Should I buy hands on PokerTableRatings?

• Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      Hello,

so I'm a player at 6-max NL25 on Party, and I'm thinking of buying 1M hands at PTR for $28.00. Does any of you guys have any experience on this? Is this a wise action to make or should I just gather the hands on my own?

Thanks for any advice!
  • 10 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      what does the 1M hands involve? sorry cant help just curious
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      if u think stats on regulars will give u some edge why not. else to see fishes don`t know its wort it fishes come and go all time :)
    • nonamesleft
      nonamesleft
      Bronze
      Don't forget that trading in hand histories is a breach of some sites T&C (Stars comes to mind), so it would be wise to check out Party T&C before you do.

I reckon thats a good price for 1M hands though. Just think of how much rake (and time) it would take to generate a database that large.

Edit: just found this in the unfair advantages part of Party T&C. Not sure how they would demonstrate you have bought the database though

4. Extracting Player Profiles:

Certain companies offer for sale programs specifically created to extract player profiles and then sell them in the form of enormous player databases with the promise that anyone who purchases these programs can use this information to their advantage against other players invisibly gathering information about you and then selling it to others to use when they play against you online.

These programs are based on Player hand histories and they typically use the following methods: screen-scraping, reading "Dealer Chat," and by accessing hand histories directly from individual Player's computers using the program
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Tunatic,
      my thoughts are that even though buying these 1m hands may be considerd a cheap investment to gain an edge, as pointed out by 'nonamesleft', they may not be allowed under some sites T&C.

There is a further problem in that the hands may not be either current nor relevant. For example, a player's game changes over a period of time, some in a shorter time than others I grant, but most do change.
      This could make your purchase virtually useless for the early part of the hand histories as being irrelevant to the current player style/ability etc,. and lead to expensive mistakes.

I can't say this for definite of course, I only point out that I purge my stats for villains every 6 months or so, if I see they no longer fit.
      My reasoning is in no way an expert view bye the way, just my observations.
      There is also the recreational player factor to take into account. These are our biggest income providers but often don't stick around long enough for us to build a significant history from, thus again negating the need for a hand history purchase.

Anyway, whatever your decision, have fun and best regards,

Mal.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Don't do it. Even if all the thing gadget said are not true (and they most probably are), don't waste a BI on that. With hard work and time put in, you can beat NL25 with no problems.

Good luck.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      No. Play the game fair.
    • noisecore
      noisecore
      Bronze
      Don't do it

make notes, stats on regs will come if u make some volume and you'll find the notes you made way more valuable than 1m hands.
    • Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      Thanks for the helpful answers, everyone <3
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      I would not buy as well
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      I purchased hands a few months ago. Should have, but I didn't realize it was a breach of the terms of service for the site I play at. Ended up lighting 30 bucks on fire.