[NL2-NL10] NL2; HU: A9o OOP

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $2.02 (101 bb)
      SB: $1.56 (78 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 9
      SB raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) J 6 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $0.09, Hero folds

Results: $0.12 pot
      Final Board: J 6 2
      Hero mucked A 9 and lost (-$0.06 net)
      SB mucked and won $0.12 ($0.06 net)

Opponent's stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/Cbetflop/WTSD/hands 36/27/4.0/100(1)/0/13

We have just started playing against this opponent and I kept wondering: is this not a good spot where to find out how our opponent reacts to check/raises? We have a backdoor nutFD and check/folding without knowing anything about him doesn't seem like a profitable way of playing the hand.
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Why do you think it's not profitable to just Check/Fold? You ain't investing any money into the pot. But do you rather ask me if you can Check/Raise here? Of course you can but you also have to have a further plan.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Why do you think it's not profitable to just Check/Fold? You ain't investing any money into the pot.

Of course, it's never -EV to fold, but you have told me many times that flat calling and just hoping for a hit is rarely going to be a profitable way of playing the hand. I just was wondering if this is not the perfect spot for a check/raise.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Why do you think it's not profitable to just Check/Fold? You ain't investing any money into the pot.

Of course, it's never -EV to fold, but you have told me many times that flat calling and just hoping for a hit is rarely going to be a profitable way of playing the hand. I just was wondering if this is not the perfect spot for a check/raise.
      Yes, it wont be profitable unless you start to play back on specific boards against specific opponents. :) Plus of course with Ace high you are very often even ahead. :D But it doesn't mean that we have to play back any board. Rather those boards which are less likely him to hit.
      Bronze
      I think that this is a good board for that. It's not that draw heavy and we have a backdoor FD.
      As for a future plan: we probably have to give up on most turns unless we get the FD or hit a pair. When our checkraise gets called I expect to be either up against a FD or a pair, so I would consider a bet on a face card turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I think that this is a good board for that. It's not that draw heavy and we have a backdoor FD.
      As for a future plan: we probably have to give up on most turns unless we get the FD or hit a pair. When our checkraise gets called I expect to be either up against a FD or a pair, so I would consider a bet on a face card turn.
      Well, that's HU. By just hoping on those stakes to hope an opponent folds any made hand right on the flop with just Check/Raise...
      Bronze
      By just hoping on those stakes to hope an opponent folds any made hand right on the flop with just Check/Raise...

Of course our opponent might call with most made hands. By check/raising I also have the expectation that he is folding weaker hands that I have a difficulty playing against OOP by check/calling.

A question:

If I have just started playing against an opponent and don't know much about him yet and I am being dealt this hand in the very same situation preflop, is it more advisable to just fold preflop or can I call and hope for a hit without playing back? The point of the question is - you've told me repeatedly that flat calling such hands with just hoping to hit is not going to be profitable, but at the same time we can't play back unless we now the opponent. At the same time this hand is very likely to be ahead of his range.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      As far I see the guy is even rather tight opponent I might even at first spot not even Call preflop. :) But rather just 3bet myself to get the understanding of the opponent.
      Bronze
      Thanks!