No limit vs Limit Hold'em?

• Easytee
      Easytee
      Basic
      What exactly is the difference between no limit and limit hold em? As someone who is trying to get into poker what do you think is a better learning environment for a beginner? Is limit or no limit more efficient to learn from.

Also, on an unrelated note, do you think it would be better to learn with play money or should I make a deposit on a room site? I'm from the US so I cannot redeem the $50 deposit. I'm not sure if playmoney rooms would lead to efficient practice because players would make stupid decisions that they wouldn't necessarily do in real money games.
  • 3 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I've never played Limit Poker, so I can't help you out there im afraid.

Avoid Play Money, You will not take it serious enough imo. Even if you was to sit in a $0.50 Tourney, knowing its Real cash will make you play so much harder! Deposit $10, and just play around in the Micro's :)
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      However if you decide to not skip the "playmoney stage" then I suggest you to not stay there for longer that a week. I've played in partypoker playmoney and facebook - the highest stakes there are much easier than even nl2. I feel like god + Phil Ivey himself when I play highest stakes playmoney :s_grin: I wish nl2 was so soft :f_mad:
      Originally posted by Easytee
      I'm not sure if playmoney rooms would lead to efficient practice because players would make stupid decisions that they wouldn't necessarily do in real money games.
      Of course playmoney won't teach you good poker, it will only teach you the basics like "there are 3 cards of the same suit - flush is possible", "the guy to my left folded like 30 hands in a row so far and now he open raises allin 200bb - he probably has something, I better fold my 7:heart: 2:club: " or even "wow, it turns out my 2:diamond: 2:heart: on 7:spade: J:spade: J:club: A:spade: 7:diamond: board is no good, I better not valuebet it on the river vs 5 people next time".
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global

This guy probably plays LHE... With a SPOON!

Betting formats change the game dramatically.

I tend to Limit hold'em and Limit Omaha are much more simlar than NL hold'em and Limit holdem.

If you want to learn the game, my general suggestion is to try and identify strategies that good players appear to use for various game formats and then try and learn the game you seem to understand the least.

In otherwords, maybe the best thing for a beginner is to get lost down the rabbit hole for a while. I've been playing LHE for about 3 years steady and I don't even know how many things I don't know... but theres probably quite a lot.

Mixed games seem to be trending up in popularity now. I thin they usually play with a Limit betting structure.

Afaik, on a $50 deposit, its hard to have a proper bankroll for NL. In LHE having 500+ BBs (1000 big blinds) is a good amount. In NL, i think serious players encourage having 50 buyins for your stakes. (50x100 big blinds = 5000 big blinds).

In both cases, having a big BR is to keep your chances of going broke low.