Request for aditional photo for ID check - don't you see it abusive?

    • Robis581
      Robis581
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.04.2011 Posts: 4
      After I have sent scans of my ID document ( drivers licence ) and the document that verifies my adress I received e-mail with additional request of sending a photo vere I hold the ID document close to my face. For me that request seems at least strange.
      First I am not sure I have equipment for making such photo.
      Secondly and most important I dont want to make such a stupid photo and even more send it over internet. I feel such demand somewat abusive, as if I am suspect of some crime or taken to custody.
      That is how I see that demand.
      I would like to hear from others do they treat such request similar way or may be it seems very normal.
      Thank You in advance for your opinion.
  • 13 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.12.2010 Posts: 3,761
      Hey there Robis581,

      I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the ID Check procedure.

      Do you not own a Mobile+Cam, Digital Camera Or maybe a Webcam? Or borrow a Camera from a friend?
      As for the request being "Strange" it for our own Security as users have attempted to fraud the system and signing up multiple times trying to claim the Free $50 Capital.

      The picture you upload will not be distributed by us to anywhere or anyone so you have no worry of sending it to us over the Internet. You're details are perfectly safe with our ID Team & I hope you understand!

      Good luck with it all & if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
    • Robis581
      Robis581
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.04.2011 Posts: 4
      As I mentioned the main problem is not technical. Ofcourse I can somehow make the photo. The main is the psychological aspect of the request itself I described abowe.
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2009 Posts: 228
      http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/pokerstrategy.com

      this is a quality company run by quality people.....send them whatever they need.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.01.2010 Posts: 3,373
      Hey Robis581,

      You can of course choose not to send in the photo but then you will fail the ID check, it is a pretty standard request to check that it is actually your ID that you are using. I have been asked for this photo a number of times from poker rooms and other sites myself.

      What kind of psychological affect would this procedure have? Sure it might feel a bit silly when you're taking the photo but i don't think its the kind of thing that will give you long term commitment issues right? :P

      Trust me, you have nothing to worry about, just one person will see the photo then after its been used it will be deleted from the system.

      If you still have any issues with this please let me know and i'l try and assist you as much as i can :)

      Regards

      Carl
    • angeleskarl0098
      angeleskarl0098
      Basic
      Joined: 14.01.2012 Posts: 116
      Originally posted by Robis581
      As I mentioned the main problem is not technical. Ofcourse I can somehow make the photo. The main is the psychological aspect of the request itself I described abowe.
      Yes, I agree with you, I was able to do that so and submit all my confidential requirements. They are very strict in terms of security check, I can't do anything just to follow them. So this is it, nothing happens. but it's ok. :s_love:
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.12.2010 Posts: 1,343
      Originally posted by Robis581
      After I have sent scans of my ID document ( drivers licence ) and the document that verifies my adress I received e-mail with additional request of sending a photo vere I hold the ID document close to my face. For me that request seems at least strange.
      First I am not sure I have equipment for making such photo.
      Secondly and most important I dont want to make such a stupid photo and even more send it over internet. I feel such demand somewat abusive, as if I am suspect of some crime or taken to custody.
      That is how I see that demand.
      I would like to hear from others do they treat such request similar way or may be it seems very normal.
      Thank You in advance for your opinion.
      Hi Robis, I appreciate your apprehension with regards to providing us with a 3rd ID picture. Firstly, it is important to note that the ID check is only necessary for members who want to get the free $50 bankroll. If you would like to receive a first deposit bonus at one of our affiliated poker rooms, no ID check is necessary. To access our guide to first deposit poker bonuses please click here.

      The ID check is performed at random and is a necessary step to prevent large scale fraud which, unfortunately, has been attempted in the past. I understand that a lot of our members are hesitant to share private documents. However, our privacy policy is clear: all private data remains private. We only use this information for the purpose of verifying a person's identification via our ID check procedure.

      I hope this goes some way to easing your apprehension and you'll comply with our ID check request. Who knows you may even end up a Diamond member........... ;)
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.12.2010 Posts: 1,343
      Originally posted by LONGPLAY66
      http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/pokerstrategy.com

      this is a quality company run by quality people.....send them whatever they need.
      Hey LONGPLAY66, thanks for jumping in here, we may have to pinch your quote for the website! ;)
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2009 Posts: 228
      :]
    • Robis581
      Robis581
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.04.2011 Posts: 4
      Thanks for your replies!

      I appreciate your attempts of convincing me to ignore some silliness of that request and go on finishing my ID check. Thank you for your good will.

      Probably the privacy borders for different people are different and it's OK. You may think that I am making a great problem of nothing. But let's think where exactly these borders stand for each of us. Imagine that your ID documents hold much more information - your fingerprints, DNA code, iris scan, family status and photos etc. (some of mentioned is already true or will be in near future). Now let's think what from mentioned above you would agree to share over internet. And please note a great difference - not willingly but upon request. May be your wife's or child's photos or DNA sample. Some may think - why not. Really think about it why not.

      As for me my documents (including photos on them) are for proving and sharing when necessary but taking photo by myself of myself and sharing it is possible only willingly and never upon request. That is the main psychological difference I wanted to point out about our privacy borders: doing something by your own will or upon someone's request.

