what is your SECRET, become a WINNING PLAYER

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!!
      I have seen a lot of people with nice graphs and statistic moving on very fast... but for me poker and good winnings are just a dream... I started to play seriously about 6 months ago and I have been always even with the money. This month I am having the biggest downswing so far losing 100 euros in my account and I am starting making me some questions.

1) do i dedicate enough TIME on poker?
      2( am I constant in playing?
      3) am I studying enough?
      4) do i play the right number of tables?
      5) do I watch the "right" videos or sometimes I jump too much skipping some steps?

well there are also many questions that are not here... can you just give me some tips?
      I have seen here many winning players, how can you become I winning player, where do you start? how many hours do you dedicate on studying poker (videos or articles) ? how much time do you spend on reviewing your session, and how do you review your session knowing exactly when you made mistakes? thanks :) ))
  • 20 replies
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      what stakes do you play? since I've gone to 10BI downswings B4 at NL20 on 888 poker, and only to get back up 5 hours later.You should only play poker when you feel like it,it shouldn't be a punishment. Playing and studying should be like 4:1. Playing 80% , Studying 20%. So for every 2 hours of play you should study/review for at least 30 minutes. I've been playing for around 4 years poker, and the since the last year i've been taking it serious, i've made over 3000$ in the last year playing poker 2011*. Cashed out 1700 on pokerstars , had a nice vacation bought a new pc etc :P . 3 Months ago I deposited 60$ on 888, and now its up to 1130$. Playing mostly FR/NL & small amounts of MTT's/VIP Freerolls. I also have HEM2, so I don't advise you to touch poker without a HUD. Since I know I wont play without it since its -EV. What site are you playing on? What stakes? Maybe try 2 tabling and concentrating, rather than playing 8 and playing automatically.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by cekpirus88

1) do i dedicate enough TIME on poker?
      2( am I constant in playing?
      3) am I studying enough?
      4) do i play the right number of tables?
      5) do I watch the "right" videos or sometimes I jump too much skipping some steps?
      [quote]

I am recreational player after over 2000 SNG $1.50 buy in in pokerstars i have 78% ROI.

1. I dont have HUD like the above platinum guy ask u to have.
      2. I play 1-4 tables MAX, n concentrate with what your are playing, u will learn a lot n get a lot of experience compare to MASS multi tabling...
      3. Read all the basic articles, take note on players (pokerstars had a very good system for taking note)
      4. Most importantly dont Titl n follow the BRM.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      .?........
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      if someone would know the secret,it would not be a secret anymore,would it?

anyway,the secret is not to listen to secrets that someone else tells you at your request
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Playing against players that are worse than me.
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      hi, I answer to your questions HEAVE. I play NL5-10 and sit and goes max 5 € and sometimes tournament, lately very rarely as they are very long and I can loose concentration. I play on pokerstars and an Italian site just to get my strategy points. I started 2 years ago but playing more seriously last 6 months. I play usually 8 tables sometimes even more because I want to play just premium hands but lately the wind is not running good... how did you make such an improvement?
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      i have seen amazing charts with people that can make 2000€ at least per month... can you post chart? and explain how you reach that level thanks
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cekpirus88
      i have seen amazing charts with people that can make 2000€ at least per month... can you post chart? and explain how you reach that level thanks
      LOL @ chart earning people 2k a month...poker is a very dynamic game, not static...
    • shichibukaii
      shichibukaii
      Bronze
      I think if you have the commitment and passion towards poker eventually it will pan out.

And brains too.
    • germany5590
      germany5590
      Basic
      Originally posted by shichibukaii
      I think if you have the commitment and passion towards poker eventually it will pan out.

