A Venture into PLO

• Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Hello Everyone,

I discovered Pokerstrategy back in 2008 after my nth attempt at building a BR on Everest Poker failed. I got my first 50$ on Titan poker and quickly built a bankroll with SSS until I reached NL100. After experiencing a massive downsing at NL100 i switched to SnG's where I played for over a year (blogs in Dutch section). I got bored of poker and withdrew everything.

Now I'm back :D

The urge to play poker has been growing over the past months and I really want to get back into it. I've decided to focus fully on PLO since its an interesting complex game with a lot of fish.

I've deposited 650$ at WH for a solid roll for PLO10.

Some rules I intend to follow:

:diamond: BRM of 50 BI
      :diamond: Never play more than 4 tables
      :diamond: 33% of my poker time needs to be dedicated to study.
      :diamond: Do NOT chase bonuses, the focus on $$$ goals leads to a grind mentality which takes focus away from improving your game.
      :diamond: Achieve a winrate of 8 BB/100 over a 25k sample before considering moving up. BRM itself is a necessary but not sufficient condition.
      :diamond: Analyse & Post a minimum of 10 hands a week.
      :diamond: Watch 2 video's a week.
      :diamond: Dont tilt.. :P

See you at the tables :heart:
  • 14 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Since you started a blog at almost the exact time I did, I feel compelled to say good luck!
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      Since you started a blog at almost the exact time I did, I feel compelled to say good luck!
      Thanks ^^
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I've just started playing PLO10 myself at iPoker, will probably see you around the tables :D
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Just received an email from WH:

Subject: RE: Your William Hill account
      Dear Mr. ****,

We notice you have deposited funds into your William Hill account using a bank card under a name different than the name registered in the account. This is against our terms and conditions, as they state the payment method on the William Hill account must belong to the named account holder.

Consequently, we have suspended the bank card on the account and request that you send us copies of the following documents:

1) Front and back (signed) of the bank card ending **** used to deposit into the William Hill account (please ensure the back has the signature of the owner, and that the middle 8 digits on the front of the card and the 3 digit security code on the back are covered/obscured)
      2) A valid photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport) for the named William Hill account holder
      3) A valid photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport) for the owner of the bank card.

Please forward all of the following by fax on 0808 2801485, marking them with your account number or username. Alternatively, you can e-mail these details to documents@willhill.com as attachments in .JPEG format.

If you have any questions, a member of our Customer Support Team is available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at SUPPORT@WILLHILL.COM or via our ‘live chat’ link that appears in the ‘my account’ section when you are logged in, or via one of the following phone numbers:

U.K. 0800 085 6296

International: 00 800 3551 3551

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this matter.
      Risk Management

:rolleyes: UGH, just sent the documents, I hope it won't take them weeks...
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      The word "venture" got me in here. Good luck!
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Quick reply for WH. Everything is in order I can start playing POOOOKEER (with a 1280$ bonus :P )
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      another PLO grinder! :) welcome to our blogs section!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey jehryn, welcome to the blogs section!

I just thought maybe the title might be 'Adventure' rather than 'Venture' given that it is PLO after all! :f_biggrin:

On a more serious note, I hope it goes really well for you.

Best regards,

Mal.
    • GambitCards
      GambitCards
      Bronze
      I'm not liking all these Pokerstrategists playing at my stakes on iPoker! Gunna be killing my winrate, lol, just kidding. Good luck see you on the tables.
      P.S. what's your screen name :)
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Just finished my first session of 1k hands on 4 tables. Some preliminary observations on PLO10:

:spade: 50% of the players are playing NL with two extra cards
      :spade: 30% likes to see every card and will pay whatever to see it
      :spade: 10% are drunk :P
      :spade: 5% are playing a wierd shortstacking strategy
      :spade: 5% has a slight idea what to do

:club: NEVER bluff
      :club: Don't get impatient waiting for good hands
      :club: Play as tight as possible (preflop family pots of 40 bb are common wtf...)

I'll post some hands this evening detailing my own stupid moves :s_grin:
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      From Bronze to Gold in 3 days :s_biggrin:
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      January Update

So January is coming to end and I've been playing a lot of PLO10 between my exams. So far, I've been able to discern a number of things about PLO:

:club: PLO is HARD
      :club: I s***k at PLO
      :club: compared to NL, it is harder to actually study the game without playing. When I started NL I read the books of Harring & The Theory of Poker and several other works. There are dozens of good articles and video's to watch and read so whenever I felt unsure, I could study it. Compared to PLO the basic "textbooks" are a lot smaller and also in the video's the advice is more like "think about the hands deeply", which is good advice off course, but a bit harder to follow.
      :club: Variance :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek:
      :club: Conservative BRM (+60BI) helps alot mentally

In total I've played 3700 hands and I'm down 134$ for a whopping -36.35 BB/100.

In the past I would have started whining about variance and downswings and how unfair the world is to little old me, but i'm actually happy I'm losing money. :s_biggrin: This might seem wierd, but being confronted with some negative variance forces me to evaluate my play and focus on improving. To be honest of the 134$ I most likely lost 90$ by just playing bad and 44$ due to running bad.

But I VERY MUCH prefer this situation compared to starting PLO with a massive upswing which would convince me I Rock at the game and go to higher stakes when I'm not ready.

February Goals

:spade: Play 10k PLO10 Hands
      :spade: Post 40 hands for review
      :spade: Watch 1 video a week
      :spade: Improve :f_p:

oh yeah I also played one 5$ MTT.....

Wait for it......

That kinda helped to put PLO into perspective :s_biggrin:

BR: 870$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Just got back from a week long holiday with the wife in Istanbul. Really awesome city and very different from the western capitals. Visited all the major mosks, Topkapi palace etc.. and got ripped off on several occasions. All in all a pretty good vacation :)

However, as a souvenir my wife got Bronchitis and I got Trachities on our last night in Istanbul so for the last week there has been zero poker and a lot of sleeping & coughing.

I'm almost better so I'm gonna hit the tables tomorrow :s_grin:
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      You might concider joining PLO study group in Skype, that is one way to improve your game. Add me to Skype, same nickname, and I will add you to the group.