$11.72
      Hero:
      $6.25
      CO:
      $6.05
      BU:
      $4

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:spade: , 8:club:
      Hero calls $0.04, CO raises to $0.20, 2 folds, BB calls $0.16, Hero raises to $0.80, CO folds, BB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.82) 9:spade: , 3:diamond: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.55, BB calls $1.55.

Turn: ($4.92) J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.92) 2:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero raises $3.9 (All-In), BB folds.

Final Pot: $8.82

Preflop - I believe I made the raise to force the CO to fold so I could outplay the BB in position. Since he had me well covered, I knew I could easily double up, if I played the hand right. I also hadn't been 3 betting much (about 5%) unless I had a premium hand. Merely a bit of "metagame" play I think.

Flop - Contuation bet as if I had a big hand.

Turn - Decided to play cautiously and check behind after his call on the flop since he goes to a showdown half the time and a bet doesn't seem like it would do much other than charge him to draw, which he is calling with most pairs and draws in this spot anyway, and the right river bet from him would force me to fold a hand that I could win with.

River - He checks again. He has checked all three streets with a big call on the flop. I figure he's calling with his overcards and pairs on most flops there, as well as his possible flush draws. His turn check could be a check raise spot if I bet again when he has me beat, and he's probably checkfolding his draws if he's got that. The river check makes me think it's unlikely he's got a strong enough hand to call a big bet with and it's fairly unlikely he's got J's beaten since he would probably bet the turn and river with pairs J's or better, and either has a hand like AKs drawing to nut flush, or a pocket pair smaller than my 8's, since even T's would try to extract some value on the river given my turn check. SO, I figure he's folding to any value bet if he was drawing, and the pot is large enough that shipping it may look a bit bluffish and I can get paid off if he has a pair. So I decided to ship it and hope he calls with a worse pair thinking im on a bluff.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello UTGDog,

Wow, I really say wow. Don't like your play at all!

Big mistake:
      1) Huh? 3bet preflop? I don't get it. Why?
      2) What are you representing with the shove on the river?!? Do you ever make any better hand to fold and wouldn't you Bet any made hand on turn?

Totally overplayed your hand.

Best Regards.
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      What are you representing with the shove on the river?!? Do you ever make any better hand to fold and wouldn't you Bet any made hand on turn?

The river bet was me getting it in when i figured myself to be ahead. I was trying to play my 8's really unnaturally (don't recall the circumstances why anymore but must have made sense at the time as I don't normally 3-bet preflop). Like I said in my post, most hands that beat me like pairs 10's or better are betting into me on the turn and value betting the river when the flush misses. Any flush draws are check/folding the river to any bet, and it's possible that given my passive play post flop, that I could get paid off by sticking it in on the river. He may think im bluffing with a busted flush draw and call me with a worse pair, as it's unlikely he's holding a 9 in his hand given his preflop play. Likely he's got a hand like AK or maybe even a pair of 7's and might think of calling. I simply felt that he's always behind here and my shove is either taking down the pot and I don't have to show it down, or he's calling trying to catch a bluff with a worse hand than me.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Standard Check behind the river. :) You ain't making any better hand to fold nor you ain't getting called from worse.