[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH, KQs blind defense, too passive?

• Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $1.77
      MP3:
      $5.41
      CO:
      $11.16
      BU:
      $6.30
      SB (Hero):
      $5.51
      BB:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, K.
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.15, BU folds, Hero calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) 2, K, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, CO raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.75) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($1.75) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.35, Hero calls $1.35.

Final Pot: $4.45.

Villain's stats:

I think KQs is strong enough to defend SB vs CO. His fold to 3bet is 63%, so I like flatting better. If it was 30%, then I would 3bet (would also have to consider his 4bet then).
      I think, I could have misplayed my hand on the flop. I like my lead/donk bet, because that's how I approach my play OOP overall.
      I look at it as a cbet from OOP, as if I would be the opener from UTG vs. LP player.
      What I'm not sure about is his raise on the flop. From stats I can see that his F cbet is very high and his T cbet is very low. That probably means, that he is so used to F c-betting, that his F raises mostly coud be bluffs.

I would get it in on the F now, btw.

Q1: How would you play the hand?
      Q2: Looking at his stats. WTSD = 31%. His fold to F cbet is low, but fold to T cbet is high (smal sample). Also his bet vs. missed cbet is unknown. But, when talking about player type. Do you think this guy could be the one who floats a lot?

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Anger86,

Before asking that, ask yourself why do you donk the flop?

Q2: Looking at his stats. WTSD = 31%. His fold to F cbet is low, but fold to T cbet is high (smal sample). Also his bet vs. missed cbet is unknown. But, when talking about player type. Do you think this guy could be the one who floats a lot?

Why we talking about floats here? You ain't the PFA, you ain't CBetting, he ain't calling you. :P

Therefore as played and you played it passively I would even consider folding the river since I can't really see many hands what we beat. There ain't even bluffs in his range most likely and not that many worse Kx hands. Obviously his Check behind on the turn doesn't make sense but at the same time we don't beat much either on the river than just bluffs and maybe few combos of Kx hands but even those would most likely bet smaller.

Best Regards.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Anger86,

Before asking that, ask yourself why do you donk the flop?
      1. Ok. I donk the flop, because I have no idea how to play from the BB correctly.
      Good option would be check/raising and getting it in, since opponent is c-betting often enough.

2. When I chose donking earlier, I should bet/3bet and get it in with TP+flushdraw.

Strategy

I wanted to ask about BB's strategy, when defending against BU steals.
      For example, BU opens 35% 1st in.
      What is a good tight defending range and plan post-flop? I mean, could you give me some starting tips/pointers?

I'm not a fan of playing OOP, but my BB/100 in BB is terrible, it is -40 BB's.
      At the moment, I'm thinking about :
      1. 3-betting with QQ+, AK (+ add AQ-AJ, KQ, TT-JJ against players who call 3bets a lot)
      Not bluffing OOP.
      2. Calling with AQ-AT, KQs, KJs, KTs, QJs, QTs, JTs, JJ-77 (folding 22-66).

Post-flop: I'm usually donk-betting on the flop. I was using ch/raising strategy earlier,
      when I played at FullTilt, but I still sucked at BB play (bad BB/100).
      I guess, Post-flop - it's like UTG vs BU.
      Almost only thing that changes is Villain had initiative pre-flop (Until I donk-bet).
      If I play this way, then it shouldn't be much different, than playing from UTG vs BU (since I'm OOP Post-flop, with a strong range).

PS. I can't read articles above "Bronze level", since my FT acount is down.
      Is it OK to ask more about strategy, ranges, opponent types here? Or is it only hand posting?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      What is a good tight defending range and plan post-flop? I mean, could you give me some starting tips/pointers?

As you actually answered your question already after this question. I am not really a huge fan of writing the whole article into here. :) It depends as usually everything in poker.

But about the play yep, we should rather let the opponent CB his whole range which includes also bluffs.

Is it OK to ask more about strategy, ranges, opponent types here? Or is it only hand posting?

Unfortunately I don't really have the time to write you those kind of things here, everything is written in the articles and that's why they are made. :) You can always track with some other site if you want them to read and most likely for lower stakes players I strongly even advice to do that, ++++++EV.