Watching real play or Play with play money...

• Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am sorry i noticed most guys here post about problems they have with the $50 deposit. Am I suppose to post these somewhere else?

I have been watching a lot of real play to practise reading flop textures and guessing what each player probably got based on their actions and position. Is that bad? Cause most guys dont use the same SHC and dont appreciate their positioning.

Also, just watching takes me out of the play, So should i play with teh play money account more to experience the game. :P

Also, quick side question: TAG doesnt mean playing with only very strong and strong hands right? So if you got 87s in a late position, Raise is good play. -- a huge thank you goes to Debelinko if that is. cause I wouldnt have realized this if I havent been haunted by the "too tight" comment he left me in another post.
  • 6 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Odieone,

TAG means playing few strong hands, and playing those very aggresively. Mixing in suited connectors once in a while for deception is also part of this. If you want to watch other people play (you can learn a whole lot from this) I really suggest looking into our video section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/

Lots of NL basic videos and a couple fixed limit ones to learn from. Coachings are also good for this. The problem with play money play is simply that the other player seldomly play "real" or "serious" poker but just dont around with any 2 cards.

These kind of posts are probably better under "Cashgame Discussion" or General discussion as more people tend to look there ;)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hello Odieone,

It's really good to learn the game by watching others playing. As an observer, you can find out many players' mistakes and learn from them. I think it makes little sense if you want to improve your game at play money tables simply because they will play differently from the way they would have if they were in a real money table.

Good luck!
      thunderbird56
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Thanks SoyCD, Thanks Thunderbird...

Actually I try to achieve different things when I watch the real play. I try to understand the textures and seeing how people play with their cards. trying to understand if they are tight or loose because alot of times you gotta be pretty quick. I find I am starting to sense why you play different cards at the positions you play..

But It aint all rosie cause I find i get fooled by one very loose player and I can guess his cards. But often, I would lose to another player who is a check bettor who doesnt raise with an AK and coasts so I lose sight of him. :rolleyes: oh well more to learn i guess.

With the play money, I wanted to take the money out of it and understand my pocket cards and positioning a lot more...

I will check the other posts in the different section next time in the cashgame.

Thanks a bunch
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      would NOT recommend going on play money tables. only exception is if you want to learn the software. other than that, its a definite NO-NO.

you will learn a lot of bad habits (which can be hard to break later) if you do play money tables because a lot of bad calls are rewarded there. for example you will call any raise whatsoever with any pocket pairs hoping to hit a set, you will call any flush draw or straight draw, because if you hit, then you get rewarded. you might even learn to limp in with any 2 cards because hey, it sometimes hits trips or something great. and if you lose, you wont really be affected bec its just play money anyway, just click for more. even second highest pair often calls all-ins or whatever. play money tables have little semblance to real play and you shouldn't base any of your learnings from there.
    • Richmouse
      Richmouse
      Basic
      I do the same thing study the hands and I've noticed I can tell how the flop is going to turn out based on the two face down cards I get at the start of the Texas hold em hands when I play in tournaments.

Question: Playing by the SHC chart when the blinds are 20/40 to 100/150 and my starting pot is $1,500 dollars I always fold unless I have two AA, KK,QQ, JJ or TT. I don't ever bet 8,7 and combinations like this before the flop ever they just never win. I've experimented a couple times and those hands always lose every time. So other question is more advanced it's this:

You have a AK in your starting to cards before the flop I always bet this because It's a good bet. I get a Ace or a king on the flop, so I raise. At this point Other players always call my raise every time.

At the turn I got other ace so that is a three pair Aces high right? Right. So I bet again, I get called and then the guy in the position after me bets very high for this early in the game as the blind is only at the 100/150 level and he either bets $650 in chips or goes all in.

How strong is my hand now? Should I risk it and go all in? are should I fold.? OKay in this hand the flop is Ten, 7, 8, at the turn the card is another Ace. So I hold two aces in my hand and the turn card is a ace. I call the $650 and the river is a queen as the player betting against me shows his cards he only has A Ace and a 7. The dealer shows he won with a str8. How? I'm confussed. Help me understand I'm I losing because of my position on the board or did I lose because two pair ace high with the 7's low is a stronger hand then three pair of aces?

:diamond: please help me thanks Richmouse
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      @rich: a straight is any 5 consecutive cards like 6-7-8-9-10 or 7-8-9-10-J.
      Straight is better than 3 aces. 3 aces is always better than 2 pairs. 2 pairs better than 1 pair. you dont lose depending on your position on the board. pls read articles on this site under "strategy". they will help you.

(the hand you posted does not make sense, you might not have remembered it exactly right. did you have AK and your opponent have A7? then the board is 10-7-8-A-Q? then he wins with 2 pair, you only have 1 pair. there is no such thing as 3 pairs.)