online poker banned, south africa

• 15 replies
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      So giraffe and elephant could grind again!

Just joking :D
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Not even a good joke at that...
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      I did not hear anything like that, I would be surprised.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Sorry for the delay on answering but I haven't found anything so far. I will escalate it and I am sure someone will have an answer for you soon

Regards

Thazar
    • vander32
      vander32
      Bronze
      cool thanks thazar. piggs peak poker was based in south africa but they no longer running. then there is silver sands which is not based in south africa but mainly sa based players play there and the currency is in south african rand.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I have asked again and again sorry for the delay
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I have no information on the online poker law in South Africa. You must google this or ask your local eGaming representative in the city you live in.

Do you also have issue registering at any of our partner rooms then?

Ingrid
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vander32
      Hi,

Does anyone have any information regarding the laws of online poker in South africa?
      Hi vander32,

Unfortunately online poker in South Africa is illegal:

Minister Warns South Africans About Online Gambling.

The official press statement from the SA national gambling board:

SA Gambling Board Press Releases.

Therefore, I'd advise caution if you're thinking of playing online in SA. If you do decide to play, I also suggest that you research the legislation and suitable poker rooms etc ;)

Good luck!!
    • vander32
      vander32
      Bronze
      Ok thank you for help. So sad. What country can anyone suggest is good for online poker in terms of internet speed, living cost etc?
    • TheeyaN
      TheeyaN
      Bronze
      Any Eastern European country lol
    • eixip60
      eixip60
      Bronze
      This link might help you good luck

[Edited by HollyMichelle]
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi there eixip60,

I have removed the link from your post above as it contains another affiliate.

I trust you understand my reasoning.

Best regards,
      Gary
    • eixip60
      eixip60
      Bronze
      oops sorry about that
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eixip60
      oops sorry about that
      No worries, innocent mistake. You were only trying to help a fellow member out. I totally understand that.

Gary
    • manicjason7
      manicjason7
      Bronze
      Is Online Poker Legal in South Africa?
      No, online poker is not legal in South Africa. In fact, no forms of online gambling are legal in South Africa. The State has been working hard in an attempt to preserve its online gambling monopoly, fighting the war mainly through legal channels. The legislation governing online gambling is the National Gambling Act (2004). Section 11 of the act pretty much lays it bare:
      “A person must not engage in or make available an interactive game except as authorized in terms of this Act or any other national law”.
      What would be an “authorized” interactive game? Basically, one run by the government. Since no South African poker sites are licensed by the government, all of them are considered illegal. How handy. As if the law wasn’t clear enough,a recent High Court ruling restated the obvious: “this ruling affirms the South African laws that interactive gambling taking place in South Africa currently remains illegal”.
      In sum, it is illegal to:
      Play at unlicensed South African poker sites, which is all of them.
      Operate a poker site within South Africa.
      Operate a poker site that serves South African customers from abroad.
      Advertise a poker site in South Africa.
      Will Online Poker Be Legalized in South Africa Soon?
      It’s hard to say. The most recent court ruling, which strongly affirmed that online poker remains illegal, came down in 2010. That’s pretty recent, and not indicative of a legislative body willing to change its mind soon.
      As is the case whenever a government wants to make an entire industry illegal, it’s all about profits. South Africa will legalize online poker once the government figures out how to tax and regulate the game. How soon that will be depends on how much pressure the government feels to act decisively.
      Is It Safe to Play Online Poker in South Africa?
      That depends on your definition of safe. As we now know, it is illegal to play online poker in South Africa. But it’s useful to note that nobody has ever been charged for playing cards at a South African poker site. The government lacks the capacity and infrastructure to police the entire internet. It is incredibly unlikely that anyone would ever be caught and prosecuted for playing at a South African poker site.
      Indeed, many South Africans gamble online regularly, despite anti-gaming legislation. Professor Peter Collins, the Executive Director of the National Responsible Gambling Program, estimates that 250,000 South Africans regularly gamble online. Pretty much every major poker site accepts South African players with open arms, and none of these sites have been prosecuted for operating in the South African market.
      All this suggests that while online poker is technically illegal in South Africa, the government isn’t enforcing the National Gambling Act. Players are signing up at South African poker sites in droves, and gambling operators aren’t scared of doing business in South Africa.

Do I Have to Pay Income Tax on Poker Winnings in South Africa?
      The jury is out on this one. The answer is basically who knows?
      If you’re up for some light reading on the subject, a student at the University of Pretoria has published a dissertation on the topic. Entitled “A Critical Analysis of the Taxation of Interactive Gambling Income Earned By resident South African Individuals”, the report basically concludes just as I did: that nobody knows whether or not poker winnings are taxable in South Africa.
      How Can I Deposit at South African Poker Sites?
      Easy: just use a credit card, a cash transfer service, or an e-wallet.
      Most South African poker sites accept VISA and MasterCard as payment options. Some also accept American Express and Diner’s Club. Both 888 Poker and Party Poker accept all three.
      If you don’t want to use a credit card, try a cash transfer service like Western Union. E-mail support at whatever poker site you choose to obtain payment information. Then, head down to a Western Union location near you to send money. Your chosen South African poker site will credit your poker account with the cash when they receive the funds.
      Alternatively, you can save some hassle by signing up with an e-wallet service. NETELLER and MoneyBookers are the two most popular e-wallets in the world, and both are available to South African poker players.
      To get started with an e-wallet service, simply sign up for an account. Then, fund your e-wallet account from a bank account or credit card. Then, select your e-wallet as a payment method in your poker site’s cashier window (e.g. MoneyBookers or NETELLER). And finally, complete the deposit process on the poker site. Cash will be instantly transferred from your e-wallet account to your poker account, and you’ll be ready to play in a matter of minutes.