      In given request I see not only intrusion in my privacy but asking to hold my ID document close to my face I consider abusive by putting me in a position of somewhat like a criminal suspect.

      Technical note about ID check. If a person has access to someone's ID document he or she most probably have access also to that person to make a photo with or without ID document or at least to that person's photo. The rest is simple. I doubt that PokerStrategy is employing high level forensic experts to distinguish fake from true. There are other more reliable and civilized methods to perform ID check.

      Please don't misunderstand me. All above said is not my struggle for free 50 USD bankroll. Actually I don't need it. My intent of rising that question was to ask you look at our position in the market from different perspective. Don't forget that finally despite free bankrolls and other bonuses you are the source of income in the market. May be you deserve some respect.

      Thank you for your time taken reading this post. May be for someone it would be with some positive value.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.01.2010 Posts: 3,373
      Hey Robis581,

      Thanks for sharing your concerns with us however, Id cards don't contain any of this info that you are worried about sharing and all Id checks are handled with top professionalism and in accordance with privacy and protection laws so its as safe as can be.

      What we ask for is not an unreasonable request and is standard accross the industry you could be confronted with this situation many a time in your poker career so it might sound harsh but im afraid its just something you will have to learn to live with if you want to play online poker :(

      If and when id cards do contain such information im sure the security checks would be changed to protect the consumers as much as possible. PokerStrategy.com is very much all about you guys and keeping you as happy and as safe as possible.

      If you want to discuss this further then please feel free to reply here or add me in the community tool :)

      All the best

      Carl
    • Robis581
      Robis581
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.04.2011 Posts: 4
      Hello ExternalUseOnly,

      I understand that you stand for your business or at least you have yourself associated with it ''What we ask for is .....".

      But please don't mislead others. Such request is not standard across the industry. I am not so new to online poker as you think. I have active accounts in several poker rooms but I have never faced similar request. Of course ID check one or other way has to be done but usually it is done in more civilized manner as I mentioned in my previous post.

      I will stress ''usually'' because there was only one exception in my experience and it happened with the poker site you (you associated yourself with PokerStrategy not I) are promoting - Poker 770. This accident would probably require further investigation. To warn others: this site is requesting copy of your ID and both sides of your credit card - that means all your identity data plus security code of your card!!! Please understand it right - not during secure transaction but afterwards as an e-mail attachment! Be aware it also is not standard across the industry.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.01.2010 Posts: 3,373
      I think many people will tell you that actually it is pretty standard, i myself have been asked on 3 occasions from poker rooms for ID checks, 2 of which i was asked to hold the ID next to my face.

      I know a lot of people who play poker and only very few of them haven't been asked for the same or something very similar,

      On the other hand i have never been asked to send a copy of a bank card with numbers etc and i wouldn't provide it if asked probably. That is something you would have to take up with 770 personally.

      The bottom line is if you don't trust a site don't send them your infos and keep your moneyz there, if you do trust a site to keep however many hundreds or even thousands of $$ there then surely you can trust them with a picture of your form of ID

      As for the test being civilized im sorry but i really can't help you there the security team devise the tests, im sure they would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on how to improve the test by dropping them a support ticket or posting in the feedback forum.

      Also as a final note whilst i do try and help promote PokerStrategy.com and its partner rooms i do this voluntarily and when i give advice/help i try to do it more as a fellow poker player than as a representative of PokerStrategy.com my replies will always be truthful and biased towards helping members rather than promoting the website

      Regards

      Carl
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Joined: 27.09.2009 Posts: 21,979
      Originally posted by Robis581
      Hello ExternalUseOnly,

      I understand that you stand for your business or at least you have yourself associated with it ''What we ask for is .....".

      But please don't mislead others. Such request is not standard across the industry. I am not so new to online poker as you think. I have active accounts in several poker rooms but I have never faced similar request. Of course ID check one or other way has to be done but usually it is done in more civilized manner as I mentioned in my previous post.

      I will stress ''usually'' because there was only one exception in my experience and it happened with the poker site you (you associated yourself with PokerStrategy not I) are promoting - Poker 770. This accident would probably require further investigation. To warn others: this site is requesting copy of your ID and both sides of your credit card - that means all your identity data plus security code of your card!!! Please understand it right - not during secure transaction but afterwards as an e-mail attachment! Be aware it also is not standard across the industry.
      Hi Robis581,

      I don't see how Carl is "misleading others here". In fact, his advice and words in his above post are 100% spot on.

      Speaking personally here as a holder of many Poker accounts, I have faced many different ID checks. Ranging from a copy of my drivers license, passport to me holding up these documents beside my face. I have had to send a scan of my VISA card. Both back and front. Once this was requested, I asked them if there is certain information I could black out. This was allowed. On other occasions, I have been asked for Bank statements and utility bills. Once again, I asked what they specifically needed from these documents and what I could black out.

      If you feel uncomfortable about these measures then I really don't know what to say. They are part of the industry, they are done with your own security in mind.

      All the best,
      Gary