Create player: RovarTry, Career mode: SnG, Difficulty level: Mid

• RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Hi all!

It’s decided… I’m doing it… The blog… First, ever.

Inspired by lessthanthreee, thank you, even if you don’t know it yet ;)

:diamond: Introduction: :diamond:

Interest: poker and non stupid things

OK, the main reason for doing it is to track and control myself.
      Oh, yeah and to practice my English so apologies for not making any sense sometimes.

Last time I played poker was 3 years ago, but I never took more serious approach. After 3 years of break, I’m older, more mature and I hope smarter. You see, 3 years ago I lost my entire bankroll in just one night, playing on higher blinds that I was suppose to. It took me 2 months on low limits to build it up from my first attempt at free $50 at pokerstrategy and I blew it in one night. That really beat me down so I quit. Yeah, you guest it, I didn’t follow bankroll management or any other advices.

I was given a second opportunity and this time it’s for real. I cleared $50 free on 770Poker in various games and found out that SnG works for me the best. Till now I read all articles in basic, bronze and silver section (Psychology section is awesome) and watched few videos. I’ve got a lot more learning to do and I look forward to it.

That being said, I’ll be playing SnG’s, FR, starting at micro level $1 BI, with $70BR. I’ll move up from this level after reaching 50 BI for next level and ad 10 BI for each level up reaching final 100 BI rule for higher limits.

I’ll start with one or two tables at the beginning and ad more tables when I feel comfortable enough. I’ll write here my progress and my plans for the future.

And I’ve also got TCOOP $22 ticket at Pokerstars, which I’ll be using it tomorrow for 6-max tourney – I’ll let you know finishing position.

:diamond: Plans: :diamond:

[*] Watch all basic videos
      [*] Complete ICM training
      [*] Register with 888 poker, starting BR $70
      [*] Play first session of 12 tables with 2 table sets on $1BI
      [*] Evaluate and post any questionable hands
      [*] Take part in SnG coach session

:club: Statistics: :club:

Bankroll: $70
      Bonus cleared: $0
      SnG’s played: 0
      Session length: 0h0min
      Overall length: 0h0min
      $/hr: 0

Finish distributions:

1st: 0
      2nd: 0
      3rd: 0
      4th: 0
      Other:
  • 277 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow! nice intrioduction RovarTry , big welcome to our blogs section! :)
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Tnx for the warm welcome IngridN!

It’s 2:20am and I’m exhausted.

Today I watched 3 videos in basic sections which are great if you manage to mix it up with basic strategy charts!

Then I registered at 888 and managed to get additional bonus of instant $10 if I deposit $20 more. Because of that, new starting BR is $100 + $90 pending in bonus. Maybe I boosted BR up a little too much with that, but from what I can see the rakes at $1 are just a killer and the game at $2.50BI isn’t that much different. It’s more about your BR withstanding negative swings…

The rule still applies thou: to move up a level I have to reach $125 (50BI).

First impression of the room is that it’s a little bit darker and at 23h there isn’t so much action going on micro levels. I was surprised that you can seat at normal speed faster than at the turbo table.

I managed to sit at the table and played it. I busted out as 8th, but I was feeling pretty confident thou and made few mistakes that I’m aware off. I really wanted to post one hand, but I forgot to check the box for storing hand history on my hard drive under settings. I’ve got video but don’t know if it’s possible to somehow convert it to here. I also have to check if Hand Converter supports 888 room. Then I played another table and finished 1st. Don’t want to brag but, that was easy – no hard decisions. I’ also forgot to track time of playing those two tables, so another note till next time.

Talking about notes; check if Holdem manager program is compatible with 888.

Tomorrow I'm finishing ICM training Light, playing 12 tables and participate in TCOOP event at pokerstars. If I bust out fast I'll join coach session with chenny8888.

[ ] Watch all basic videos
      [*] Complete ICM training
      [*] Register with 888 poker, starting BR $70
      [*] Play first session of 12 tables with 2 table sets on $1BI
      [ ] Evaluate and post any questionable hands
      [ ] Take part in SnG coach session

Statistics:

Starting bankroll: $100
      Session profit/lost: $2.10
      New bankroll: $102.10
      SnG’s played: 2
      Session length: 2h0min
      Overall length: 2h0min
      $/hr: 1.05

[I]Finish distributions:[/i]

1st: 1
      2nd: 0
      3rd: 0
      4th: 0
      Other: 1
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      TCOOP Event: 14102nd out of 44787

A lot of players so I kind of lost interest before first break (weren’t getting any good cards), after that it was good ICM practice.

