rap1dw1n3r

• rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      Hello, my real name is Mantas. I'm currently a University student at Lithuania where I live. I study renewable energy. I have been interested in poker since I first heard about it couple of years ago. Used my 50$ bankroll and lost it really fast :D Anyway ever since I've been reading articles and watching videos but I just can't seem to beat those cursed micro stakes. It's been back and forth for me and after all the playing, depositing etc. I consider my self to be a loosing player and I really want to change that. I've seen this course ad and I figured I'll give a shot since I know that I can learn to play as good as a current poker pro plays but I need some help to get me onto the right track :)

P.S. Don't let the gold status deceive you :D I'm not that good yet :D

Ok now for the first homework :) :
      What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Well first of all I think that poker is a lot of fun. As I said in the intro I was amazed by poker ever since I've heard about it. This game requires a lot of mind work and I do like stuff that involves mind work (math not included :D ). Second thing that I like poker for is that I'm the type of person that likes to be ahead of somebody else. Everything that I do I try to be the best at it. Including video games etc. So I want to try to become one of the best at poker to :) . Another reason of course is the money :) I mean who doesn't like money these days :D I have some relatives that live luxury life and I really want to live same. Of course I want my kids and family to live a good life too once I have them :) Another good reason why I like poker is that if you become really good at it it can become work. And in my opinion it's the best work that can be. I mean you can be at home with your family etc. :) You would only need to spend half the time or even less to live the life you want without leaving your family behind.
      What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Well I think that has to my lack of concentration on the table. I'm have a very hard time putting opponents on a range, spotting some tells and taking notes. I usually don't observe people I'm playing with and I think that is hurting my game so much that it stops me from beating those micro stakes and becoming a better, winning player.
      What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      When to say it in short it means playing very few hands and playing them aggressively. You choose very carefully when to enter a pot and what hands to play at which positions. When entering a hand you usually enter it with a raise or a 3bet, on the flop you c-bet most of the time depending on the board structure and the type of opponents you face. It works because aggression pays at poker. Aggression is the most powerful gun in poker arsenal in my opinion since bad players are on one hand scared to loose money so that fold in spots where they shouldn't and on the other hand it helps you hide the strength of your own hand when you are playing for a pot.

Homework for Lesson 2:
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Well first of all I think that SHC is way to tight. Of course it's ideal for a beginning player that doesn't know anything about poker. But ever time players should adapt to play little looser than the char suggests. Of course that all depends on a situation and the opponents but I really think a little looser style works better. And that is the style that I prefer.
      Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Well I think that my preflop play is quite solid. I have posted a hand where I might have overplayed TT waiting for a reply: Did I over play my TT?
      What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      I didn't do any math but putting my brain to work I think that my equity shouldn't be that high. Maby around 10-20% max I think :)

EDIT: This is what Equilab result is: 37.92%. I think that this means that I'm thinking way to tightly :) underestimating some hands and therefore playing little too passive vs tight players. Would like to know some coaches opinions about this.
  • 5 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Welcome to the course rap1dw1n3r!

How does it feel to be back at School? :P

Best of luck & hope you enjoy it!
    • rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      I'd say after university it's fun :D D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

What about tilt? Do you somehow fight against it, for example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

What about tilt? Do you somehow fight against it, for example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
      Hey there Veriz. Sorry I haven't replied in a long time. About the tilt: Yeh i do have some sort of stop technique but it's not like I stop when I lose certain amount of BI. I usually rarely tilt at all. I get tilted when i get several bad beats like fish catching miracle out on the river and I lose etc. but still that has to happen like 5 times in a row. Then I just stop playing and go do something else.

About the concentration. Yeh I'm usually always listen to music when I'm playing. This hurts my concentration so bad I can feel it. So now when i manage to get my BR transfered to stars I will just shut everything off and concentrate fully on the game. I know that my concentration is quite good. One ex is that when I used to play tourneys earlier and before the tourney I would just say to my self "Ok this one I will make it big" meaning that I will finish in a high ranking. And then I just play my A game and finish the tourneys in like top 5%. Once ex of this thing is the time when I've entered the world record at stars. There were 200k players at the tourney and when I was focused i finished the tourney in 820th place which is awesome I think :D

Now for some new stuff :D :
      I have posted my stats in beginner questions forum and Matt told me to post it here so that you could analyze my stats and find the leaks that i have. So here it is:
      If you need any additional stats added to these just ask here I will add them as soon as I see your request :)
      P.S. I'm playing 6-max only. And I will be switching to more agro style once I start playing at stars so please give me tips 6-max based :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, the problem with your stats here is that it's not a huge sample size. :) I would advice you to post them again if you have better sample size like at least 100k.

From here I can just say that you play pretty tight overall and should loosen up your range, especially late position.

Also you are losing too much money from the blinds, most likely calling too much and going to showdown too often and most likely overplaying freeplay pots.