A uni Blog: In search of not getting a Summer Job. Currently NL20

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Hey Everyone

Another day, another year and another blog.

Couple of things, I play NL20 SH, I'm 19, studying at York University doing a masters in Chemistry. Take from that what you will. And no it is not all just drugs and bombs :( but there is some of that mixed in as well.

As i write this i realise i should be revising for my exams in a weeks time and am wondering whether this blog is just going to serve as a tool for procrastination. Maybe.....

However this just mean it stays reasonably up to date .

Onto poker: Been playing recreationally for years any way i could, apart from facebook poker i refuse to play on that crap, playing freerolls and on a game i used to play all my income of ingame currency came from poker.

Quick to say i was hooked. I dabbled around and over a period of time got my starting capital on FT to $1200 which i was incredibly chuffed about. But over the course of my year at uni slowly drained my account and my time as i stopped playing.

This year is different. last August i was staked $250 to play on Ipoker and after 2 months of losing badly i spent enough time learning and started winning.

Here is the graph of my stake to date:

Added in with a few tourny bonuses plus rakeback. My Br now stands at $945 and my stake will be completed when i hit the $1250 mark.

Goals:
      • Finish my Stake by end of Feb
      • Get my weight up to 70kg (currently 64kg)
      • play min 10k hands a month

Oh yeah i'm also bit of a metalhead so expect quite a lot of heavier songs here than you will see elsewhere :)

GOOD LUCK ALL AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• 20 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Wacko,

Welcome to our blogs section :) enjoy and Happiest New Year to you!
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Cheers Ingrid :)

I've been on ps for a few years and have used the hand evaluation forums quite a bit, vast majority of my post count is there, and felt like i wanted to take a more active role in the community.

Hey presto another blog.

Will this be as interesting as others.... unlikely.
      Will this be as well written as others.... unlikely. (I do chemistry, i don't do essays).

But hopefully some people will follow and take an interest and can discuss interesting spots and situations in general.

However if no one does care least i can use it to procrastinate from work and track my progress. :)

Havent played much poker since the new year been busy seeing my gf and saying good bye to friends. Im back at uni as of tomorrow, 4 hour train journey, woop.

But i played 2 hours and up 2BI at nl20 so not too bad.

Very jealous of my gf as she is going skiing for the week while i have 7hours of exams to do *sobs* :(
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I was just talking to a colleague this morning about skiing!! I'm jelly belly for your gf too :f_cry:
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      #ingrid yeah it is not fair :( especially as i have never been before and would really like to go.

Not played any NlSh today spent the 4and half hours on a train reading clash of kings, second book in game of thrones series, and playing on my new samsung galaxy sII. Which is awesome.

I got back to my room set up, started revision and a couple of hours later just couldnt bare it. Im definitely gonna have to cram before these exams i know very little :(

As a respite i decided to earn some strategy points. My secondary account, which is linked, only has the $50 ps gave me plus now $30 extra :) . I play for recreation on this so games of choice are 7card stud and FLHU.

Dunno why but i really enjoy both these limit games, bit weird considering i have always played nl.

Anyway one guy, seems alright he is fighting back at good spots putting me through the wringer, but then he goes and spazes out like so:

$0.25/$0.50 Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      2 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      SB ($9.72)
      Hero (BB) ($9.29)

Pre-Flop: (1.4 SB, 2 players) Hero is BB A:heart: J:heart:
      SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB 4-bets, Hero calls

Flop: J:spade: A:diamond: 9:spade: (6.6 SB, 2 players)
      Hero bets, SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB 4-bets, Hero calls

Turn: 5:heart: (7.3 BB, 2 players)

River: J:club: (15.3 BB, 2 players)

Final Pot: 23.3 BB
      SB shows
      Q:spade: J:diamond:
      Hero shows
      A:heart: J:heart:

Hero wins 23.2 BB (net +11.2 BB)

SB lost 12.0 BB

I then took the remaining 6BB off him in short succession...

i also took $10 off another guy but after the rake, WHICH IS INSANE!, only ended up $5.88 up him.

