[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #17 17.01.12

• veriz
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Jan 17th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, January 24th at 6 PM GMT.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $1.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, BU calls $1.00, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($3.35) 6, J, K (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.39, CO calls $2.39, BU folds.

Turn: ($8.13) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, CO calls $4.00.

River: ($16.13) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.50, CO raises to $19.20, Hero ?

Villain is 23/16 14% CC from CO, 3.5AF, 33% fold to cbet, 4.9% 3bet
  • 7 replies
    • Saren113
      I would generally bet bigger all streets. Something like 2.6 on the flop something like 6.2 on the turn and I am betting something like 12$ on the river.
      66 would probably attack the turn, and re raise.
      On the river i think villian is polarized to nuts or a worse two pair.
      So the reason for betting bigger on the river is to look more commited to the pot so he can't push us off our hand.
    • madzmadz25
      Flop: Okay
      Turn: B/F 3/4 to pot size bet. Protect our hand and try to forced villain to fold.
      River: B/F. Villain is standard tag. His calling seems to represent 66 and possibly JJ. Though KK and AA could also be possible, but with his 3bet range, he should have 3bet already preflop unless he is slowplaying. Calling up to the turn then raising on river somehow shows that he really have a strong hand.

If we have a note on this player that he have bluffed before on the river, I would probably call his raise but if not, then probably fold.
    • chocular77
      T: I would bet ~5.5-6

R: Also bet more, after his raise there are not much hands left in his range. He should have 3B his JJ so he either has a 66, KJ, AJ which he can play like this. And since we have only $9,46 left i would call.
    • maheepsangari
      Pre-flop he would have called us with pocket pairs or Broadways with 23 VPIP from CO. He would have 3-Bet with AA,KK,AK.

If he had KJ on the flop he would have re-raised us to protect his hand. He would have done the same with 66 or JJ he seems aggressive enough to do that. His call on the flop means he could have KT, KQ, QT all other Broadways and lower pocket pairs would fold.

On the flop he calls. He could have completed a straight with QT or hit a gut-shot with KT or KQ. We gave him odds of 3:1 so I doubt he would continue to play gut-shots after this point.

Now I feel he could have called QT preflop, hit an OESD, so called on the flop (2.4:1) but he has implied odds, made a straight on the turn and smooth called our raise and let us raise one more time on the river before he fired. His play I feel would make perfect sense if he's holding on to a straight.

So I'd fold here.

As played, I think the bet on the turn was fine. We have top two pair and I don't think we need anymore protection. He's either completed his hand or hasn't. If he has QT we'd expect him to re-raise and we'd expect him to fold other draws as if he'd play them he'd only be pushing his luck. Anyway we beat all two pairs so I don't think we really needed protection on the turn we needed it on the flop and the turn could just have screwed us over. We had to bet the river kinda low as well. Two things could happen here he has a straight or he doesn't. A big raise would make everything else fold here if he has nothing and we'd be donating money of he has a straight. So a half the pot raise I think was fine.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      until river its ok, he might hanve weaker hands and call with them, like KQ, KJ, AJ.

But the river is tough. AA, KK should not be in his range. QT also not.22 also not. So hand that beats us is JJ and 66. Somehow there is no reason proably to raise with two pair on the river, because we are not calling with one pair hands nad we don't have too many two pairs - only AK, AJ, soetimes KJ, so if he also has AK, he gets calls from AJ and KJ - this should not be worth for him. The problem is that we get good odds, but still we can save around 9$ which is 1/3 of the stack. I think its a crying fold but I am not saying I would fold when playing in real :D
    • mawaykid
      pre flop: I think he call with all bws, pps JJ-, and some sc.

flop: he dont fold any equity that he have, and if he hit 66/JJ/KJ he dont have much to protect cause we open from utg at most we have AQ and pp that can improve. so he call with moster, QT, KT,KQ, AJ and maybe all Jx.

turn: he call with the same range, some Jx not, but AJ yes.

river: he raise QT and 66 to extract from our Ax and 2 par, 2par and sigle par do call or fold.

. so imo is fold.
    • veriz

The easiest way to play this hand here is just to Bet it bigger on the turn and make it ready for a river shove. The guy has so many worse 2pairs and even AX combos which most likely are capable of paying you. :)

But as played I'd tend even to Bet/Fold it on the river since I can't really be in profit from the Call anyways there. Not that many hands you beat.

Best Regards.