Quitting when winning

• Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      The title pretty much explains it. When I have won about 2 or more buy-ins I tend to quit because I don't want to lose it and I like having positive sessions. This leads to me not playing as much as I can and usually I start a new session only the next day. Lately I have stopped looking at cashier while playing, I only look at it when my session is done(I will try to increase this time period slowlt), but I can still see from my stacks at tables how much I have won. What tips could you give me to keep playing?
  • 10 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      life is one big session. No point in quitting unless you are mentally predisposed to playing your B game. If you intend to get serious in poker , work towards solving this, however there is no rush.
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      I due this too. I'm much more likely to quit if up 2 stacks after 400 hands. Want to protect the winnings and I know I will be annoyed if I win this much, but then go on and lose it.

On the contrary if I'm losing I will always keep playing for longer. Feel like I have to make the money back. Like conall88 said, we should look at it like one big session and not be results orientated. It's much better to quit if you know you're playing bad, and you should probably keep going if you're playing good!
    • noisecore
      noisecore
      Bronze
      I never play more than 1K hands / session

For the simple reason that you will never be able to play your A game if you play longer than an hour consecutively. Your brain just can't do that for more than 40-50 minutes straight. That's why alot and I really mean alot of people start spewing and playing bad somewhere in the middle of their session when playing 3-4hr sessions then realising they are losing their profits thus starting to play better again because of 'pressure' but still not the A game (maybe in short time intervals but no longer)

that's why I prefer 500-1K hands sessions 9 tabling.

Most of the time I play 2 sessions/day one in the morning and one in the afternoon or at night.

This makes me able to make volume and focus on playing good :) .
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noisecore

For the simple reason that you will never be able to play your A game if you play longer than an hour consecutively. Your brain just can't do that for more than 40-50 minutes straight. That's why alot and I really mean alot of people start spewing and playing bad somewhere in the middle of their session when playing 3-4hr sessions then realising they are losing their profits thus starting to play better again because of 'pressure' but still not the A game (maybe in short time intervals but no longer)

Most of the time I play 2 sessions/day one in the morning and one in the afternoon or at night.

nice tip!
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      If being afraid to lose after you are up makes you play worse/differently, then you definately should quit and be totally fine with it. If you feel like playing after that point, you can also play one limit lower after that.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      The way i play is if i double my original buy in on a table i will instantly leave and rebuy to another table with the same original amount thus protecting my winnings.

EG.

Nl2 - Buying for 2 Dollars, Stack Reaches 4 Dollars

Leave

Rebuy at a another NL2 Table for 2 Dollars.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Remember, the most you can lose/ win is your opponents stack
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I quit when i feel like im playing bad If i've played just 3-400 hands and i can feel that im playing horribly i will quit, on the other hand i've played sessions of 3k+ hands because i still felt like i was playing great and i was winning too.

If you have a great table full of fish then that should be enough to help you carry on playing you dont want to quit in those situations.

You could try setting yourself goals of playing x amount of hands before you quit instead of if i win 2 stacks i'll quit.

I cant help you with checking the cashier cos i still do that too :D

At the end of the day you should only play for as long as you feel comfertable and in time you will learn to play longer and not be scared to lose money to suckouts when you're playing well :)

Carl
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze

I think your brain just sucks... Can't get anywhere just playing for 1hour.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Akcus

I think your brain just sucks... Can't get anywhere just playing for 1hour.
      I kind of agree on this too (not that your brain sucks lol) My sessions normally last anywhere between 1.5-3 hrs i only really kinda feel like my brains warmed up and ready for action after half an hour or so