BR on titan is $81 and main BR is now just under 1,000 Which is nearly awesome. :P
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Eurgh, did enough revision today to make me want to shoot Chemistry in the face. Especially certain topics taught by crappy lectures that have no idea how a microphone works. *sigh*

I played poker in my breaks and played about 2 1/2hours alongside 5hours of revision. Productive day.

Sadly winnings were quite so good, dropped just over 1.5BI first session and made only just under 1.5BI back in the second.
      But i did clear $20 of my christmas bonus from Betfred, so not a wasted day. Gotta love bonuses :)

Couple of hands im wondering about if i played right or not:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) IPoker
      Hero ($38.47)
      BB ($20)
      UTG ($20)
      UTG+1 ($39.52)
      CO ($20.30)
      BTN ($18.03)

Dealt to Hero T:diamond: A:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.60, fold, BTN calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.50, BB calls $0.40

FLOP ($2.40) T:spade: 8:heart: 2:heart:

Hero bets $1.20, BB calls $1.20, UTG+1 folds, BTN calls $1.20

TURN ($6) T:spade: 8:heart: 2:heart: A:club:

Hero bets $4.40, BB calls $4.40, BTN calls $4.40

RIVER ($19.20) T:spade: 8:heart: 2:heart: A:club: J:spade:

Hero bets $9.80, BB raises to $13.80 (AI), BTN folds, Hero calls $4

Hero shows T:diamond: A:diamond:
      (Pre 48%, Flop 1.6%, Turn 9.1%)

BB shows 8:spade: 8:diamond:
      (Pre 52%, Flop 98.4%, Turn 90.9%)

BB wins $44.46

BB is unknown and BTN is a fish. i feel he often has more hearts in his range than sets? but maybe should of played differently, maybe check the river and call. Otherwise i only get called by sets and 2 pairs.

Br: $1019 :)
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Quick update, as I NEED to be doing more revision for exam tomorrow morning. Really would like a first. :f_biggrin:

Had the maths paper today, i should of done maths, such a joke so easy. Shame only is 7.5% of 1 module. :(

Poker related, only played 2.5k hands so far this month, cleared $30 of my bonus and running a few stacks above EV. So cant complain really. :)

Played an hour and a bit today after my exam and profit was $1.75. 1.95BB/100 Sick running :f_cool:

And i know i said would be mostly a metal blog but i feel should post this.

Especially as not 10seconds from my house a unexploded WW2 bomb has been found and they had to close the street.

I got 99 problems but the bomb aint one. Hit Me!

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      a bomb? :f_confused: :f_confused: ?( ?( ?(
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      They were digging up the back of the working mens club down the road and found a WWII bomb. Police turned up and a fire engine and they closed the road, was very exciting. However i was too busy revising to pay much attention.

Exam yesterday went ok, was a bit pushed for time. Some things i realised after that i should of wrote differently but too late now. I reckon it is a 2.1 not the first i wanted but not an awful score. If i do well on the next one it will hopefully be dragged up :)

Played about an hour and half yesterday, over 2 sessions. Dropped 1/2bi in 1 and mad nearly 2BI in the over.

So not a bad day for poker. I have nearly completed my stake so i will soon be setting out on my own for a bit with $500 starting capital. Have the 80 on titan so roll my self $600 and move there for a bit. See how it goes.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Worst poker day ever for me now. Dropped 4BI at Nl20 and ran 2 BI below EV. was pretty grim. 1 opponent was particularly laggy and gave me an absolute terrible time. Didnt help he was running hotter than god and was up well over $100 bucks over 3 tables. gross.

Nevermind, was probably pokers way of saying why the hell arent you doing more revision for tomorrow you idiot!

So i will get back to that. :)
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      EXAMS ARE OVER.

