some fun $EV graphs. Had a game yesterday vs a fish on everest where I got him down to 30 chips courtesy of AK>KQ, then proceeded to get it in ahead every time in like a 65/35 or 70/30 situation, and lost every one. My EV for that game alone was probably like $600 in a $100 game lol.

This is what I'm grinding to today. http://garethemery.com/podcast/podcast_165/
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      I barely played in the last week of the month. Really just needed some time to get away from the games a bit and relax, and do some study time (for both school and poker) in place of grinding.

It was a pretty awful month compared to my standards, but profitable I guess. Bricked the TCOOP events I played which didn't help any either. Sorry no graphs, since my HEM isn't working for Everest and Prima and posting graphs that don't include those sites isn't very representative of my month.

Monthly totals:
      Table Earnings - $173.29
      RB/Bonuses - $2493.10
      Staking - $1788.98
      Total - $4455.37
      YTD Total - $4455.37

I also earned two gemstones to start the year, and I'm missing some rakeback totals from sites where I haven't received them yet as well as rake race bonuses that aren't received. So technically the total isn't completely accurate and I've 'earned' more, but it hasn't shown up in the poker accounts yet.

Hopefully February is more up to my standards and I can be north of the 5 figure mark again.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Jets need to pick it up