Sit N' Go Experts??

• PAOKHAWK
      PAOKHAWK
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

I would like to hear your opinion about if someone can be a winning player without studying poker...I mean is there any chance that you can just keep playing and learning just from your own experience?
      For example i've been playing for about 2 years and made some profit...although i never really managed to be a permanent winner (recently had a huge downswing too)!

And i would like some advice...Which articles and videos would you suggest to someone who already has some experience but never really studied poker...in order to become a winning player??
      I play mostly 6-max and heads-up SNG.
  • 14 replies
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Start from scratch
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Well it definitely is possible, but you would have to be extraordinarely smart and it would take a lot of time.. So just fuck that, read some articles and watch some videos.
    • PAOKHAWK
      PAOKHAWK
      Bronze
      Any good suggestions Alficor? Name some videos and articles that helped you and you think will be helpful for me too...
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      i was the same as yu, id agree with gerovit, start from scartch, if yu already get it yu can wizz through the beginner stuff but still have a look
    • PAOKHAWK
      PAOKHAWK
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice...i think i'm going to try read some articles and watch some videos to see how it goes!
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PAOKHAWK
      Any good suggestions Alficor? Name some videos and articles that helped you and you think will be helpful for me too...
      I didnt read/watched anything, because im extraordinarely smart and had a lot of time.. So i cant suggest anything to you, sorry.

Seriously, i watched just some cash game/mtt 6max videos (there arent many 6max sng), learned icm and thats it..
    • RastyGordo
      RastyGordo
      Bronze
      icm trainer will help you
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Being a poker player is like being a shipbuilder. The theory you learn is like a blueprint. Without a blueprint to work from, you will have to learn from mistakes, and it's a much longer process.

The only situation in which not learning poker theory would be fine is one in which you have an unlimited amount of time.

In a scenario where you have an infinity to play poker, you will eventually approach perfect strategy.

A lot of people rely on their intuition for some decisions. But this intuition arises from your experiences about what works and doesn't work in a situation. Theory crystallises your reasoning for what you do into easy to understand bulletpoints.

The real question is:

- what are the advantages of not learning strategy?

NONE.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RastyGordo
      icm trainer will help you
      with your shortstack shoving and folding this is true.

for 20bb+ it will not.

postflop play is important, especially as you move up the limits.
      Also the bigger the number of entrants, the more important it becomes.
      You need every edge to be successful.
    • PAOKHAWK
      PAOKHAWK
      Bronze
      Already tried ICM trainer...Helped only a little bit (doesn't work with bad beats :P )!!

I was also wondering what you guys think is better to play (if you want to be a winning player)...9 or 6 max tables...Which one can be easier to beat and more profitable??
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      shorthanded games are more profitable as they fill up and finish faster.

They are also the tougher of the two.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88

U kinda contradict urself with that post. If u claim in the second sentence shorthanded games are tougher, how can they be more profitable as u wrote in the first sentence? Maybe u meant that it's possible to have a better hourly with shorthanded games?

Imo the most important thing with poker is that u find the type of game u enjoy playing and learning. That should lead u to wanting to improve in poker. When u enjoy playing, learning and find a good way to improve ur game constantly that's when the money rolls into the wallet. Too many players spend too much time dreaming about earning the big bucks and not enough time figuring out how they could learn and improve their game better. The better u are the more fun u have ... and money becomes a side effect.
    • PAOKHAWK
      PAOKHAWK
      Bronze
      From my personal experience,i think that 9-handed is easier to beat because there are more players (probably fishes) that will pay you when you have big hands (although my experience in FR is not that big).
      In addition 6-max is way more aggressive and in my opinion needs a little more luck when you have to push that much...less players means faster action and more all-in!Also don't forget the traffic...In the i-poker network 6-max games have extremely good traffic but i think that the 9-handed have terrible traffic even in rush hour!!!

The sad thing is that maybe this is the reason why i personally find 6-max more fun...
      So the question is...You choose what you enjoy most and try a lot harder to improve it or you just pick the easy one and try to make as big profit as you can??
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      Originally posted by conall88

U kinda contradict urself with that post. If u claim in the second sentence shorthanded games are tougher, how can they be more profitable as u wrote in the first sentence? Maybe u meant that it's possible to have a better hourly with shorthanded games?

Imo the most important thing with poker is that u find the type of game u enjoy playing and learning. That should lead u to wanting to improve in poker. When u enjoy playing, learning and find a good way to improve ur game constantly that's when the money rolls into the wallet. Too many players spend too much time dreaming about earning the big bucks and not enough time figuring out how they could learn and improve their game better. The better u are the more fun u have ... and money becomes a side effect.
      they are more profitable because they finish faster. Why is this important?

It affects our hourly rate.

Remember profit should be measured as hourly rate. ROI is a good indicator if you want to know what to expect of a certain level, or you want to convince yourself you are a winning player, but 16 tabling a game that finishes in 40 minutes , is gonna be a lot better than 16 tabling a game that finishes in 80minutes... (this is just an example).

why? You can play more games per session. So what if you are winning with a 8% ROI instead of a 12% ROI, you are playing twice the volume.

lets say 8% ROI at $10 games is $0.80.
      you play 10 games an hour.
      thats +$8.00 on average.

if you play a game that filles up faster, and ends faster, you might be able to play 20 games an hour (for example).
      lets say the added effort and less time for decision making reduces your ROI to 5% roi,

5% of $10 is $0.50
      x20 = $10.00

so your hourly rate increased for $8/hr to $10/hr.

shorthanded games become even more convincing with rakeback.

If you are playing poker to make money, hourly rate is the number 1 concern.