Finished ICM Trainer, good stuff so I decided to run through it every time before sessions until I get 100%.

I also checked about Holdem manager and jeej, it’s for 888 also. I just couldn’t find it at first, because it says for “Pacific poker”. I decided to use free trial when I reach next level and that I won’t be tracking my sessions and overall time until then. It’s just one thing to much to worry about at the moment. Instead of that I’ll track rake.

Sorry chenny8888 or should I say my BR, cause I didn’t have time for your coaching session. I hope I catch next one with Unam on Pokerstars.

Played 15 tables during the day. Result is so-so. I’m too tired to post some hands, so I’ll do it tomorrow after I analyze them.

[ ] Repeat ICM training

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $2.70
      New bankroll: $99.40
      SnG’s played: 17
      Rake taken: $3.40

1st: 2
      2nd: 2
      3rd: 3
      4th: 4
      Other: 6
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Hey mate, I've been playing SNG and MTT on 888 since the start of this year, having previously built up a BR of about $320 on very micro stakes on Bodog.

Since the start of 2012, I'm up $60 in the last four days playing 6-max SNG turbos. But I'm up $700 on MTT, they are a ridiculously soft standard on 888. There is a 99c rebuy tournament. It's a good way to build up your roll.

So, I'd recommend giving them a little look. Also, very best of luck! :f_cool:
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      ur blog name is so funny :D gd luck
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      @Zareos

Tnx for the tip! I looked at it and it looks promising. I hate re-buys cause if you’re not careful you are buying more than you should. I play them with only one buy in and no re-buy. I actually wanted to try it today but then I asked myself if I have 3h without disturbance? No, I don't, so I’ll try it when I do. Glad to hear you are doing well! How long did it take you to build it to $320 on micros?

I hope to see you at tables some day!

@aceonetheriver

:D The second I came up with it, I wrote it down :] GL to you too, bro!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, great day today.

I started with repeating ICM trainer and then hit the tables. Result is 20 tables for nice profit, but what I'm more satisfied about is that now I'm comfortable enough to play 4 tables at the same time without looking at charts. I need bigger screen for more!

I've got interesting hand to show, plain example of what I would not do if I wouldn't complete ICM training.

Cassava Poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t75/t150 Blinds - 4 players - View hand 1601878
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): t3190 21.27 BBs
      BB: t1775 11.83 BBs
      CO: t1037 6.91 BBs
      BTN: t7498 49.99 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is SB with 2 :heart: 7 :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to t3190, BB calls t1625 all in

Flop: (t3550) 8 :diamond: 6 :club: 7 :diamond: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: (t3550) 3 :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t3550) 6 :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t3550
      Hero shows 2 :heart: 7 :spade:
      BB shows K :spade: Q :heart:
      Hero wins t2135
      (Rake: t1415)

and another one: (in this one I'm not sure if call was justified, any opinion is appreciated)

Cassava Poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t75/t150 Blinds - 5 players - View hand 1601876

Hero (CO): t2355 15.70 BBs
      BTN: t2788 18.59 BBs
      SB: t1981 13.21 BBs
      BB: t2121 14.14 BBs
      UTG: t4255 28.37 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is CO with J :spade: J :diamond:
      1 fold, Hero raises to t450, 1 fold, SB raises to t1981, 1 fold, Hero calls t1531

Flop: (t4112) 8 :heart: 2 :club: 8 :spade: (2 players)

Turn: (t4112) 3 :diamond: (2 players)

River: (t4112) 6 :heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: t4112
      Hero shows J :spade: J :diamond:
      SB shows 8 :diamond: 8 :club:
      SB wins t4112

Oh yeah, another funny thing... I was playing three tables when I saw that 4th has opened and I quickly pressed register button. I've must have missed something, because I found myself playing $2.50BI, 18 players SnG table. I was pissed as hell at myself, did my best, played very good, but in the end I finished 6th. As a result I set my SnG under favorite to avoid future mistakes.

And cause we all love graphs especially if they show profit...

