Dback357

• Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello,

I´m a 27 year old medical doctor currently doing PhD studies at a medical school in Slovakia. I´m not a total novice in poker, but my experiences are a bit limited.

I cleared my first starting capital playing cash games with SSS. After I cleared it, I didn´t need to play a lot (no time limit anymore) and working responsibilities took over and I played very seldom. Later I received a bonus starting capital at another site and cleared it playing SnGs. Then the same thing happened than in the case of the first capital. :( Now I´m clearing another bonus starting capital at a third site playing cashgames with BSS. This time around, I don´t want to interrupt playing poker for any extended periods...

I joined the course, because during the last break from poker, I forgot a lot of stuff and this seems a great and fun way to re-learn the little I knew in the past and learn a lot of new things... :D

Best wishes from Slovakia!

I have a question. Do I have to participate at a live coaching and then post the homework for that lesson, or it can be the other way around?

PS. Another question....how can I see the coaching calendar for the course? When I click on the link, it says I don´t have the required PokerStrategy.com status...
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck Dback357,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

I have a question. Do I have to participate at a live coaching and then post the homework for that lesson, or it can be the other way around?

Live coachings ain't a must. :) But homeworks are rather a must to pass the course.

PS. Another question....how can I see the coaching calendar for the course? When I click on the link, it says I don´t have the required PokerStrategy.com status...

You can find the Schedule in the Coaching feedback thread from. Which link is in my signature Beginners Course. Which link do you click, could you tell me so I can fix it?

Best Regards.
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello Veriz,

thanks for the welcome and aswers. I´ll post my homework in the evening, right now I´m at work, so the only thing I can do is to try to solve the problem with the coaching schedule.

So.....I clicked on your link to the course overview......then I went to lesson 1 overview and tried to click this link without success:

3. - Attend the live coaching sessions: Coaching is repeated every 4 weeks. Take a look at the Beginners Course Coaching Calendar to find out when the next live coaching session for lesson 1* will take place: » To the coaching calendar

It says, -

Access denied. Unfortunately you are not yet able to access this part of the forum since you don't have the required PokerStrategy.com status. In order to find out what status levels there are and how you can reach them, check the following link: The Member Rewards System of PokerStrategy.com If you are new to PokerStrategy.com, you can find more information in the beginner forum Beginner Forum If you are not yet registered at PokerStrategy.com follow the following link Link

Best wishes!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there Dback357, how are you?

With regard to the link you say won't give you access, can you post the link and we'll take a look at it for you? I tried a couple of links and they worked for me, but I'm a luckbox anyway! :D
      You should though, be able to access the course coachings schedule being a Silver status.

Best regards and we'll get there!

Mal.
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello Gadget51,

here is the link:

Live Coachings Calendar

This gives me the access denied message.

Best wishes!
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello,

here is my homework for the first lession.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I think, I have the same two motivations as most of us- having fun while playing and eventually earning money. I don´t have as much time to play as some other people, so my progression through the limits will be slow. Earning reasonable money is only a distant possibility now. For now, I enjoy learning how to play correctly and eventually moving into higher limits.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Wow...this is a difficult one :D ... People often don´t see themself in a realistic way. In my opinion, my biggest weakness in poker is my biggest asset in real life. I just can´t give up. In real life, if I want to achieve something I go for it no matter what...this is obviously bad if you have TPTK or 2 pair on an awful board and face a raise on the river. :) This is something what is in me deeply, so it will take some time to eliminate......I have to repeat to myself, that this is not "GIVING UP", just avoiding burning my money... :D

The second thing is the adrenalin rush during a hand. Sometimes I can literally feel my carotic arteries pumping in my neck and I can´t think as clearly, as when I´m trying to evaluate someone´s hand in the forums.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight means that we play only reasonably strong hands preflop. This is good, because we can avoid marginal spots with weak hands postflop. We only play hands which are stronger than the range of the opponent, or are weaker, but have good equity and playability against his range. We are aggressive (bet or raise more often than call), because with this approach, we are the ones, who shape the action and not the ones who just simply react. We want to force our opponent to make mistakes, so we have to put pressure on him.

Ohh...the last thing. I still can´t open the courses coaching schedule. It´s not a big problem, because I can find the coachings on PS main site, but without a schedule I don´t know which topic will get discussed that time.

Best wishes!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there Dback, sorry about the delay.

Not being able to access the link has nothing to do with your status in this case, it's just that the link takes you to an out of date page. So, when the schedule is finalized for 2012, I or one of my colleagues will get back to you with more information. :)

Meanwhile have fun with the course,

reards,

Mal.
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello Gadget,
      thanks for the help. I´m sure I´ll enjoy the course. For example, yesterdays coaching was great...:)
      Best wishes!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Why do you think it's bad that if you want something to be done and needs to be done you concentrate till you achieve it? That's actually even good but in poker what comes into play where you start losing money is when to start to take revenge and there you start losing it. Or either tilt too much, for example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

The more experienced you get the less adrenaline and such rush you will have. Try evaluating and posting hands, it really helps out. :)

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.