[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH 88, Hitting a set

• Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Hello!

Is this board really that dangerous after such passive player raised? I think I played correctly, but not completely sure could I get more value..

$0.02/$0.04 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($7.01) 18/6/0/100/50/35/30/3,25/106 (VPIP/PFR/Fv3B/FCB/TCB/WTSD/W$SD/AF/H)
      Alleen86 (CO) ($5.97)
      BTN ($7.81)
      SB ($3.07)
      BB ($4.34)

Pre-Flop: ($0.06, 5 players) Alleen86 is CO 8:heart: 8:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.12, Alleen86 calls $0.12, 3 folds

Flop: 8:diamond: 9:heart: 10:diamond: ($0.30, 2 players)
      UTG bets $0.30, Alleen86 raises to $0.96, UTG calls $0.66

Turn: K:club: ($2.22, 2 players)
      UTG bets $1.11, Alleen86 goes all-in $4.89, UTG folds

Final Pot: $8.22

Alleen86 wins $7.93 (net +$1.96)

UTG lost $2.19
  • 3 replies
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Really tough spot. Worst flop for a hand like 88. Most of your opponents will be all over a flop like that. Only play I may have made here is a reraise in position with your 8s. You are usually ahead against most of your opponents hands so far, and the only hands that will 4 bet are ones you are racing like AK, or a pair that already beats you.

Post-flop, overall, I can't see how you could have played it differently for a couple of reasons. You made the proper reraise on the flop and were flat called, maybe a pair with a straight draw, couple overcards with a gutshot or something like that. On the turn I think you have to move it in here. By flatting, you are pot committed anyways and either way you play it, you are likely sticking your stack in no matter what. By getting it in on the turn you still have some fold equity here which is likely what helped you win this hand. Other than not reraising preflop, I like the way you played your hand. Well done. My guess he was holding something like J9s, diamond draw, or something like KQ and was putting in a blocking bet on the turn hoping not to get raised.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      I,ll assume that villan will play all his pfr from utg so at 6% I would give him TT+ AQ+ KQ and AJs.

Now from stats I would say this player goes to SD to often and when he does he seems to be showing 2nd best hand.

His FCB wouldnt worry me because stats says thats what he always does, his call well he is calling with TP+ or gutshot.

Turn: the only hands that worry us are his gutshot 34combos consisting of AQ KQ QQ.

So in conclusion in this position I would have floated the turn as he only has 8% chance of hitting his J on the river, and give him the opportunity to bet the river then I would have pushed.

I think there would have been a very strong chance you could have got more value out of him by floating.

Like to hear opinions on this play.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Alleen86,

Raise the flop pot size and then ship the turn. :) We need to protect our hand, there is no we can give them good odds. Which was for you what happened on the flop.

Best Regards.