On the way to poker pro

• Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      So this is a blog, i thought it would be a good exercise to update every week and have a friendly reminder of my goals.
      first off id like to explain my situation to everyone
      i am currently 18 and dropped out of high school getting a G.E.D
      i have just started poker seriously about 4 days ago. And i am going to do my best to make this a career.

So i started the SSS strategy about 4 days ago id say, April first, huh. ironic :P
      at the moment i am at a $60 bankroll on FTP, i currently play 4 tables. i could probably do more and it wouldn't be a bad idea. only $40 more i think or more till i can start big stack strategy which im quite excited for.....
      SSS seems so linear it can get kind of boring. my wins have been off and on theese past few days.. id be down about $20 if it wasn't for the bonus.. but im just starting and this is of course my first entry..
      I had alot of donks call me with crap and hit too but i never discourage my self when i know i played the hand well. Overall i'm very satisfied with how i deal with bad beats and such.. i never let it affect my play.

I think my goals for this coming week are going to be

-listen to Coach on SSS

-Post some hands that confuse me, atleast 10+ on the boards.

-get bankroll to $100++

-all this done by april 9th..

well wish me luck.. time to bed

-
  • 16 replies
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Good to see more new faces on the forum.

Remember to stick to the strategy 100% and you will make it =)
      One of the most important features of a poker player is feeling good about the losses you do incur due to opponents mistakes and taking it in your stride :D I'm sure you'll be successful if you keep it up!

GL at the tables!
    • raasz
      raasz
      Bronze
      Hey man!

Good luck with your goals. I have one question though: You say you just started poker seriously for a couple of days. And you already play four tables? I know SSS can be quite boring and that's why people open more tables but i really want to advice you to play less tables so you can focus more on getting reads and just getting more feel for the game. I learned it the hard way, i just started playing 4/5/6 tables without having good skills to outplay my opponents. Now i go back to basics once/twice a week, usually i play 4 tables, but sometimes i just play 1 table to work on my reading skills etc, etc.

I hope you succeed, keep the faith when everything goes downhill(because eventually you will get a downsing, everybody does) and learn from those things and you will become a good player.

Cheers!
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      i tried SSS on ftp and found it slightly tricky. i'd be interested to hear how it works for you and what kind of SSS works at NL10 on ftp, i.e. which table selection and what kind of blind steals you do, stuff like that.

hope you do well!
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      reads? outplay? it's SSS. there are very few reads to go by as you can't analyse very many streets of betting by your opponent, and outplaying comes from the mathematical advantage you get from playing a tighter range (that is, better cards)

i think playing less tables is really a case of severely diminishing returns when it comes to SSS. in fact, more tables could increase your /100 winrate, as you don't suffer from Fancy Play Syndrome

on topic: gl for your goals! :D
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      reads? outplay? it's SSS. there are very few reads to go by as you can't analyse very many streets of betting by your opponent, and outplaying comes from the mathematical advantage you get from playing a tighter range (that is, better cards)

i think playing less tables is really a case of severely diminishing returns when it comes to SSS. in fact, more tables could increase your /100 winrate, as you don't suffer from Fancy Play Syndrome

• Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      anyone have an idea where i can upload a graph of my weekly winnings and losses?
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hey Pride11,

You can upload it to a free hosting service, such as http://www.photobucket.com

Best regards,
      thunderbird56
    • raasz
      raasz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I'm not an SSS'er. That's why i didn't thought of that. But that's also why i don't like the strategy. I like to play all the streets, i like to develop reads etc, etc. But for a beginning player SSS is just a really good strategy. So let's not start a debat about this.
      Again, good luck pride!
    • Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      so as of now im doing quite well despite some bad beats im always able to recover from them.. its only been a couple days and already i have a question about some hands

something that frusterates me in this strategy is the low pairs now.. tbh i love your guide 100% but it seems almost rediculous betting 40-60cent + with a pair of 7s-10's...preflop of cource...... im feeling it isn't a good idea at the tables i am playing at could anyone offer some of there opinions about theese hands 7-10 pair, when someone calls me and i see a flop like K 8 9 or something like that it just scares me to see overpair cards cause such low pairs seem to get beat hard..
      so this is my rant and u can tell me what u guys think of betting so much with only 7-10 pair.. i only see there use is when i hit trips....your opinions?
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      is np, i'm not SSS player either and i also prefer to maximise my edge by outplaying my opponents on all streets. but obviously 2 streets of play is a lot easier than 4 ! :P
    • Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      so its 1 day away till i need to reach my goal and quite franklly im pissed
      im at $66 and i seem to be losing more then i am gaining, if it wasent for the bonus from Full tilt id be at about 30$ or less atm..

This SSS strategy isn't working at all.. playing 4-6 tables at once exactly how i should and always getting the short end of the stick
      i just don't see how SSS works, honestly.
      my BR is just not raising after hours of play. I am very frustrated but i would like some suggestions cause at the moment this isn't going so well.
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      Explain or even better: poste hands that cost you money. The main reason for you loosing money instead of winning it could be standard variance or it could be that you made some wrong moves and you lost your money. The latter can be changed while the former can't.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pride11
      so its 1 day away till i need to reach my goal and quite franklly im pissed
      im at $66 and i seem to be losing more then i am gaining, if it wasent for the bonus from Full tilt id be at about 30$ or less atm..

This SSS strategy isn't working at all.. playing 4-6 tables at once exactly how i should and always getting the short end of the stick
      i just don't see how SSS works, honestly.
      my BR is just not raising after hours of play. I am very frustrated but i would like some suggestions cause at the moment this isn't going so well.
      SSS win rate is very slow and frustrating. It depends a lot on luck on the short term, but in the long term it is profitable, so just stick with it till you get 200$ and then switch to BSS. Or do what I did and start playing FL :D
    • Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      DIE FL!!!
      And how can i go about making a video of 1 session for me.. ill cut it short ause my sessions are usually 3+ hours in 1 sitting
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pride11
      DIE FL!!!
      Ok that's a really over the top reaction. Did a FL player insult your mother or something :D

Than just stick to basic SSS and switch to BSS as soon as possible(at least in my opinion), because SSS is too... I don't know what but it can be frustrating. I spent a month playing it and my BR went from 50$ to 90$ back to 30$ and back to 90$, back to 50$..... and so on and on. I think you get the drift.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi Pride11,

I agree with Dippy, if FL isn't working out for you, give NL a try, maybe it suits you better. Start with the SSS and switch to BSS when u ready for it. You are already a silver member so you can already start reading the theory... Good luck with FL or NL.