michel2311

• michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      First some introduction:

I'm Michel and live in the Netherlands and 35 years old (or young :D ). Started playing poker for real money about a half year ago. In the beginning I played on Party with a small BR. Sometimes I won and sometimes I did lose. In november I found (by accident) Pokerstrategy and I just give it a try. Downloaded several documents and watched some video's. In the 3 months I play with the starting capital it goes up and down. I've played a lot of things to try out what type of game fits the best (FR BSS, FR MSS, SnG, SH BSS). At all disiplines I start with a upswing and then fall down resulting that I'm still break-even after this time.

Main reason I think is that when I read a document and gonna try it at the tables I do it wrong. I just do something that I thinks is good and forget things learned in the documents. Also I'm reading a lot but this is at random today preflop and tommorow turn-documents not fully mastering the preflop and flopdocuments.

So I'm very happy that I found this beginners course!! :f_biggrin: It gives me a guidance what to learn and when to learn. I wil reset my brain :D and start from scratch on.

And my excuses for my bad English it's not my native language so sometimes the text shall contain an error. :f_biggrin:
  • 50 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hello Michael,

Welcome to our Beginners course! :) Wish you a pleasant and educational stay ;)

Ingrid
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Answer 1: I like cardgames play them all my life. Started out with some dutch cardgames and live poker just for fun on high school. Then started with the playmoney and now playing with real money. And it's very nice that I can make some money with poker. Hope someday that I've learned enough to get some $$$ that I can spend on luxuries. :s_cool:

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Answer 2:
      1)Biggest leak I know is that I play too aggressive, cbetting almost every flop and turn. I cbet for bluff in multiway-pots and against players that don't fold on cbets. Most times I continu this on the turn to look if they fold.
      2)Also I overplay hands when I know that I'm behind. For example playing AJ on a KJx flop and knowing that villian has a K. I don't believe it and think my pair is good enough for the showdown.
      3)If I don't get a good starting hand for a while then I go open looser. This results in a difficult postflop play.
      4)Sometimes, mostly in weekends, I make sessions of 3+hours and getting tired and lose my focus. And during this sessions I drink some beer...... very bad I know. :facepalm:

There will be more but I think this are the biggest leaks. Whole lot of work to get rid of them.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Answer 3:
      TAG is a strategy where you choose your starting hands carefully. You will only play with the hands that have a good potential to win the pot. And if you got a good starting hand then you play it aggressive to get some presure on the villain(s). This strategy works because if you play aggressive you can build up the presure on the villian. Most times you've got a good hand (tight) and you're playing for value. If the villians are under presure he must make quick desicions and will make some mistakes and pay-off your hands. Or fold sometimes better hands.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      So just played a session of 206 hands and had a little win of 36 cents. That's about 9bb's since I only can play on NL4 (lowest limit on Betfair :( ). In this session I didn't went to showdown for one time. All hands were won by folding. I opened 4 tables and had the startinghand chart in front of me. Tommorow again study and a session I think.

During this session I had my doubts about the call20 rule. When I hitted a set everybody folds. Tought can I play profitable this tight on nitty tables (player/flop between 18 and 25%)? <= LEAK!!!! But I stayed with the strategy and I hit a fullhouse out of my 55 and got a raiser in front of me. :)

Hope that this is a restart of a nice and steady pokercareer.

Question: I joined the coachingsession with Veriz but it allready was the 5th lesson. When starts a new coachingcourse? Now I will do it with the video's. :)
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Just did another session and gone just more than 1 BI down. :s_frown: I play according to the SHC but it seems that I'm calling more then raising pre-flop. My stats over 700 hands are 8.8/4.6. The gap is too wide I know but if the sample grows the gap will be smaller. I shall look if I can post some hands on the forum.

Question of the day: :D on Betfair the FR tables are very nitty. Players per flop most around 20% if you have luck and have a good table then it is maybe around 30%. Can I better switch to another room? And which room is good for beginners?

First hand: QQ against caller

And a little victory I folded AK, AQ and JJ preflop just like I should do according to the documents. =)
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Some hands of my session:

Hand 1:
      AK 1

Hand 2:
      TT hits fullhouse

Hand 3:
      KK against shove

All hands are already judged by Veriz. Seems I have to work on my bettingsizing. Hands 1 and 3 are a minor victory normally I should play them to the showdown and were now folded. And again I folded JJ, TT en AK preflop. Staying with the SHC pays off for now. :]

Session was good tonight, folded a lot of hands that I would play a week ago. :s_cool: And this resulted in a win of 140bb. Since I started with school again I'm now up for almost 10bb. :D It encourages me to study harder and getting better!!! :s_biggrin:
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Switched again to the SH play. Goes much better!!!

Had tonight a good session. In the beginning overplayed a pair TT and lost a stack(known leak) but I'm working on that. Stopped the session because I wanted to drink a bottle beer <= was!!!! leak. Today I've won 270bb so things are going well. :f_biggrin:

Also some hands posted in the judge section:

AK against flushdraw

AJ preflop fold???

Tommorow I'm gonna make my homework #2!! Where is the coach for checking homework #1??? :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Homework #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

If I'm in late position and there are tight players in the blinds I loosen up my range to steal the blinds. If the players in the blinds are quite loose than I play tighter than the chart. I'm also openraise with AJ+, 66+ and KQ from MP if there are villians I could isolate. All these options depending on how the tableimage is. More information means better dessicions. I will always look and think that my play is +EV.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

AJ fold on 3bet?

