[NL2-NL10] AK preflop 3bet or just Call?

• ReaZoN999
      ReaZoN999
      Bronze
      UTG1 has 35/31 over only 40 hands. He also has a huge 25% 3bet.

Should I 3bet like I did? Or just call and play it postflop? Was my play terrible?

Thanks!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $4.14
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $3.72
      SB (Hero):
      $11.25
      BB:
      $11.79
      UTG2:
      $15.73
      MP1:
      $3.95

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
      UTG2 raises to $0.40, 5 folds, Hero raises to $1.10, BB folds, UTG2 raises to $3.30, Hero folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.2.
  • 3 replies
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Hey Reazon999,

I think your play is totally fine. I mean you avoid variance this way. He looks kinda more LAG but that is not a big sample size. If you have reads that he could 4bet or even go broke light that I would call(raise all in in this case). I also very often try to avoid variance with the AK and QQ but against some players I dont mind to call. GL!

Btw. 3bet is fine since a call would give better odds to the BB to call and what I learned from Veriz (and proved by me to be true) is rather play AK 3bet/fold then in a multiway pot.

P.S. Congrats on reaching NL10. I didnt see any graphs in your thread.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ReaZoN999,

I like your play here, we don't really want to play such a hand as AKo in multiway pot. So therefore rather avoid anyone hopping into the pot and rather just 3bet/Fold as you did. Nice hand!

Another possibility would be of course to Call while we just have BB behind us. But now again the hand isn't that easy to play being OOP.

Best Regards.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Hi ReaZoN999,

Yes an interesting fold. Personally, I would call his 3-bet and peel a flop. You would't be pot committed. However, if you don't know the opponent then a fold is fine. I got into this same situation with an unknown opponent yesterday, went all in and he had KK...I lost. So you're 3-bet fold is fine.

Thanks