Finally can have a break from chemistry. For two days.... I have 22hours of contact time a week minimum for the next 8 weeks fun stuff. Hopefully will be interesting. :)

Yesterday was a good day, exam went alright. Much better than the one before i think. Then to the pub for celebratory drinks. And then to a different pub to eat dinner. :f_biggrin:

Decided to go to the poker soc tourny finished in 9th out of 33 not bad, gets me some leader board points at least but 4 places out of the money :(
      However played cash games £0.05/£0.10 and left with £40 from my tenner :) got up to £18 and then got it all in pre with KK for the full stack vs QQ.

Ran good but i think i played well overall. After all my spending for the day i still ended up a tenner in profit :f_cool: So a win win.

Plan for the day is to grind some nl20 for a bit then go and get drunk at a house party. Sounds good to me.

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Had a really good weekend, very chilled. Managed to watch nearly 2 series of Hustle. Time well spent i think.

No update for a few days because i have been running colder than a polar bear.. Absolutely trash.

Here is my graph for january so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And he is a few hands that i feel sum up my situation atm.

Coolered :(
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($21.81)
      CO ($20.43)
      BTN ($22.29)
      SB ($21.30)
      Hero (BB) ($24.84)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) Hero is BB 8:heart: 8:club:
      UTG raises to $0.60, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: 8:spade: 6:diamond: Q:spade: ($1.30, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.97, Hero calls $0.97

Turn: 6:club: ($3.24, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $2.43, Hero raises to $5.80, UTG calls $3.37

River: 3:spade: ($14.84, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $14.44, Hero calls $14.44

Final Pot: $43.72
      Hero shows
      8:heart: 8:club:
      UTG shows
      Q:heart: Q:diamond:

UTG wins $41.54 (net +$19.73)

Hero collects $0.00 (net -$21.81)

Two against 1 opp who im postive im good here majority of the time:
      iPoker
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($25.28)
      UTG+1 ($10.84)
      CO ($20)
      Hero (BTN) ($26.43)
      SB ($52.86)
      BB ($13.66)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) Hero is BTN J:club: J:heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.60, 1 fold, BB raises to $4.20, CO folds, Hero goes all-in $26.43, BB goes all-in $9.46

Flop: 4:diamond: 8:heart: Q:diamond: ($27.92, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: 3:diamond: ($27.92, 2 players, 2 all-in)

River: 9:heart: ($27.92, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $27.92
      BB shows
      8:diamond: 8:spade:
      Hero shows
      J:club: J:heart:

BB wins $26.53 (net +$12.87)

iPoker
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($22.27)
      CO ($24.91)
      BTN ($9.80)
      SB ($23.90)
      Hero (BB) ($25.33)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) Hero is BB A:club: K:club:
      UTG raises to $0.70, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.70, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.20, UTG calls $1.50, BTN folds

Flop: 8:club: Q:diamond: K:diamond: ($5.20, 2 players)
      Hero bets $3, UTG calls $3

Turn: 10:diamond: ($11.20, 2 players)
      Hero bets $7.40, UTG goes all-in $17.07, Hero calls $9.67

River: J:club: ($45.34, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $45.34
      Hero shows
      A:club: K:club:
      UTG shows
      Q:club: A:heart:

UTG collects $21.54 (net -$0.73)
      Hero collects $21.54 (net -$0.73)
      BTN lost $0.70

i think all in here is the best, cos he calls pre with AQ so often and i dont think AJ calls flop.

