Mystical 40/25 midstakes players

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Ok so I've been playing NL400 at a small site. I've noticed several regs there who play 40/25. Those stats don't suggest they are solid, but they actually play well postflop. There are at least 10 players who have those similar stats and they seem to be winning playes over few months.

So basically they are solid exept for preflop stats - their call PFR is around 20-30% and they rarely fold to 3-bets (usually around 20-30% too). At first I thought I can exploit those guys since their range is weaker on the average. A few minutes ago one of those guys called my button steal from SB with 97o and hit two pair. I mean, I know it's a blind battle but 97o, seriously?

I'm trying to figure out if they are using some kind of weird strategy (unknow to me), or if they are some kind of post-flop geniuses or if they are just a bunch of lucky donks. And yet, what amazes me most is the number of them. At least 10 people with similar stats. Possible collusion or multi-accounting maybe?
  • 2 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Its been a while since i played cash, but its not that out of the ordinary for guys to be playing 40/25 or in that neighborhood at midstakes and higher - especially if its a smaller site and they're not able to mass multitable.

Flatting 97o sounds more than standard in his spot through, especially if your button steal is over 50% and youre not the type to barrel through your air and dont have super aggro postflop tendencies.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I playt a similar style if playing shorthanded and the game is running 4 handed or so. If there is a fish playing then their stats could look alot looser because they are iso raising alot more and playing more pots in position vs the fish.