zealas

• zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Heya all,

I am 25 IT guy and I've decided go back to school again. Wish me luck.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      What is my motivation ... well of course money. Its not about big money but about the ability to have workplace independence. Which means you can work from everywhere. which means travel a lot :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Well a lot of them. I tilt too much. I have leaks in my knowledge and I tend to play almost any hand, however I miss the LAG skills...

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      This is an easy one. Tight before the flop, narrow range which gives the opportunity to explode on the flop and on the following streets.

This is from me. Will try to play a couple of hands and see if there are some hands for evaluation.
  • 12 replies
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      OK, so I played like 200 hands and I made 1.6$ profit. Which is not bad, considering the timeless times I was in situations where I had no clue what to do and I just folded.
      The good thing is that at least I folded. I will happily go to sleep now and post some hands for review tomorrow.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      I spent some time to read this post and can't wait to sit down on the tables tonight and see what I have got correct. What do you think guys is 2 tables SH or should I add more tables ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I spent some time to read this post and can't wait to sit down on the tables tonight and see what I have got correct. What do you think guys is 2 tables SH or should I add more tables ?

If you are rather new then just start with few tables and understand the basics and beat the limits. :) Also I'd advice to read the pokerstrategy articles as well.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Hello veriz, thank you for the nice words. Now yesterday I played a very short session and I actually won 1 BI. There were however several hands that made me in the middle of nowhere. Let me show you.

:club: AK reraised preflop

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1,97
      BU:
      $0,5

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , K:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,06, CO folds, BU raises to $0,12, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,27) Q:spade: , T:diamond: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0,1, Hero calls $0,10.

Turn: ($0,47) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0,14, Hero raises to $0,28, BU calls $0,14 (All-In).

River: ($1,03) 2:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1,03

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (As Kc)
      BU shows a straight, ace high (Kd Jc)

BU wins with a straight, ace high (Kd Jc)

Now here on the flop the guy has position over me so I decided that I would call his raise. Next on the flop, from his image on the table I can say that I made a mistake, even though I can hit the str8 its a gutshot draw so there is small posibility. Like 16% from the turn and the river I think. Next thing is that I really missed the fact that this is a high board and TPTK would rarely be a winner here. because this boards would hit almost any to broadway cards. Your thoughts would be appreciated though.

:club: AJ all the way to the river

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $1,32
      Hero:
      $4,18

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , J:heart:
      MP3 calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,10, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,08.

Flop: ($0,23) 4:heart: , 2:spade: , 2:club: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0,12, MP3 calls $0,12.

Turn: ($0,47) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0,08, Hero calls $0,08.

River: ($0,63) 8:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0,22, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0,63

Now here I raised the proper amount having in mind the one limper ahead. and made a standard (for my understanding) cbet because on this low board villain would rarely hit anything, neither will I. he called which is OK. on the turn however I should have noticed his donk bet and fold. Obviously he has either something good or nothing. In both cases I will rarely get any value from his weaker hands.

:club: Again AK not hitting anything

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $3,19
      Hero:
      $1,87
      CO:
      $0,5

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , K:spade:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0,02, BU folds, SB calls $0,01, Hero raises to $0,10, CO calls $0,08, SB folds.

Flop: ($0,22) J:heart: , 5:heart: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,12, CO calls $0,12.

Turn: ($0,46) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0,46) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0,28 (All-In), Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $0,46

I think preflop play is standard on the flop I make the cbet, I still have 6 outs for TPTK while villain will have TP the most in this case. What do I do on the river however ?

:club: JJ hit the set

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $3,76
      BB:
      $2,44
      CO:
      $3,83

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0,02, BU folds, Hero raises to $0,10, BB calls $0,08, CO calls $0,08.

Flop: ($0,30) Q:heart: , J:club: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,2, 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0,30

Now the question here is how do I extract more value ?

