[NL20-NL50] NL20 FR AJo vs BU stl?

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is pretty TAG from the few hands I have on him and his ATS was like 10%.

Pre: Due to the above I didnt want to 3b as I think I only ISO myself against a stronger range since he is not stealing that often and I am not expecting him to call with worse AX too often A9s/AT at a push.

Flop: I felt I could c/c or DB/fold here and c/r would be overplayed or turning it into a bluff and c/f is too weak (I have TPGK)

I opted for DB/fold since he can call with draws and floats (KJ,KQ,22-99, JJ/QQ) and sometimes A9/AJ. So it is for val/protection purposes and clearly if he raises he is almost never bluffing and I am beat.

Turn: I figure he would just check behind for a free card IP w/ draws or weaker pairs so my hand is basically a bluff catcher or I am facing AQ or 2pr+, therefore easy fold right?

What is the best line on the turn here?

Pacific Poker - $0.20 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (SB): $20.00
      BB: $20.00
      UTG: $10.30
      UTG+1: $17.01
      MP: $23.03
      MP+1: $20.00
      CO: $24.08
      BTN: $25.58 (16/12/2.2/2.0/33/69)

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.20

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero has J:heart: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.50, fold

Flop: ($1.40, 2 players) T:club: A:heart: K:club:
      Hero bets $1.05, BTN calls $1.05

Turn: ($3.50, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.95, fold

BTN wins $3.33
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

if player stats are not 7/7 then I would 3-bet AJ that spot for value. He would open all his broadway hands, that AJ is ahead most of the times, also all his pp-s and some suited hands.

If you can´t continue AJ even on that blank turn where are two flushdraws on the board, then I think it is better to fold AJ pf. Any reasonable player would bet turn for value his Axs hands for value and protection and barrel again his draws, since you should c/f there your Kx and definitely Tx hands.

Also I don´t see any reason why he should just call flop with his two pair+ hands, so I would bet turn again for value or if I check then planning to c/c

best regards,
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      I was of the mindset of:

"if I dont think that villain can call a 3b with a worse hand then I shouldn't 3b for value. I can always c/r bluff dry boards and I am ahead of his opening range anyway"

are we saying that we can expect villain to call with worse here?

or that we should be profiting from our hands fold equity and are sometimes 3betting for value?

just like to get my head around it, thanks for the help :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      well basically you can say that on every hand that villain might not call with worse hands, so some players would not 3-bet for that instance AQ or sometimes even AK.
      I think players would play back when it is BU vs SB or BU vs BB, so 3-betting there for value is generally better play than calling AJ/AQ from blinds and only 3-bet AK, JJ+ and mix up bluffs. I would rather not bluff there, but widen my 3-bet value range, so it is very hard them to open now every single time.

Don´t think you win postflop that big pot on Axx, Jxx board against worse hands, than you can win by 3-betting and taking pot downs pf or aggression on postflop and when you finally get aces you may expect him calling you down very light.

best regards,