Dealt to Hero 5:spade: 5:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, fold

FLOP ($0.70) 5:diamond: T:spade: 3:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.35, SB calls $0.35

TURN ($1.40) 5:diamond: T:spade: 3:club: K:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.90, SB calls $0.90

RIVER ($3.20) 5:diamond: T:spade: 3:club: K:diamond: Q:diamond:

SB checks, Hero ?????????

Are we loosing value if we check back river or what?? I am straggling at this spots!
  • 4 replies
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      First off, I would probably raise preflop to $0.35 - $$0.40 in SH play.

Flop bet was pretty good. 1/2 pot on such a flop is quite good, may even consider betting closer to 2/3 to help disguise it in with your usual c-bets on such flops.

The turn is where you played the hand badly. Turn card either helped him or not. Either way you need to charge anyone playing when a card like that hits and opens up the table to some reasonable draws. Since you made a pretty weak c-bet on the flop, even a player with a weak straight draw would likely call a bet as small as $0.90 in this spot since it would be well disguised (as you found out when faced with a big river bet). I would rather you raised to around $1.10 to a $1.20. If he has a draw he might still call if he has a hand like QJ, JT or J9 diamonds or even maybe AQs-AJs. Any hand he has with a K like AK-KJ or even weaker Ks will likely raise that card, and in the even he does raise, even when he has you beaten with a better set like trip Ks or Ts, you'll likely wind up getting it all in and chalking the hand up to bad luck. Here you should raise big here and force your oponent to ship it or fold it. Your hand is simply too vulnerable on the river if the right card peels off to complete the draws.

The river card is by far the worst card you could have seen. All his possible draws have been completed and given his passive play so far, his check doesn't give you any information on where you stand now. I would just check your hand here 100% of the time and hope to rake in the pot. You do not gain any further value for your hand by betting the river. It only invites a checkraise by a better hand or cause a worse hand to fold that you would have otherwise beaten in a showdown.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello frako17,

You should Bet bigger on the flop rather than 1/2 pot size. :) If he has a hand he is going to pay you. But otherwise just Check it behind on the river, he already has 75% of the W$SD and most likely he ain't gonna pay you with a lot worse there.

Best Regards.
    • frako17
      frako17
      Bronze
      I agree that i am loosing value when i do not bet bigger on flop and turn!
      But i think that i am loosing value also when i am not betting that river.
      He is a reg and a line like this (check/check/check) it doesn't look like he is on the top of his range.
      I think his calling range from SB is something like PP, JT, QT, QJ, KT,KJ, AT and we can extract value if we bet the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Take a look at his W$SD and you will get your answer that he wont ever pay with a lot worse, at the best maybe with some 2pairs if he levels himself to Call and even that such players may fold.