:club: 44 hit the set

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4
      MP3:
      $2,75
      CO:
      $1,21
      BU:
      $2,34

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4:spade: , 4:club:
      Hero calls $0,02, MP3 raises to $0,08, CO calls $0,08, BU calls $0,08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,35) J:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 4:heart: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0,26, 2 folds, BU calls $0,26.

Turn: ($0,87) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,2, BU calls $0,20.

River: ($1,27) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,27

... and again ... more value ? how ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hola! If you want them to be evaluated then please post those hands into Hand Evaluation section. It's really hard for me to evaluate this way. :) Homeworks and theory discussion is in locker room. Also 1 hand per thread please into hand evaluation. :)

Here is the link: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Thank you for the advice mate.

All hands posted in separate threads. I hope I am close with my thoughts on them.

LINKS
      AK reraised preflop
      AK missed the flop
      JJ hit the set. How do I get more.
      44 hit the set. More value ?

I plan to do homework #2 tomorrow. I've played a bit today and I am 1BI ahead. Which for my skill I think is awesome.

Now this happened today.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $0,56
      Hero:
      $1,95
      BU:
      $1,3

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:heart: , Q:club:
      MP2 calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,10, CO folds, BU raises to $1,30 (All-In), 3 folds, Hero calls $1,20.

Flop: ($2,65) A:diamond: , T:diamond: , 5:diamond:
      Turn: ($2,65) A:heart:
      River: ($2,65) 3:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $2,65

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, aces and queens (Qh Qc)
      BU shows (9c 6c)

Hero wins with two-pair, aces and queens (Qh Qc)

Just the hand before this one I made a note about this guy that he went all in with second pair and no kicker and somehow won the hand on the last street. The very next hand is the one above. SWEEET :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:

I wish you guys good luck and night at the tables. I have to go and have some sleep coz I have a test in finance tomorrow....fcuk. Today actually. Take care.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Just had an awful session that ended -1.5 BI what is really annoying is that I think I played the most important hand correct however the output is ... -2$.

I mean who would call a 15BB with 76s UTG ?!!?!?!?
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Well, depending on the opponents I tend to widen or tighten my starting hands range. Sometimes I can just call a marginal hand from the early positions so that I can call a small raise (I would rather not play this hand against a reraise). Generally what I change from the SHC depends mainly on the table. If the table is too tight I can freely play some marginal hands depending on the position.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation?
      Yes there are some questions. Links to the hands will be provided in a minute.
      Preflop mistake or just calling station ?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Well, this is it, by the way ... how can you evaluate it yourself ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, there are a lot of bad players who are calling really loose and from we get the money. And we rather should be happy about it, in long run we earn profit.

Sometimes I can just call a marginal hand from the early positions so that I can call a small raise

This is a huge leak if you limp in with marginal hands! You definitely loose a lot money with it, either we raise the hands first in or just fold. Only PPs on smaller stacks are profitable to play with limp.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Thank you for the nice words Veriz. I was wondering, what is the ... amount of hands one is supposed to play to win NL2, I know there are different people, playing styles, learning curves and so on... but any rough estimation ? like 10K or 100K or how many ?
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

FLOP

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      Call. The reasons:
      • The range of the oponent is really wide (being the CO) which means that he may always play Ax, or any kind of PPs as he may be calling 20
      • His line check/raise shows aggression which in my opinion would often represent a strong hand and not a bluff

Further evaluation shows that we will only win with all the remaining clubs (9). I don't believe TPTK will give us the best hand, having in mind the aggression by the opponent. Having in mind the dead money in the pot however, a call can be justified. For a call we have ods 91:22 which is roughly 4:1 for a club we have 5:1 (around 18%) which means that we would need the guy to invest only 0,22$ in the pot to make the call profitable. If he has made hand (what he is representing) I believe we wouldn't have problems making him invest further money in the pot should we hit. If we miss however check/fold the river.

Question 3: Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I do have a couple of questions however I have problems with the hand histories conversion. I have already started a thread here
      Edit:
      Those are some of the hands I get lost in.
      Two pair vs set
      Hard time folding aces
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!