And just two smaller hands to sum up how the tables have been generally going. small pots add up over time...

iPoker
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($25.91)
      CO ($8.30)
      Hero (BTN) ($17.70)
      SB ($21.29)
      BB ($20)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) Hero is BTN Q:heart: 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: 7:club: Q:club: 4:diamond: ($1.20, 3 players)
      SB bets $1.20, BB folds, Hero calls $1.20

Turn: 4:spade: ($3.60, 2 players)
      SB bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40

River: 7:diamond: ($8.40, 2 players)
      SB checks

Final Pot: $8.40
      SB shows
      Q:spade: A:club:
      Hero shows
      Q:heart: 6:heart:

SB wins $7.98 (net +$3.98)

BB lost $0.40
      Hero lost $4

iPoker
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($25.91)
      CO ($8.30)
      Hero (BTN) ($17.70)
      SB ($21.29)
      BB ($20)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) Hero is BTN Q:heart: 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: 7:club: Q:club: 4:diamond: ($1.20, 3 players)
      SB bets $1.20, BB folds, Hero calls $1.20

Turn: 4:spade: ($3.60, 2 players)
      SB bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40

River: 7:diamond: ($8.40, 2 players)
      SB checks

Final Pot: $8.40
      SB shows
      Q:spade: A:club:
      Hero shows
      Q:heart: 6:heart:

SB wins $7.98 (net +$3.98)

BB lost $0.40
      Hero lost $4

I had a crack on saturday at playing 6 tables rather than 4 as i was feeling comfortable with my game. Dropped 2 BI so i flicked back down to 4 tabs as my game was suffering and my red line was plummeting because of it.

Despite changing back to the 4 tabs the downswing has been brutal to me. This is biggest i have had in terms of money, but not BI in yet hopefully it wont get worse.
      Will have another session later and see if i run a bit better.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Well a few days since my last update.

I been playing pretty well though my volume has been pretty poor due to having a fairly busy timetable, I will comfortably make 10k hands for this month though. And next month i may try and increase my target.

I shifted 1BI overall over 2 sessions since my last update which has been ok, havent been coolered again yet lol. But my play feels like it was really solid so hopefully the giraffe will return in the second half of the month with a vengeance :)

Played the poker at my local pub last night ran pretty well getting dealt AK twice, AA and KK during the tourny and split first place prize money as went into heads up with 60k chips vs 3k chips and lost 3 flips in a row and then split the money. £20 up for the night it is not too bad.

In life issues gym is going well but im very sore.. not comfortable. wedsneday was legs day, bloody sore now. Tomorrow is chest fun stuff. I also ate 4.6k calories yesterday was quite proud :)

I wont have time to play much over the weekend as my gf is here the weekend and i have a lab report , to attempt to, write up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, will prob update sunday evening.
      Maybe someone will be following by then :(
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      K im back :)

Had a really good weekend. Was awesome to see my girlfriend again for the weekend had a lot of fun :f_biggrin:

Poker related, i cashed in 18th in both vip tournys on betfred, very odd. For $102 overall.

However played a session this evening and dropped 2BI. Not happy with the way i played, feel was quite poor. I seem to have an issue with getting paid off and i felt like i was always paying off other people. Nevermind.

Another day another time maybe.

Unfortunately maybe not tomorrow as i have a Whopping 8 Hours of lectures :( :( :( grim. More than a lot of history or english students have in a week. grim
    • lanopano
      lanopano
      Bronze
      Hey! nice read so far!

Always nice to know some people who appreciate Audioslave.. I feel sometimes as I'm the only one in this country who knows them :f_confused:

It seems we also have graphs and exams in common lol.. but I bet yours are more difficult :s_cool: ..chemistry..

Anyway good luck at the tables!
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Cheers, Mine were pretty hard but they are done now and that is all that matters. Get the results back next week very scary.

I made a BI back recently but have had very little time for poker. Especially since i spent all of yesterday doing my bloody lab report, started at 1pm and finished at 7pm. Fun stuff.

However i did go to play poker at the pub in the evening and finished first. Back to back weekly wins for me. And another £30 in my pocket.
      Not a bad way to round off the day.

Had labs today but now im done and after watching mission impossible 1 again and eating half a chocolate cake im ready to hit the tables again.

Lets see if i can run good and finally finish my stake. Im on $1150 of a required $1250 to finish atm.

