aclark's learning log!

• aclark
      Hello everybody!

I'm relatively new to poker, having only played fun games with friends. However, I've always played a bunch of computer games and took part in the esports industry and some of the best players of all time have gone on to be professional poker players. I decided I'd give it ago and see what the parallels are (there has to be something in it!)

Whilst making money is always nice, my main aim at the minute is to simply have fun. However, I am taking this seriously and should I get to grips with it I could well attempt to make a career from this.

Wish me the best of luck guys/girls.

HOMEWORK - Lesson 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      As an e-sports reporter my initial motivation for playing Poker was to see what the link is between esports and poker. Several of esports best competitors have gone on to become professional poker players and there has to be a reason for that.

However, this is not my only motivation. To be frank, money is a serious motivator. Finding work in the world's current climate is becoming harder and harder so instead of playing video games, I've decided to invest a lot of time into a game that could well pay the bills.

I'm currently concentrating on having fun, as the initial learning phase can be the hardest I figured I need to concentrate on making it fun and not on making dollars. However, I am taking this seriously and would very much like to compete in WSOP or some other serious Poker tour several years from now (I figure that is a reasonable time-scale?)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I've not yet played an awful lot of Poker, I lost all of my initial $10 in a single day! This was in part because I was just excited and wanted to play and experiment - it wont happen next time, believe me!

Some of the biggest issues I've noticed so far are:
      1. Being impatient and making stupid bets instead of folding and playing longer
      2. Failing to read each person on the table - I will often focus too much on those with the higest chip counts and forget the rest
      3. Playing too early on a morning / too late at night when I'm not concentrating fully.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive play means that you only play hands which are considered possible winners - you refrain from playing every hand you are dealt and make your decisions based upon your position at the table. Because a 67s is not necessarily strong does not mean you cannot play it in another position. The sensible choosing of which hands to play covers the "tight" aspect of this game style.

The aggressive part is almost self explanatory. When you have decided to play a hand, be aggressive, make the most of it! Be the person who bets, be the person who rules the hand and forces other people to feel uneasy about calling your bets - get this right and they will either fold or make a poor decision and lose to you.

However! Be sensible, playing aggressively does mean you through caution to the wind. Whilst some hands are worth the investment pre-flop, they may well be pretty useless after the flop.

So most importantly - you must know when to fold - do not be afraid to fold. Lose 1BB instead of 12BB - it makes perfect sense.
  • 4 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      Welcome to the Beginners Course aclark,

Hope you enjoy the course & learn lots!

Just for fun at the moment eh? Winning more = more Fun, Yes? :D
    • aclark
      Thanks for the welcome! I've gone into more detail about my reasons now, but mainly for fun at the minute. As I've posted in my edit, I have to make it whilst I crunch through all these articles and videos.

Don't ever take things too seriously or you'll sicken yourself off before you make progress! ;)
    • aclark
      Received my second $10 today and played a few hundred hands. Reached $16.13 after a few nasty losses but it's time for bed now.

Onwards and upwards tomorrow.
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Impatience is actually a huge leak for a lot of poker players. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite. The more you practice, the more you will get used to it and even at some point realize that you even ignoring it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.