• Anubite

My name is Dragos, i`m currently a student and and as you can see, i want to register for this beginners course.

I`m playing poker for the last 4 years. I was playing mainly live and just a little bit online. I can say that i have the experience of playing and knowing the rules of the game but i've never studyed nothing about poker (just playing).

Thank you!
  • 2 replies
    • Anubite
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

For the beginning i would like to make some pocket money out of poker. I really think I am capable of doing it because I can adapt really fast to new situations and I can do math quite easily. So for the moment I am thinking just to play this game as a hobby. If everthing's going really good and by plan and if I can see that I can win money easily at the microstakes, probably I will consider doing it not as a hobby but as a part time job or, who knows, full time job. The thing is that I really enjoy this game, especialy playing it live.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think that tilting is the main weakness of mine.
      The second one I think it will be that I`m always trying to make hero calls and to be the "bravehart" of the table (the typical fish).
      The third one is that I am not really patiently => usualy tilt.
      I don't really like playing the game online and I know that I should start liking it because this is the easiest way for making money out of poker (i think)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

By playing tight I understand that I have to play only a few starting hands that are in the same time strong.

By playing aggressive it means that I always have to put pressure on the opponent not by calling or checking but by betting or raising pots. This is the main way to make your opponent do mistakes

Playing tight aggressive is the most profitable way in poker.
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.