BSS Starting Hand Chart Confusion

• boum98
      boum98
      Bronze
      Hi,

I trying to memorize the starting hand chart by using a bit of logic but my logic seems to break down in a few places such as;

1 Caller Mid pos
      AQ recommended to fold
      KQ recommended to call

Why is it recommended to call KQ but fold the better AQ hand?
  • 5 replies
    • nonamesleft
      nonamesleft
      Bronze
      Hi,

With one caller from mid position the chart states AQ and KQo are to be folded, BUT you should call here with KQ suited.

It is slightly odd that the chart doesn't differentiate between AQo and AQs though.

Remember that when these cards are suited you get a small equity edge over the same unsuited cards.

Hope that helps (and makes sense)
    • YxieAA
      YxieAA
      Gold
      Hi,

i think you can call with KQs rather than with AQs because KQ gives you more chance to hit a straight(draw) on the flop.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i havnt seen the hand chart but surley you should only use it as a default and widen or narrow depending on player type plus table dynamic???
    • YxieAA
      YxieAA
      Gold
      absolutly + the chart does not involve blind stealing, bet to isolate etc.
      When you reach silver status you can find an article&charts about advanced open raising.

Your post flop skills are very important aswell. When you start to play more hands you will have to make more difficult decissions post flop. So if you are a beginner you have to play very tight pre flop. It will prevent you from making costly mistakes post flop.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Thanks YxieAA thats very good advice, will take a look if i make it to silver