[*] Repeat ICM training

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $12.90
      New bankroll: $112.30
      SnG’s played: 37
      Rake taken: $7.20

1st: 7
      2nd: 4
      3rd: 9
      4th: 5
      Other: 12
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RovarTry
      @Zareos

Tnx for the tip! I looked at it and it looks promising. I hate re-buys cause if you’re not careful you are buying more than you should. I play them with only one buy in and no re-buy. I actually wanted to try it today but then I asked myself if I have 3h without disturbance? No, I don't, so I’ll try it when I do. Glad to hear you are doing well! How long did it take you to build it to $320 on micros?

I hope to see you at tables some day!
      I started playing with $8 on August 1st. By December 31st I had raised it to $320... by Jan 12th I had raised it to $1K. Lost $20 today though, AA busted 3 times... haven't tilted yet though!

I like the 99c rebuy, my tactic (not sure if it's any good at all) is to immediately rebuy twice so I essentially have 3 stacks to start with. This way I can bide my time a little more than the rest, and in push-fold phase the patience is key to taking down big sums!
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      I should thank you Zareos.

When you pointed me to 0.99 I also noticed that there is upcoming free $500 depositors freeroll tonight, so I registered. By the time it started I totally forgot about it. I started writing blog after finishing my sessions when table pops up. I thought, ah is just freeroll I'm not in the mood, I'll just play when the window pops up accordingly to basic strategy and ICM. Well, few minutes ago I finished 26th out of 392, winning $3.50 :f_cool: while reading some blogs and watching TV.

It's always inspirational to read about someone's success and your's is definitely among them. I'm glad that you keep your cool, when you are running bad, something I'm mentally preparing for. I wish you the very best.

I'm also going to use your advice about 99c when I reach higher limits. I feel that playing with this now is to much for my BR, cause I'm also fighting against high rakes.

Adding $3.50 to BR
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      I had that strange feeling when I sat at the tables today. I was feeling somehow guilty that yesterday was such a good day and I was kinda expecting downswing. Feeling got worst after loosing first dealt hand QQ against AKo in the start of the session.

I played 7 tables today and I lost most of the coin flop situations, barely managed to finish 3rd for 2 times.

I'm done for today. Tomorrow I'll watch more videos and read some articles. I hope I'll have time for coaching sessions at night.

Update:

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $4.80
      New bankroll: $111.00
      SnG’s played: 44
      Rake taken: $8.40

1st: 7
      2nd: 4
      3rd: 11
      4th: 6
      Other: 16
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RovarTry
      I played 7 tables today and I lost most of the coin flop situations, barely managed to finish 3rd for 2 times.
      As long as you get your money in when you're ahead... that's the main thing as although variance is a muthafucker, you will come out on top in the long run. That's what I've been telling myself today... played 5 $10 6-max turbo tables... and each time I've went out when the other person has had three outs or less. Naturally, they've hit each time. :f_confused:

But if you put it all in when ahead, in the long run you will be a winning player. So, keep the faith!

Edit: Make that SIX TIMES... :f_frown:

Further Edit: AA < K8o in the second hand of a SNG...
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Sorry, for not responding sooner Zareos, but I was busy with watching videos, learning and playing. I feel your pain thou. As long as you know you're playing A-game you're fine. Like you said, variance is motherfucker :(

It's different for me cause I'm at the beginning of my "career" and I'm making a lot of mistakes, but I'm staying positive because I'm aware of them and trying to improve them. Sometimes it seems to me, that I'm taking too much info at once and then find myself thinking of some fancy moves and forgetting the basics. Sometimes I make a move and then instantly realize that it was wrong. Well, I guess it's just part of learning.

Example: (I think 3rd hand on the table)

On the button I 4-BB raised with JTs and BB goes all-in for 75BB... What I did? Flat called him. I remember thinking "Will you stop shoving, moron!".
      It's quite obvious who was bigger moron here.

Let's see... yesterday I watched 4 basic videos (only few to go), posted a hand to evaluation forum (I’ll do that more) and participated in coaching with Unam. It was great experience but I was getting much lag and audio was out of sinc (maybe my small s10-2 Lenovo net book is to weak for that). I will certainly join more coaching sessions when I'll have time (this time on PC).
      After that I hit the tables and played them till I was too exhausted to write here. I went to bed at 2:30am and I woke up today at 10am. I went straight to computer and hit ICM trainer for 100 hands. After that, back to tables. I wasn’t playing so good, I felt impatience most of the time cause I wanted to be in the late stage of SnG (maybe because of the ICM effect?) and it takes forever to get there.
      Writing this now and looking at my stats I just realized that here lies the problem. I haven’t made it to the bubble in 33 games out of 74. WTF? At this level you’ll almost certain to get to the bubble even if you are in the sit out mode. Hmm, I know that to solve this problem I should open more tables (but I don’t feel comfortable with that just yet) or learn patience and tighten up!

