Adjusting ICM calculation result to include Hero's edge.

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Just started reviewing my played hands using the ICM calculator found in ICM Trainer.

Not sure how I adjust the calculated push ranges to include my edge, for example if I calculate the ICM of the following hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, 1 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (7 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (UTG) (t3250)
      SB (t5920)
      MP1 (t1520)
      MP2 (t2750)
      Button (t2410)
      BB (t2400)
      CO (t1750)

Hero's M: 5.42

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10, K
      5 folds, SB calls t200, BB checks

Flop: (t800) A, 4, 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, BB bets t800, 1 fold

Total pot: t1600

I get my push range at: 17%, 22+ A7s+ A5s-A4s ATo+ K9s+ KJo+ Q9s+ J9s+ T9s

So what should my 'real' push range be, thanks.

Edit: My guess is to take a hand or two off the range, so this play was very marginal either way?
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Why push fewer hands when you think you have an edge, why not push more hands? This is not a suggestion. You should think about the answer carefully. In many situations (perhaps not this one) you should push wider than the Nash equilibrium precisely because your opponents are playing badly and will call too tightly. In other hands, your opponents will not collide enough after you fold, so folding is worse than it is in the Nash equilibrium, so you can push a wider range even if you don't expect your opponents to call tightly.

In this situation, and in others where you are supposed to push a tight range, you might feel that your opponents will not respect your range, that they will call widely. If so, then you have to push even tighter, and hands like this at the bottom of your Nash pushing range are among the first to be dropped.

There is another issue, that of your edge on future hands. I don't think the ROIs of serious players are high enough to warrant making large adjustments based on this. Maximizing your expected equity on the current hand is usually going to be the dominant consideration.