Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($9.33)
      Hero ($7.38)
      UTG ($2.36)
      CO ($2.95)
      BTN ($5.77)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:heart:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.35, UTG calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.80) K:club: 3:diamond: 9:heart:

Hero checks, UTG checks

TURN ($0.80) K:club: 3:diamond: 9:heart: 8:heart:

Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls $0.50

RIVER ($1.80) K:club: 3:diamond: 9:heart: 8:heart: 3:spade:

Hero bets $0.80, UTG calls $0.80

fish had 73/16/2.6/51 hands. I check the flop since he frequently folds against cbets 75%(12 times) and bets often when checked too. Then I go for 2 streets of value against 9x, 8x maybe even lower PP. Thinking betsizes can be slightly bigger?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello mordath,

Nah, the play isn't wrong but what would you do if the opponent bets himself into you on the flop & turn? Do you really prefer to turn your hand into bluff-catcher?

Best Regards.
    • mordath
      mordath
      Bronze
      I would probably call flop and see what he does on the turn as he can lead into me with worse hands like MP or TT/JJ. The turn is trickier if he continues to lead as then there's much fewer hands he does this for value and very few hands that are draws for bluffs unless it's just pure bluffs so would probably fold turn depending on bet size.

I think it's okay to bluff-catch as the other option is to cbet and he would call with TP anyway so it's the same 1 bet but I call on the turn instead of getting called on the flop. It all depends whether I think I can get value from MP or gutshots etc on the flop but based on his stats he tends to fold marginal hands postflop. So not much value lost if any and I might get more value from him bluffing when I check behind at least that's my reasoning. Sure bluff-catching in micros isn't the most common way to get value but I think it's fine here?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Your play will be very easily exploitable and rather get used to not to pick such lines. :) Of course it's reasonable if you also expect the opponent to be rather passive. But now again we might even protect our hand from even overcard/draws.
    • mordath
      mordath
      Bronze
      I did not consider whether my play was exploitable or not but I agree any line where I check as PFR OOP if it's a good villain he can just bomb 3 streets and expect me to fold since I rarely have a strong hand then. Rather I was focused on getting the most value out of the fish and I felt the value given up from 1 free card was 3-5 outs (Ax or 1p hands) is fine. I suppose against a reg I'd just take a b/f line on the flop but it just means every time I check as pfr I will just fold to any bet basically. Isn't that "exploitable" also?

Thinking back I didn't consider enough that I was OOP, I think this is more justifiable when I'm IP although I just usually tend to think "how do I exploit this fish for max value" and I guess that's pretty much my main consideration for choosing plays like this. =)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I suppose against a reg I'd just take a b/f line on the flop but it just means every time I check as pfr I will just fold to any bet basically. Isn't that "exploitable" also?

Well, didn't you just Check on the flop? Which = exploitable. :D And obviously depends also on the opponent and not only board or the hand.

If you are IP then it's more towards a Check behind since you can always decide what to do on the turn yourself while being OOP it's gonna be really hard to Check/Call both streets vs his bluffs which could happen.