Now, there are few things that are bugging me about 888 room:

1. I don't know/can't adjust buttons to 2.2BB, 2.5BB and that's really pain in the butt, cause I have to do that manually.

2. Poor traffic in SnG games and almost no traffic in turbo SnG, so I have to wait long time to get action and forget about set sessions. The result is that I’m playing to many hours without rest and then I get tired.

3. Sometimes "automatic bank time mode" doesn't work

Other thoughts:

1. I know I'm not playing my A-game yet, but if I play just one table or two, I find myself bored and then I start to play hands I shouldn't. If I play them more, then I feel like I'm missing something, like reads, notes, steals...

2. I feel some kind of a pressure that I should play more tables if I want to see profit and to overcome downswings faster, but it just isn’t possible in this room.

3. Should I change the room? Maybe wait to clear the bonus?

4. There is a lot to learn and when I learn something I find out that there is even more to learn :)

Let's go to the rest of the videos tonight and hit the tables strong tomorrow!

:diamond:P lans: :diamond:

[ ] Play at least 1000 hands with ICM training
      [ ] Continue to evaluate and post any questionable hands and take part in SnG coach sessions

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $3.60
      New bankroll: $107.40
      SnG’s played: 74
      Rake taken: $14.40

1st: 11
      2nd: 6
      3rd: 16
      4th: 8
      Other: 33
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Great day today!

After watching videos yesterday and clearing up my strategy for early and middle phase I hit tables pretty hard. I also collected a few hands which needs to be analyzed and evaluated. I'll send them tomorrow cause I'm going straight to bed.

Here is the last hand of the session:

Cassava Poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds - 3 players - View hand 1608018

Hero (BTN): t8997 29.99 BBs
      SB: t2095 6.98 BBs
      BB: t2408 8.03 BBs

Pre Flop: (t450) Hero is BTN with K :diamond: T :diamond:
      Hero raises to t8997, SB calls t1945 all in, BB calls t2108 all in

Flop: (t6911) A :club: 8 :club: Q :diamond: (3 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t6911) 4 :club: (3 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t6911) J :diamond: (3 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t6911
      Hero shows K :diamond: T :diamond:
      SB shows A :spade: 6 :heart:
      BB shows K :club: K :spade:
      Hero wins t6285
      Hero wins t626

:diamond:P lans: :diamond:

[ ] Play at least 1000 hands with ICM training
      [ ] Continue to evaluate and post any questionable hands and take part in SnG coach sessions

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $14.7
      New bankroll: $122.10
      SnG’s played: 104
      Rake taken: $20.40

1st: 18
      2nd: 11
      3rd: 17
      4th: 12
      Other: 45
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      I've just finished my early session with positive outcome and reached next level with little extra to spare. :s_cool:

Now I have some hands to study, then my bro is coming over, so he can suffer the defeat I'm gonna give him in FIFA12 on XBOX :f_cool: and that's about it for today.

Tomorrow I'm going to watch some videos during the day and then hit the tables at dusk. Can't wait to try $2.50!

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $6.70
      New bankroll: $127.80
      SnG’s played: 115
      Rake taken: $22.60

1st: 20
      2nd: 14
      3rd: 18
      4th: 13
      Other: 49
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Finally next level!

So I watched 4 basic videos and there are only Heads-Up left, which I'll watch next week. I'm still hitting 100 hands on ICM before I go to the tables. I started playing an 1h ago on $2.90 BI and played only two tables so far, cause I'm dead tired. So far game seems the same in early and middle stages (a lot of pushes and loose calls) so I just tightened up a little bit and I was quickly in the bubble. On the first table I busted out by my own stupidity! Feeling that my game was good (beside that last call) I played another one and finished first. All in all, level is same, just late phase and push phase are a little bit different. I'm saying that just by judging those two tables and that may not be whole picture of this level. I'll try them more tomorrow and see how it goes.

