BTN shove, 15 BB, sngwiz question

• 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      DiffC means the chips you expect to gain or lose compared with folding. Since you are close to the start of the tournament, it's ok to use chips to evaluate decisions, but there is a slight penalty on gambling chips due to the prize structure. This penalty is smaller when you are pushing than when you are calling all-in, and I think it is correct that if the blinds are calling under 10% that pushing is better than folding.

You should also consider making a small raise instead. When you are under 20 BB, you should make a smaller raise than you would with deeper stacks, and you might raise to 2-2.5 bb. A small raise means you are threatening the blinds with playing postflop out of position in case they call, but if a blind resteals you have not lost much.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      thank you for your answer phzon !

yes, clearly JJ is a r/c in this spot, but my question is regarding wiz's range.

if we were to have 22 or Q2, that would be a shove according to wiz. Now, the diffC is only 27. Do we shove this ? i mean if we are called we are mostly crushed, we have some outs but still... ?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Why do you not want to push after SNG Wizard says that pushing is better than folding? Is it because it looks like a gamble? Folding is a gamble, too. You will not end the tournament with 1500 chips. You will have to gamble at some point. Maybe you will get KK and find a better spot, but maybe you will never find a push as good as this one. You may blind down or get better hands only in worse positions than the button or only after someone else has raised. If the players in the blinds are tight enough, you can push some ugly hands and take the blinds often enough to make up for the times you get called and lose.