Starting Hang Chart (BSS)

• Kyle8624
      Kyle8624
      Basic
      Ever since I've discovered this site and started playing on pokerstars about a week ago, I've tried my best to follow the BSS starting hand chart as close as possible without asking any questions. I found that my winnings generally were directly proportional to how close I followed the chart.

It seems like a great tool and all, but I want to know where this chart came from, how statistically accurate is it? I hear that great poker players will constantly be changing up their game depending on the situation, but to get to that point, they need a good base to work off of. I want to know how reliable of a base is the starting hand chart is for me, and when should I start to deviate from it?
  • 3 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey Kyle,

Glad you're enjoying yourself here in the wonderful world of Strategy :tongue:

The chart was created by our Educational Team here at PokerStrategy along with all the other ever increasing Education material!

As for its accuracy, our Team are winners in their own right, so its pretty solid!

It is only to be followed as a rough guide whilst you're learning the basics of the game, eventually through your poker you will learn new strategys & moves that allow you to continually change the basic chart into your own unique playing chart.

The chart is very reliable for a Beginner as it teaches you which hands you should be playing, wether you should be Calling, Raising or Folding with them in certain Positions, helping you out play your opponents.

My best advice is to join the BSS Beginners Course, The course works around the BSS Chart in its first lessons and progresses on to how you can adjust the chart into your own playing style!

I've personally passed the course myself and it improved my game dramatically, so if you have any more questions about the Course, be sure to ask!
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      BSS Beginners Course
      you meant this :D
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slipkn6t
      Originally posted by MattDenness