Here is graph of played games so far, which I'm going to posted only once per month or if I reach new level. (I know that there is too little data for anything, but it's my blog so ... ) :evil:

* difference in tourney played are freerolls

Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $5.45
      New bankroll: $133.25
      SnG’s played: 117
      Rake taken: $23.40

1st: 21
      2nd: 14
      3rd: 18
      4th: 14
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Another success!

I played 3 tables after I woke up and finished 1st, 2d and 3rd :s_biggrin: Then I saw 99c tourney is about to start and thinking of you Zareos, I registered. I immediately bought 3 re-buys and started playing. During the break I bought additional 3 add-ons and made it to the final table finishing 8 out of 694, winning $92.45. :s_cool:

I'm done playing for today but I'll watch rest of the videos.

SnG Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $13.80
      New bankroll: $233.56
      SnG’s played: 119
      Rake taken: $24.60

1st: 22
      2nd: 15
      3rd: 19
      Other: 48

MTT Statistics:

Played:: 9
      BI: $5.94
      Winnings: $92.45
      Profit: $86.51
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by RovarTry
      Another success!

I played 3 tables after I woke up and finished 1st, 2d and 3rd :s_biggrin: Then I saw 99c tourney is about to start and thinking of you Zareos, I registered. I immediately bought 3 re-buys and started playing. During the break I bought additional 3 add-ons and made it to the final table finishing 8 out of 694, winning $92.45. :s_cool:

I'm done playing for today but I'll watch rest of the videos.

SnG Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $5.45
      New bankroll: $233.56
      SnG’s played: 120
      Rake taken: $24.60

3rd: 19

MTT Statistics:

Played:: 8
      Profit: $86.51[/quote]Fuck yeah! Nice one mate, MTT give you a great feeling when you do well in them. Moreso than cash games or SNGs in my opinion. Congrats! Keep shipping the 99c, they are a good way to build a roll! :f_love:
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      @ Zareos

Yeah, man! the feeling when you reach the final table... Superb! All though I don't like that they last so long, you really have to be prepare for that (I was nervous the whole time, if I'll make it to work in time or not), when in SnG you can do just one session and go away. Whenever I'll be in the mood I'll give them a try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh, now I know how does the loosing session feels!

I played 15 tables and I'm down for 12 BI. :(
      Despised that I feel somehow good, cause I played really well and made right decisions.

You wouldn't believe what hand I lost. AA over QQ, KK over AJo, QQ over KJo, TT over 88, Two pairs on flop against runner, runner trips... and still I'm not tilting. I just remembered that this is inevitable and that I have to stay calm. I'm done for today, cause I've reached my stop loss limit. Tomorrow is another day and I hope that this isn't going to continue.

Good thing that I got some extra from MTT otherwise I would have to go down one limit.

SnG Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $30
      New bankroll: $203.56
      SnG’s played: 134
      Rake taken: $30.60

3rd: 22
      4th: 15
      Other: 59

MTT Statistics:

Played:: 10
      Profit: $86.51
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      I'm back, baby!

I knew my game isn't bad. Today I made a nice comeback, covering all yesterdays losses and managed to make me some $$$. I played 20 tables. 5 sessions with 4 tables. I'm also pleased with my HU finishing 7:1 and that I never busted out on the bubble.

I also played free tourney between sessions and finished 18th out of 2500 :s_biggrin: for additional $3 :f_biggrin: I didn't put any real thoughts into it, it was more of ICM practice. I guess ICM does make wonders! :f_love:

sharkscope says "Super Hot"

I'm tired as hell so bed it is. Tomorrow is another winning day!

SnG Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $41
      New bankroll: $247.56
      SnG’s played: 154
      Rake taken: $38.60

1st: 29
      2nd: 16
      3rd: 25
      4th: 15
      Other: 68

MTT Statistics:

Played:: 11
      Winnings: $95.45
      Profit: $89.51
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Well... today was not the best day for poker. I almost felt like I don't care what's going on on the tables. Twice i even didn't notice that i was in the bubble already. :f_mad: I managed to survive somehow in + thou.
      Also played 99c tourney but busted out soon against flush with trips.

New month is approaching, so I'm making plans and I can't wait to see where i'll be in the end of February.

SnG Statistics:

Session profit/lost: $2.11
      New bankroll: $249.67
      SnG’s played: 170
      Rake taken: $45

1st: 30
      2nd: 19
      3rd: 29
      4th: 17