Rollercoaster 18max SNGs

• Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      [img][IMG]https://img862.imageshack.us/img862/9283/graphy.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I strictly play 18-max SNGs on stars, i dropped down to the $7 limit, are these swings that normal for 18max? Every 200-300 games i hit a downswing, which is a couple times a month.

My latest upswing as you can see countered the previous downswing with tiny added profit, if any, then yesterday I had a bad feeling that another downswing was coming as i was running good, i tried not to think like this as its bad for your mental game so i just continued playing my normal game.

Didn't feel like i was playing my A game but i was still playing fine, the entire time, and after 72 tourneys i stopped playing because it was apparent i hit a downswing, at first i tried to play through it making good decisions but it didnt help. -$200.

Now today i played another session, despite a downswing yesterday, everyone says you just play through it if you continue to play good. I felt like i was playing my A game, felt like i was ITM quite well at the start, and yet for those $100 games i was still on a downswing. $-200.

I was up to $700, close to climbing back up to my $15 limit, and now downswing back to $300.. Everyone has downswings but are they this frequent? Upswing -> Downswing -> Upswing -> Downswing, it feels like im not actually making any progress and the swings are just keeping me in the same spot.

I had a graph of another 2000 games with the exact same thing on another site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 15 replies
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      bump
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hi Akcus,

I don't play SnG's myself, but I have moved your thread to the SnG section where you will hopefully find a little help as I'm sure there are more people that will see this post and be able to help with your questions.

Best Wishes,

Danny
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      with the heavy volume you put in it would seem that you have some leaks that catch you occasionally and in combination with variance hurt your game.. Could you post some stats/info about your style, positioning in payouts, when you get those etc?

Would it be correct that you read the book, know the icm etc? :f_cool:
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dubadal
      with the heavy volume you put in it would seem that you have some leaks that catch you occasionally and in combination with variance hurt your game.. Could you post some stats/info about your style, positioning in payouts, when you get those etc?

Would it be correct that you read the book, know the icm etc? :f_cool:
      Hi. Omw to step-dads bday so I don't have my comp on me. I'll post more detailed information tonight. I had a sample of 50k hands I think in hem2 for sngs, 13.5 vp$ip 10 pfr 4.7 3bet %. I compared to a spewy reg I had about 1500 hands on and who was winning quite a bit, seems my Vp$ip lower to his 17-19. 3bet same, my pfr lower too.

I generally play pretty tight early and loosen up at blinds are stealable. Im not rue which book you refer to but I've read icm from PS articles and have studied the icm calculator. I practices hundreds of hands just the other day before downswing with 95% correct. Some spots are just silly where ur in bb200 with 500 stack and 97s ur supposed to fold to a 10k stack all-in heads up lol.

I have trouble actually identifying costly leaks and not sure how to. I study videos and try to compare myself with regs at the tables.

I've just looked at stats last night about finishing placement. I have a good chunk in 7th as I often find myself short stacked on multiple tables at that time an icm push medium hands to get some chips.

I think I have 40% ITM with most going to 3rd place, I have lower 4th place finishes but my 1st place are much lower than 3rd and what I would like.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Also how do i get that red line on my HEM2 graph, luck adjusted winnings? just copies the green line exactly. Tournaments imported incompletely? How can i fix that?
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Identifying leaks and reviewing your game.

After a session.

-1 Analyse all the allin / 1000+ chips hands in the replayer.
      Did you make the right decision? Based on the statistics of all the players, does the HoldemManager stats support that decision.

-2 do the same for hands where you had the nuts: could you extract more value?

-3 Compare your session MAIN stats: VPIP/PFR to other sessions and your overall stats.

If anyone has more suggestions feel free to post.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Another super swing, though I'm not complaining this time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Akcus
      Also how do i get that red line on my HEM2 graph, luck adjusted winnings? just copies the green line exactly. Tournaments imported incompletely? How can i fix that?
      There's no redline for MT-Sngs
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      That's unfortunate.

Can't wait to play my $15 limit and really set goals for long-term grinding. Considering my wild swings however, I think maybe I should use closer to 100 buy-in BRM for safety. I'm at $770 but I just got over a 57 buy-in downswing. Could cripple me if I move up too soon. Anyone else agree?
    • ionasnorbert
      ionasnorbert
      Bronze
      Wow congrats on your upswing sir! Pretty sick graph imo, i also play 18 mans
      this is my graph so far:

Ignore the red line though, it's some mistake cause hem saw a bunch of my 18 man as 9 man sngs. This graph contains everything from $1.50 $3.50
      and $7.00 18 mans.
      I've played like 1000 $1.50, 1.400 $3.50, and like 300 $7 18 mans

I ALWAYS play these with 100 bi BRM, my biggest downswing was for about 20 bi and b/e for like 500 games as you can see between 1500 and 2k mark.

If you wish to talk and maybe do a sweat session feel free to skype me, this is my skype id: ionasnorbert

Good luck at the tables.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Hi, the last month of games has been 4k - 6k games on the graph, and the swings are just insane up and down lol. right after that upswing there was a gradual downswing almost as far, then back up again.

A 20 buy-in drop isn't even a swing for me lol. I wish my graph was steadily rising like yours. I'd prefer a steady rise to show some progress.. instead of just massive swings up n down lol.

I too prefer a 100 buy-in BRM now, but I need to move up to $15s within the next 5days to reach my gold of 16,667 VPPs and pokerstars bonus $200 for the month. I play 150/day 5 hour sessions @ 20 tabling stacked. Take Sundays off now cuz all i do is lose, must be the double sin of avoiding church AND gambling on a holy day! lol.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      [img][IMG]https://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4382/dddddddie.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Yesterday was hilarious.. AA eight times in the first 30mins.. didnt see a single flop raising only 20bb to 60... 30 to 90... then the blinds are bigger and i get AA all-in on BB twice, lost to A9 and 89..

Today looked great, spiked up the graph and placed ITM often, played well.. then for over an hour i couldnt get ITM once.... thats a LOT of tourneys.. funny thing is i had a lot of monster hands... but every single one lost to 3-1 / 4-1 favorites..

What the fuck is the point..
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Sometimes you will see horrible downswings while you play solid poker. However, you will also see much longer and deeper downswings if you are playing break-even or with a low positive ROI than you will if you have a solid winning ROI. Cutting your ROI in half will deepen your downswings by a factor of 2, and lengthen them by a factor of 4.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      Sometimes you will see horrible downswings while you play solid poker. However, you will also see much longer and deeper downswings if you are playing break-even or with a low positive ROI than you will if you have a solid winning ROI. Cutting your ROI in half will deepen your downswings by a factor of 2, and lengthen them by a factor of 4.
      I've gone through so many videos and articles a while ago, just slowly escapes my memory, and i cant review anymore articles since Full Tilt closed and i lost gold status, a shame how much time and effort i put into pokerstars and this site and cant get any strategy points.

I'd rather quit poker than play on any of those other joke sites just to earn SP, and obviously i cant afford a $90 gold membership just to re-read and review material i've already gone over.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Akcus
      I'd rather quit poker than play on any of those other joke sites just to earn SP, and obviously i cant afford a $90 gold membership just to re-read and review material i've already gone over.
      erm... you could buy the $90 Gold membership, print out all the articles. That could be a +EV move in the long run?