[NL2-NL10] 5NL, Stealing with 22, turning 2pair

• MoneyDearest
      Hello everyone! This is my very first post on pokerstrategy :D !

Really I just wanted to post a bad beat (who ever sees quads coming...) but I thought I should at least have the decency to post a different hand for evaluation first ;-)!

Just to introduce myself briefly, I am a brand new (600 hands) player, trying my [s]luck[/s] skill on 5NL with MSS. I played limit for a few hundred hands, but MSS seems like its much more fun to play! :s_biggrin:

I thought I'd explain the situation from my point of view, even though the hand history is below, so you can see my thought process, and comment on my reasoning. I hid the results, just to make things interesting ;) , so please tell me your opinion of best action on the river!

I'm on the button with 2d2s. The table is folded to me, so I try to steal against a limper (fair to say fish?) on small blind, and unknown on BB. I raise to 15c, sb villain calls, and bb folds. Flop shows disconected small cards, T high. Villain checks to me, so I make a pot sized C-bet (35c), as I'm sure he's not going to fold to any less. Here I'm thinking I'm representing pocket pair, top pair, or a flush draw. Villain just calls, so I presume he's got junk. T comes on the turn, so I have two pair, 2's and 10's. He checks it to me, and as I doubt he is slow playing me with a 10, I make another pot sized bet ($1). He calls, again, showing no great strength, and I'm secretly delighted he hasn't check-raised me. River comes Ks, and Villain checks to me again.

Now, over to you, what to do, what do to??

Hopefully, I can get some replies, then post the results if anyones interested.

Also, please feel free to point out any leaks in my logic.

Many thanks in advance,

P.S. Great site!
      P.P.S. Please comiserate with me in my next post in the bad beats section :p!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO :
      BU (Hero) :
      SB :
      BB :
      MP1 :
      MP2 :
      MP3 :

Preflop: Hero is BU with 2, 2.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) 7, T, 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.34, SB calls $0.34.

Turn: ($1.03) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.98, SB calls $0.98.

River: ($2.99) K (2 players)
      SB checks
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      < Moved your Thread to MSS section >
    • Gerv
      hello MoneyDearest :)

Welcome to PokerStrategy Hand Evaluations board! I am looking forward to see more hands from you to ensure you are developing well as a poker player!

I see that preflop & postflop you played it fine. We raise preflop and we make a bluffbet (the only one we ever make) to take it down.

Since we do not, we have to give up. The reason is that Villain has hit something of this board so what that means is you are behind against that. You only have 2 outs for improvement.

The Turn everyone has a pair, therefore you cannot consider it as your own so we should NOT bet the Turn here, that is where you went wrong here

Best regards,