Cheers
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Yesterday I played more poker than in 1 day than i have for quite a long time.
      Here is it how it went...

As you can see... Not the most successful day ended up down 3BB lol. I feel i played well though considering i got coolered for 3 stacks.

TpTK vs set of 99 in 3 bet pot.
      middle set vs top set,
      top 2 pair vs set in 3 bet pot.

Was 1Bi above Ev as i won my shove with QQ vs AK.

Hopefully today will go a bit better, also need to do some of my lab report, and im playing football at 8pm tonight. Gonna be freezing.......

Sign off.

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      January Wrap up:

Was not a great month for cash games. Started really well but then i went on a downswing and then broke even for a while.

This is now the worst stretch of play i have had since starting my stake officially in october and the first month i have registered a loss in cash games. :(

However the month was not all bad. And was positive after successive cashes in tournaments and rake back.

Winnings:

Cash: $-16
      RB: (including +$76 from staking affiliate) $186
      Tournaments: $102

Overall: $272

In other news. I entered a poker tournament at Uni yesterday £4 buy in with £30 top prize, not a bad tourny and a lot of fun.
      I bubbled in 5th when my QJ couldnt out run A10. :( But I had a lot fun.

Today was certainly interesting. Casual day in a chemistry lab. Some pillock contractors were taring the roof and set fire to it..... This proceeded to spread to the sets of labs i was in and then partially collapsed part of the roof on the analysis machines. Goodbye over £100,000 and if the NMR went up that is a couple of mill.... worth of machines...

But we had 12 fire engines turn up and got out of labs for the day so it was alright. Especially as the experiment i was doing was very dull.

Also won a tenner each for my group in a local pub quiz. For knowing the answer to the roll over question:

What is Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia the fear of?
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Well labs are closed for at least a week. While they fix the partly collapsed roof. So that means i have essentially no work for this week!!! :f_biggrin:

Feels weird, almost dont know what to do with myself. I do however have an 8 hour day tomorrow but then 5 day weekend bring it on.

That means will be time to get my grind on. Especially as the month started badly.

Dropping 6BI over the weekend while i was at my gf, she had 2hours of dance a day so i had some time to play, was grim. Lots of coolers and setups. However having my gf around gave me something i enjoy to take away my frustration :f_biggrin:

Lost $50 with KK twice vs KJ, first time against a flopped trip Jacks and second when he went all in and hit runner runner straight. Gross. :f_frown:

Sunday and today have gone better and im now only 2.5BI down so not too bad considering...

I now have a catalysis lecture snore fest. I only go for the sodding handout *sigh*

This week im determined to grind it out. So i leave with this song.

Btw, if you dont like metal you really wont like this song.

Signing off.

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Still running terribly....

Sigh this hand is very similiar to what i have seen quite a lot so far this month.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) IPoker
      SB ($20.28)
      BB ($25.95)
      UTG ($20)
      CO ($20.24)
      Hero ($40.32)

Dealt to Hero 9:club: 9:spade:

UTG raises to $0.70, fold, Hero calls $0.70, fold, fold

FLOP ($1.70) 9:heart: J:spade: 7:spade:

UTG bets $1.40, Hero raises to $5.20, UTG raises to $13.20, Hero raises to $39.62 (AI), UTG calls $6.10 (AI)

TURN ($40.30) 9:heart: J:spade: 7:spade: T:club:

RIVER ($40.30) 9:heart: J:spade: 7:spade: T:club: 6:club:

UTG shows J:club: J:diamond:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 90.4%, Turn 93.2%)

Hero shows 9:club: 9:spade:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 9.6%, Turn 6.8%)

UTG wins $38.29

Here is a graph. Im running quite bit below Ev but i dont like showing it as it does not include coolers or set ups, where there was nothing i could of done.

Anyway im going out tonight, gonna get horrendously drunk and make up for it.

So should be fun, now it is time for some dinner