And brains too.
      word! +1
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      i will list a few rules:
      1.have confidence in you, just not too much
      2.always learn and don't be stupid, if you think you are good enough to beat the games you'r playing, you are stupid, go learn
      3.game selection is one of the main things you have to concentrate on
      4.be honest with yourself
      5.use hand evaluation forums as much as you can, they really are amazing, even if you don't post, just try to comment on every new hand for a month and you will see results come.
      6.follow BRM at all times
      7.start a blog(not a must, but it helps)
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      could you post your graph here?
    • FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      Win or lose, have sex after every session.
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FingersMalone
      Win or lose, have sex after every session.
      this
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      a part for this???
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Success can only be gauged on an individual basis. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can make boat loads of cash playing poker online like others show you they have. Likewise, don't compare yourself to others when it comes to earnings since it has no relevance to your skill. Many good players are very bad in certain games or under certain circumstances.

For example, I began grinding out FR NL2 cash tables back in November of 2011 to no avail. By the end of December I had netted a loss of $1.79 after putting in 3958 hands. That's really bad...I just couldn't beat the game for some reason no matter how hard I tried. This January I decided to bump up a level to 6-max NL4 tables and after just 1029 hands I earned back $14.32 netting me $12.53 in the past couple months. I know that doesn't seem like much money, however I am unable to devote a tonne of time necessary to make a living out of it. If I was able to put in major sessions like many of the players you seem to want to emulate, I could probably build up a fairly nice bankroll if I continued on the same successful path.

My point here is that only you know what type of player you are, and which games you can beat. I enjoy playing 6-max tables more than FR tables simply because I love to get in the action and mix it up quite a bit, and I have fairly good success with it. Pairing my abilities and tendancies with a game that compliments my style of play is what has helped me get back in the green. If you find FR tables are beating you up, maybe put more time in at the books, and play around on different tables to find out where you are more comfortable playing.

By the sounds of your desperate attempts to find out what others are successful playing, I can only assume you havn't found a game you are truely comfortable playing yet. I think taking some time to analyze your own hand history could help you find out what leaks are in your game to adjust, or help you decide which games you might be more successful at. Maybe even a little of both.

Don't get discouraged, and above all, don't try to play like someone else, just play how you are comfortable playing. Good players strive to be like their idols with minimal success, great players have been successful playing like themselves.
    • wiathphkRwi
      wiathphkRwi
      Bronze
      you cant win, its rigged
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey cekpirus88,

Ask any successful player and I think they will mostly give the same answer; 'Hard work; lots and lots of hard work!'

...Oh and the sex idea thingy is good to! :D

Have fun,

Mal.
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by UTGDog
      Success can only be gauged on an individual basis. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can make boat loads of cash playing poker online like others show you they have. Likewise, don't compare yourself to others when it comes to earnings since it has no relevance to your skill. Many good players are very bad in certain games or under certain circumstances.

For example, I began grinding out FR NL2 cash tables back in November of 2011 to no avail. By the end of December I had netted a loss of $1.79 after putting in 3958 hands. That's really bad...I just couldn't beat the game for some reason no matter how hard I tried. This January I decided to bump up a level to 6-max NL4 tables and after just 1029 hands I earned back $14.32 netting me $12.53 in the past couple months. I know that doesn't seem like much money, however I am unable to devote a tonne of time necessary to make a living out of it. If I was able to put in major sessions like many of the players you seem to want to emulate, I could probably build up a fairly nice bankroll if I continued on the same successful path.

My point here is that only you know what type of player you are, and which games you can beat. I enjoy playing 6-max tables more than FR tables simply because I love to get in the action and mix it up quite a bit, and I have fairly good success with it. Pairing my abilities and tendancies with a game that compliments my style of play is what has helped me get back in the green. If you find FR tables are beating you up, maybe put more time in at the books, and play around on different tables to find out where you are more comfortable playing.

By the sounds of your desperate attempts to find out what others are successful playing, I can only assume you havn't found a game you are truely comfortable playing yet. I think taking some time to analyze your own hand history could help you find out what leaks are in your game to adjust, or help you decide which games you might be more successful at. Maybe even a little of both.

Don't get discouraged, and above all, don't try to play like someone else, just play how you are comfortable playing. Good players strive to be like their idols with minimal success, great players have been successful playing like themselves.
      lol at this post