What site should I start at?

• MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm going to give PLO a shot, some background info on me...

I used to play STTs on Full Tilt, was an Iron Man for a while and primarily played $12 turbo and $11 regular SNGs, I built up a BR from $11 to over $2000.

My strong points are...

• Seem to be relentlessly motivated to start winning some money at PLO.
      • I feel I have better than average tilt control, I hardly even tilted money off playing STTs.
      • I have excellent BR/money management skills, have never played under-rolled ever coz I'm a complete nit (apart from when I had $11, I was playing $1 90 mans).
      • I love studying poker.
      • I love maths.

What I've done so far...

• Studied Hwang's first book Google it! - have read it a few times and have taken notes.
      • Joined DeucesCracked and watched a few Omaha vids.
      • Played less than I should have, have only played on PokerStars.

What I want to ask is...

• What's the best site to play at to get either good rakeback or work off a bonus for a micro-limit player?
      • Should I deposit $250 and play PLO5 or $500 and play PLO10? Please bear in mind that I'm a complete beginner with very little practical experience, but knows a lot of basic theory that should get me by. I'll also continue studying as much as possible while playing. Also I would drop down to PLO5/PLO2 if I became under-rolled.
  • 3 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Play PLO2 to start with on Stars. The games are super deep (I think you can start with 250 bets, possibly 500). So you will learn a lot about playing deep stacked and also understand quite quickly the importance of position without it costing you as much as if you were to play higher.

You will lose when you start playing because it's a tough game to adapt to initially, so minimise your losses by playing the lowest stakes and you will still get the learning experience you need from the game.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      But please remember that PLO2 is whole different environment than PLO10. And PLO10 is whole different than PLO50.

But yeah, forget the money, and learn the game. In PLO2 it is cheapest. Players are anything from super bad to just bad, but you will learn all the important stuff like counting outs, hands relative value, position, how the stack sizes affect the play etc. And it really tests your tilt control.

And if you can't win in PLO2, you can't win any higher.
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, makes so much sense! So I've just decided to play PLO2 at Stars and concentrate on learning to play rather than giving a shit about a few extra cents payed in rake.

I'll invest some more money and work off some bonuses when I feel confident in my game, after say 10,000 hands or so at PLO2/PLO5.

At this point I think that the money lost or paid in extra rake is inconsequential, especially if I'm going to be playing higher stakes when I register at other sites for the bonus and can work off more of the bonus in the 30/60 days or whatever they give you.