How to Play Against Fish at the Poker Table?

• albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      For those of you who haven't heard of the expression before, a "fish" in poker is someone who isn't deemed to be very good at the game. They're players who have never heard of things like pot odds, and even if they had they probably wouldn't worry about them.
  • 16 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      by being a fish eater :)

Anyway, i just aggresively playing againts fish. Mostly i win againts them, BUT sometimes i lose. Luck obviously.
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by albertkasper2012
      For those of you who haven't heard of the expression before, a "fish" in poker is someone who isn't deemed to be very good at the game. They're players who have never heard of things like pot odds, and even if they had they probably wouldn't worry about them.
      Keep the lessons coming.
    • albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      lol, yes thats right hahahahahaa
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Where did you find that info OP? Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      When I'm up against very bad players (loose calling stations) I usually raise most of my hands, that includes - any two from the EP and MP, play them hard, three-barrel most of the time. Another important thing is to make lots of hero calls when the fish gets aggressive. Take them to value town with pocket threes on a A5798 board, etc. GL!
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Just in case some of you didn't get it I was kidding. Just do the opposite and you'll be fine.
    • albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      I've research in the net, thanks guys for giving more info.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by albertkasper2012
      I've research in the net, thanks guys for giving more info.
      Hi albertkasper2012,

Why would you search the net when we are a very large and successful Poker School?

Have you taken the quiz yet and picked a Poker Room for you free $50 starting capital?

Let us know if you need any help!

Best regards,
      Gary
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      Just AI every hand vs fishes when you get AQs+ and 10's+ and u will win in the long run vs them
    • albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      Hi HollyMichelle , yes I know thats why I join the forum, At this time Im reading the information first before taking the quiz. Last time I've already try to take the quiz and i failed. heheheheh thanks guys
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      depend on the type of fish and the situation
      In general u always want to buyin enough to cover them if possible and have position on them (tho if this means being OOP to a good reg this can be sacrificed).
      Against super maniac fish u want to play a tighter range preflop especially OOP ofc depending on stack size. You generally want to make a decent hand and play it passivly ofc still fast playing your big hands. For example if a super maniac opens for MP and u flat OTB with QJo and the flop comes queen high u should almost always call if villain 3 barells on most board textures
      Against a loose passive fish, iso a decent amount IP if the table dynamic allows it. If the whole table is Loose passive (which is often the case in live poker) there is nothing wrong with seeing cheap flop and trying to make a hand. DO NOT slowplay in most situations vs these players. Bet/folding is your best friend vs these players b/c when they raise they almost always have a strong made hand, for example if you iso with AQ vs a really LP player and the flop comes Q87ss, bet but instafold to any decent sized raise b/c they always have 2pair+. Also use exploitable bet sizing vs these players. If you iso, get it HU and miss on a wet board cbet half pot but if you hit something decent just pot it or overbet and watch them call despite getting rediculusly bad odds.
      Extreme nits (old retired men) are also fish but they only denote minimumly and sometimes even play BE depending on the table. Just remember that they pretty much never bluff so if they bet/raise they usually have the goods. They also tend to get sticky with their big preflop hands. For example if me and an old guy are $500 effective at 1/2 and he opens for $12 and gets 2 calls including hero with 22 and the flop comess 245 we are pretty much always stacking his overpairs if we play it right. He will cbet $30, we raise, he calls, we bet big turn, he calls, we jam river he calls cuz us damn young internet players never have anything.
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      the info in the post above me is solid, but i guess its more leaned towards Live Poker. I advise you to get a HUD( Heads Up Display) Pokerstrategy Elephant and learn what VPIP/PFR are.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heave112
      the info in the post above me is solid, but i guess its more leaned towards Live Poker. I advise you to get a HUD( Heads Up Display) Pokerstrategy Elephant and learn what VPIP/PFR are.
      ya my post was leaned abit towards live poker but can also be applied online.
      Super agro fish generally have high VPIPs and PFRs and AF
      LP fish generally have high VPIPs and a big VPIP and PFR gap as well as a high WTSD
      Nits have a very low VPIP and PFR
    • shichibukaii
      shichibukaii
      Bronze
      FIsh are the hardest to play.

That's why I am one.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Limp with speculative such as 45s, JT, 22 Anything that if you hit, you will be bale to get paid big on.

Thats the way I like to do it anyway. Works with 888 Cam tables :P
    • albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      Thanks guys for all the information I really appreciate it :)