Identity checks / giving away sensitive information

Bronze
      I am playing on William Hill and recently made my first withdrawal. I was requested to provide photographies of my passport, bank card and a utility bill (similar as the one ehre on PS.com). I covered the national identification number as well as the passport number and was asked to resend all the pictures again with all the sensitive data revealed.

I am uncomfortable about this. Especially after Black Friday. It is extremely sensitive data that should not be given to anyone just like that. I mean, how will I ever know if they use it illegally? It doesn't matter if there is a law not to do so and they are obliged to follow it. No-one will ever be able to tell. I am lost because I am obliged to send it. What do I do? How can I be sure it is safe?

Also, something similar was requested from PS.com when I wanted to receive the 50$ starting capital. I don't remember if I was obliged to reveal the national identification number or not.
  • 15 replies
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Hi Avatars91,

This is quite a normal procedure at many if not all of the poker rooms these days. They have to follow the laws of the jurisdiction they are operating and personal data is treated in the strictest way possible.

ID checks are different from poker room to poker room as I had to upload this when I first created my account at PartyPoker. This is to protect the poker room and also to protect you.

I can understand your concerns but a company such as William Hill will treat your ID confidentially and securely but you will need to provide the entire document information I'm afraid.

Hope this helps but give me a shout if you need any more information :)

Darren
      Bronze
      I understand that it is a normal procedure. What I do not understand is why should the fact that they have to follow the law make me believe that they will? I mean, there is a law that you should not commit murder, yet still it is being broken over and over again.

How can I know that they are following the law? We all thought FTP did and look at the situation now.

It's not even about if the company does it. Once I send those pictures, the person receiving them can easily download them or even just simply write down all the information and boom, suddenly I receive a notice that someone has registered a business on my name with my ID and I owe thousands of dollars to some guy.

How can I ever entrust such information to anyone, be it a "standard procedure" or not.
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Hi Avatars91,

They will have strict procedures in place within the company to make sure that customer data is protected but I understand your point. It's down to your trust in the company at the end of the day.

Darren
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I understand that it is a normal procedure. What I do not understand is why should the fact that they have to follow the law make me believe that they will? I mean, there is a law that you should not commit murder, yet still it is being broken over and over again.

How can I know that they are following the law? We all thought FTP did and look at the situation now.

You can never be 100% sure obviously. But pretty much every single pokersite i ever played on requested some sort of ID check so if you want to play online poker you just have to live with that.

It's not even about if the company does it. Once I send those pictures, the person receiving them can easily download them or even just simply write down all the information and boom, suddenly I receive a notice that someone has registered a business on my name with my ID and I owe thousands of dollars to some guy.
      How can I ever entrust such information to anyone, be it a "standard procedure" or not.
      You show your ID card to every bouncer in the clubs. Tehnically he could remember your ID card number and do the same.
      Bronze
      They will have strict procedures in place within the company to make sure that customer data is protected

Will they? I mean, I don't know myself, because I am not in the company. They certainly should, but is your statement true (e.i. do you clearly know that such procedures exist within the company?) or is it just a speculation based on the presumption that it is a trustworthy business?

You show your ID card to every bouncer in the clubs. Tehnically he could remember your ID card number and do the same.

That is true. And that pisses me off. How can such a terrible system exist? All someone needs to destroy my life is a number that is assigned to me randomly without my acceptance. This seems so illogical that the modern world really disgusts me.
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      They will have strict procedures in place within the company to make sure that customer data is protected

Will they? I mean, I don't know myself, because I am not in the company. They certainly should, but is your statement true (e.i. do you clearly know that such procedures exist within the company?) or is it just a speculation based on the presumption that it is a trustworthy business?
      From my previous experience of working for gaming companies I can assure you that these procedures are in place and security is taken extremely seriously.

Of course, I cannot speak for all poker rooms but your custom and personal details are valuable to them and they will make sure it stays protected :s_wink:
      Bronze
      Thanks for your encouraging words. I am still uncomfortable though. It seems wrong to me. The consequences can be very serious. As much as I hate it,
      I will have to trust.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I think your credit card cannot be used online without the 3 digit number on the back so it's not as bad if you're only sending a picture of the front. I have several accounts with several banks, keep your the credit card account you use for this kind of business pretty much empty.
      Bronze
      The thing is they require both the front and the back.
      And I am more unwilling to give away my national identification number. It seems so idiotic.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Safest thing is to open a new account at your bank and keep your money in that. Just in case the information of ur other credit card is stolen, there won't be much to take anyway.
      Bronze
      Good idea. At least it solves the bank card problem. But that is the least concern.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      As for ID theft all I can think of is that William Hill is at least a trusted company. Of course, we're never 100% safe as we learned last year. I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to risk.

Maybe it will help you if you kieep records of what, how and when you shared this sensitive information. If anything happens it'll be easy to claim your innocence because first of all, you are, and secondly, you have records of sharing the info.
      Bronze
      Thanks for your support. I may be a bit too paranoic.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Think of it another way.

You're happy to give them your bank details over the internet.

But you don't want to give them a Passport/Drivers License Number? :rolleyes:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Avatars91,

in my own experience, no pokersite will accept an ID with parts blacked out. if you think about it from their perspective, a person can make a false unverifiable ID with just a picture and name on it.
      if you want to play poker, unfortunately you will have to come to terms with this.
      it goes both ways, you dont easily trust, neither do they. and they have to protect a multi-million dollar business. thus, we see the importance of playing in sites you can trust. any reputable business should have strict procedures when it comes to money. if you think about it, a bank teller could also steal the cash you hand over to deposit, but of course he cannot.

i can understand what you are saying though. nobody could have predicted what happened with FullTilt (i dont think they were selling personal info though.) at the end of the day you need to decide whether that incident is enough to scare you off playing forever.

at least rest assured that i have not encountered a single forum thread in my years here where a user's ID number was taken to register a Taco stand business or borrow zillions or anything alike.

smiles,
      wendy