how does it feel to run above EV?

• 11 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Its kinda funny now that i think of it, im usually more tilted running above EV.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      It seems that players who are consistently winning, based on their AllinEV, are generally running below ev and players who are consistently losing, based on the AllinEV, are generally running above ev.

This is most clear in one of the last N50 CAP videos where the coach has a database of 1 Milion hands on one limit on one site. In the video series he takes the stats of a number of losing players and, although it is not the point of the video, we notice how they, as a group, are running above ev. We also see his graph and he is running below ev. I have tried the same on my data base. I took a number of losing players and created an alias. This alias runs above ev.

IMHO there are 3 possible reasons:
      a) it is just a coincidence that winning players are running below ev and losing players are running above;

b) there is some inherent flaw in the AllinEV calculation. We know that this is true to some extent in multi way pots;

c) all the mad men saying that the poker rooms are helping the fish are not so mad.
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Could be worse, you could be losing :)

Anyway you have nothing to worry about. Its standard that we get sucked out on, poker does involve some luck.

As long as your EV line stays up its more than likely you'll be a winning player in the long run unless the poker gods decide to punish you in the sickest of ways.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi deathult,

The graph looks flipped, is that your standard format?
      I'm in no position to get picky, just looks like your graph measures buyins to me! Sorry! :f_confused:

I usually have the main variable on the 'Y' axis is all, but more than happy to be educated.

regards,

Mal.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Like an axe hanging over your head. That's what running over EV feels like. GL!
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Maybe here is someone who is running above EV in 10k hands our in 1k tournies?

Post some graphs :D
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Don't have a graph but a few days ago I played 2 h session, during which I ran 900 bb above EV. I would have played more but all of my opponents eventually left the table.
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi deathult,

The graph looks flipped, is that your standard format?
      I'm in no position to get picky, just looks like your graph measures buyins to me! Sorry! :f_confused:

I usually have the main variable on the 'Y' axis is all, but more than happy to be educated.

regards,

Mal.
      why wouln't it measure BI's ? I think this is a graph of 6-max STT, therefore HEM has the ability to measure it in BI's.

The most accurate EV calculations in SnG are HU SnG, however 6-max should be pretty accurate as well
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      I'm only 66 buy ins below over my last 1.5k tourneys, sucks to be you :P
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      I imagine its like being a Male praying mantis. Its awesome right up until she turns round and bites your head off
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Thank you for the education pavels, it's appreciated.

and I think CallumN just about nailed the answer for me, lol.

Best regards all,

Mal.