[NL2-NL10] NL2; HU: AKo against donkbet

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.30 (115 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A K
      Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 2 5 T (2 players)
      BB bets $0.09, Hero folds

Results: $0.12 pot
      Final Board: 2 5 T
      BB mucked and won $0.12 ($0.06 net)
      Hero mucked A K and lost (-$0.06 net)

Opponent's stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/Donkflop/WTSD/hands 64/60/3.5/100(2)/20/50

Is a fold on the flop too weak against this opponent?
  • 9 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Why should it be too weak? You don't invest anymore money into the pot and avoid any marginal situations. But again while it's HU, do you think it's the best solution vs the guy who is donking 100% and has done it earlier? :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      ut again while it's HU, do you think it's the best solution vs the guy who is donking 100% and has done it earlier?

Exactly. I don't think it is the best solution at all. But then again, I don't know how often he keeps betting on the turn and river after donking the flop or if he folds to a raise often enough. You know, I don't have any information on the guy. The question is - could I call to find out? Or do I wait for the information to come on its own.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      ut again while it's HU, do you think it's the best solution vs the guy who is donking 100% and has done it earlier?

Exactly. I don't think it is the best solution at all. But then again, I don't know how often he keeps betting on the turn and river after donking the flop or if he folds to a raise often enough. You know, I don't have any information on the guy. The question is - could I call to find out? Or do I wait for the information to come on its own.
      And what would you do on the turn? :) He can easily continue.
      Bronze
      And what would you do on the turn? He can easily continue.

I can hit a FD, a pair or a GS. While he definitely can continue, the question is - will he? If he donks the flop often, it should mean that his range is weak, which might make him slow down on the turn and maybe even choose a check/fold line. Not to mention that we might even be ahead with our AK high. This of course does not make any sense at all if most of the times he just bets the turn again and we have to fold. The problem is - I don't know if he does that.

Raising on the flop, however, just simply isolates us against a stronger range because we virtually don't get called by worse and we probably can't get better hands to fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why do you think we can't make better hands to fold? :) And even if we don't, do you think that is so big case?
      Bronze
      So raising would be the best solution?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      So raising would be the best solution?
      No, I am not saying that, against specific opponents we pick specific lines. Against some we are raising to avoid 2nd barreling from him. Against some we float and reevaluate it on the turn. ;) As I have said already couple of times, there is no default line in poker and never will be. :D
      Bronze
      I understand that generally it's opponent specific. Most of the times, however, I know very little about the opponent who donks like that. So what is the best approach without information? Call or raise?

One more thing - is there a stat that shows how often a player 2nd barrels after donking the flop?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I understand that generally it's opponent specific. Most of the times, however, I know very little about the opponent who donks like that. So what is the best approach without information? Call or raise?

Well, against one again. It can be played differently. Raising would be the easiest way to play the hand and just gaining fold equity right there.

One more thing - is there a stat that shows how often a player 2nd barrels after donking the flop?

Not that I am aware of.