[NL2-NL10] Nl4; Hu: 99 Oop

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2.18 (109 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4.64 (232 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 9
      SB raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 3 K 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.28) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $0.21, Hero calls $0.21

River: ($0.70) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $0.60, Hero folds

Results: $0.70 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 3 K 7 5 3
      SB mucked and won $0.66 ($0.31 net)
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$0.35 net)

Opponent' stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/Cbetflop/CbetTurn/Foldto3bet/WTSD/hands
      61/43/3.3/100(3)/100(2)/50(4)/14/61

I have no idea how to play the hand. I suppose that the way I played it was ok.

But, referring to one of the recent hands that you analised, could we have donked the turn? Or perhaps donk the flop even?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, if you are calling the turn then what did it change on the river? He is very aggressive and he could easily even 3rd barrel there as bluff. If I Call the turn then I Call the river or I am just folding the turn. Nope, I wouldn't donk it here because his CB is pretty huge and more value by calling.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Well, his river bet is rather big. That is what influenced my decision the most. Moreover, the sample size on those Cbets is rather small, although it does show a tendency. I don't have information on how often he 3rd barrels either. His AF is not that high either.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Well, his river bet is rather big. That is what influenced my decision the most. Moreover, the sample size on those Cbets is rather small, although it does show a tendency. I don't have information on how often he 3rd barrels either. His AF is not that high either.
      What's the question? :P
      Bronze
      The question is whether it is possible to really tell that our opponent is aggressive enough to 3-barrel as a bluff in this spot often enough. What makes you think so? And the bet is very big. We have to be right rather often.

Obviously we have a reason to suspect that he is 2-barreling often because we have such statistics (but take notice of the extremely small sample size). And even about that we can't be too sure as of yet. 3-barrel bluffs should not be extremely common on this limit IMO. And still - why are you so sure that we can call the river? Why are we obliged to call the river if we call the turn?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      The question is whether it is possible to really tell that our opponent is aggressive enough to 3-barrel as a bluff in this spot often enough. What makes you think so? And the bet is very big. We have to be right rather often.

Obviously we have a reason to suspect that he is 2-barreling often because we have such statistics (but take notice of the extremely small sample size). And even about that we can't be too sure as of yet. 3-barrel bluffs should not be extremely common on this limit IMO. And still - why are you so sure that we can call the river? Why are we obliged to call the river if we call the turn?
      Why not? It's HU, it's not FR or SH for you. :) People play more aggressive and people barrel more often just cause of that. Especially when the opponent has 100% of flop & turn CB so far.

If you are going to play this way then your play will be HARDLY exploitable on higher limits.
      Bronze
      1) So basically the main reason we should be very tended to call is that this is HU and not SH or FR?
      2) If our opponent was an unknown, would calling the river be standard?
      3) doesn't the size of the river bet make us consider a fold?

Also one mistake I'll dare to point out about your english that I have encountered a couple of times:
      If you are going to play this way then your play will be HARDLY exploitable on higher limits.

The meaning of this sentence the way you wrote actually is that my play will almost not be exploitable. It is a huge difference. Instead, write "my play will be very exploitable" or just simply exploitable. "hardly" before a noun, verb or an adverb has the meaning of "almost to no extent".

It's not that it's impossible to understand from the context, but there might sometimes be some misunderstandings. Nothing personal, just trying to contribute something back to you :) We both can learn!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) So basically the main reason we should be very tended to call is that this is HU and not SH or FR?

No, it's HU and you have to start to understand yourself what you are doing on the tables and what you ain't. Since I can't say you like oh you have to Call! Since at the same time I could say you have to Fold! What do you think HU is mainly about? Just play-play-play and hope to hit? HU is about understanding the opponents/their ranges/their habits/how to exploit them and when you even don't write much about the opponent nor any reads/notes it's hard to tell what's the correct line. Me isn't playing it, I just have the few stats from which I am making my decisions.

That's another reason why beginners shouldn't be playing HU, most of the things are new for them and they just hoping to get rich fast or learn really fast which actually ain't gonna happen by just posting few hands and then talking about it.

2) If our opponent was an unknown, would calling the river be standard?

I rarely have pure unknown opponent in HU when I already have 61 hands. So it can't be unknown. Depends how I see the opponent, what kind of reads/notes I have on him. I would most likely consider folding even on the turn or if I Call the turn I would also call the river as I have said couple of times.

3) doesn't the size of the river bet make us consider a fold?

Why should it? Doesn't the river bet size polarize his range? :)