To big rake? SNG

• moneymaker19
      moneymaker19
      Bronze
      Hello

I'm playing NL5 on stars as my main game. I also have 100$ on party. I'd like to play some there to so I can gain silverstatus here on pokerstrategy as I'm not registered through pokerstrategy on stars.

I know SNG players rake ALOT but is the rake on the 1$ sngs on party to high to beat for a sng-newbie like me? I should say that I beat NL2 bigtime and just moved to NL5 and actually made some big cashes (buyin wise) on tournaments with decent structure.
  • 2 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey moneymaker,

How come you are playing two completely different games with different bankrolls? Firstly I would suggest putting both of the bankrolls into one and staying with a game-type, this could be 6max/SNG's on Party, or 6max/SNG's on PokerStars.

If you look at any poker player who has won a lot of money online they have always stuck to one discipline and mastered the game. Once you are comfortable you absolutely crush one game-type and are becoming bored you can changed to something else. This happened in the mid 2000's as people got bored of NL Holdem and focused more on PLO.

I don't think the rake is too big for the SNG's but I would suggest having relatively aggressive bankroll management, although there is of course variance, as long as you read our beginners articles on SNG's then you should be able to comfortably beat the Micro Limit SNG's and gradually as you move up the limits the rake will become less and less of an issue as it decreases as the buy in increases.

Hope you fall in love with one game-type or the other and you can crush 2012 really hard on your desired site.

Thanks
      Patrick
    • moneymaker19
      moneymaker19
      Bronze
      Thank you for your very good reply

I like the stars software so much more then the one that party offer that I would be annoyed (tilted) all the time if I multitabled NL4. I would like to play everything on stars but I don't get strategypoint by playing there.

I get bored of a game format very fast so I tend to play lots of 9max then 6max and then all of a sudden I like SNGs the most. I don't mind that actually because I learn things about 9max when playing 6max that I would't have thought about otherwise.

I'm gonna have a go at SNGs at party when the promotions at stars is bad (now)