Hand in SH game. Should I fold this hand to 2 min raises. I think you should because OOP this is not a easy hand to play (for a beginner).

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Equity Win Tie
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BU 46.32% 37.91% 8.41% { AKo }

I used Equilab. :)
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Someone knows where I can find some info about betsizing???? Seems that this is not going well!!! I know that there are silverdocuments but I don't want to read them first wanna take this course then silver documents!!
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Yesterday again played a session on Everest 2NL, very fishy there. Now I'm understanding why it's so important to play ABC on the micro's. :s_biggrin: Only thing is that if I use the SHC then I'm very nitty. Have played now 1k hands on NL2 (very small sample I know) and my stats are 10/6 and a 3-bet% 2,3. But for the first time I think I've an edge on a limit. Running 30,9bb/100 hands!!! Not sure how long it last but the feeling is there. :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:

Hands posted for evaluation:

AQ preflop

QQ against callingstation

Maybe it's time to start a blog, little to active here. :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

First of all! Really WOW?! We have someone eager to earn here and that's really good. Sorry for me not being here but I having busy times myself, last year of university. :) But don't worry, all the homeworks and questions will be answered.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust somehow against tilt, for example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Well, if you enjoy playing poker then why not to play even if tired. But at the beginning I would still advice to take a break every hour or so. If you get more used to it you can hold longer sessions. And well, drinking beer may make you just less active on the tables. :( So watch out, would advice of course to play sober.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Question: I joined the coachingsession with Veriz but it allready was the 5th lesson. When starts a new coachingcourse? Now I will do it with the video's.

Well, just visit all the coachings. :) It's no problem even if you start with 5th coaching. I have made them so that they don't base on each other so much.

About your stats you are playing kind of fight for 9/5 or something similar. It's way too tight. :(

Can I better switch to another room? And which room is good for beginners?

Well, of course you can. Use moneybookers for example to move around the money but try to have the same currency on all your poker sites, easy to move around your money and no exchange rates. Try for example for those sites where you get those big freerolls from pokerstrategy like $10k which is on bwin this week as I remember. Not sure if you can attend anymore there. :(
      Bwin $10k freeroll
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Someone knows where I can find some info about betsizing???? Seems that this is not going well!!! I know that there are silverdocuments but I don't want to read them first wanna take this course then silver documents!!

It's totally fine even to read them. :) If you have time just open and read like 1/2 of the article and maybe later on another part. Don't stick to the Beginners Course so much.

Well done by the way in your last session you posted. ;)
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz for the comments!! Next week I shall study again and maybe i'm gonna join the coachingsession on thursday. Keep you posted.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Homework #3

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Done.

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Flop EQ:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Call. Hero got's 18 outs (flushdraw, gutshotstraight and 2 times overpair) so odds are 2,4:1 against potodds 4:1. If you hit you can also take some implied here so the potodds are very good.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

I've posted a lot of hands allready. Atm i still have problems with bettingsize, now i do standard 2/3 pot and higher if protection is needed. And maybe i'm playing too passive atm but i will post some hands soon to sort this out.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      And a little update:

My stats are improving a bit. Playing now around 11/8 still too tight imo. :rolleyes: Reason is that i've to fold a lot of hands in late position is someone is limping or raising, for example KQo. I've tried to raise or call these hands but my postflop play is not good enough at the moment. Playing to much for bluff then and that's not good on the micros. So i will stay with the SHC for now. :]

I'm running very good on NL2 (Everest) since i joined this course. It seems that the losing sessions are smaller then the winning session. I win more than i lose!!! And knowing that it only will be better if i study it give me confidence for the future. :s_cool:

I'm also playing at Betfair NL4 with my startingcapital sometimes because i must generate $50 rake before i can cashout. Last weekend i had here an session where i gone 278bb up. When i've enough rake i cash out and move to William Hill or Pokerstars (or both :) ).
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Some hands that i played today:

AA set on the flop

JJ way ahead/way behind

TT multiway-pot facing bets

Session went very wel (some stupid hands excepted). The stats still low for TAG this session around 10/6 3bet 3.9 and agression 1.25. Especially the last one is very low for me but i didn't got good hands to play after the flop. Session ended with a winrate 22.94 bb/100!!! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:

Average stats on 2.5k hands (small sample!!):
      vpip/pfr/3bet/agf - 10.1/6.2/2.9/2.75
      winrate: 19.53 bb/100 :s_love:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      My stats are improving a bit. Playing now around 11/8 still too tight imo.

Rather play tight at the beginning and learn the basics of preflop/postflop play, that's also the idea of SHC. ;)

Playing to much for bluff then and that's not good on the micros.

Totally true, you wont be able to bluff much on those stakes anyways. :D

I'm running very good on NL2 (Everest) since i joined this course. It seems that the losing sessions are smaller then the winning session. I win more than i lose!!! And knowing that it only will be better if i study it give me confidence for the future.

Congrats mate! Really good to hear about your progress, keep in touch and time to time you can even post graphs.

vpip/pfr/3bet/agf - 10.1/6.2/2.9/2.75

Kind of tight but at least you made a damn great session! Congrats #2!