Identity Problems with Everest - SCAM?

• jjandellis
      jjandellis
      Bronze
      OK so after a lot of messing around I have now registered with Everest. I deposited a small amount, because I had to in order to open a real money account (and receive the $50 bonus).

Two days later I receive an e-mail stating that it is now UK law to provide a form of ID. Excuse me? No other sites ask for this. I have now sent 3 forms of ID. Each has been turned down for quality issues. However it is not possible to have one of the forms of ID unless you are over 18. That was explained in the e-mail.

I am fed up with all the messing around. So I asked for my deposit back. 'Sorry the account is frozen until you provide ID'.

I'm afraid the hoops you have to jump through to get this $50 are not worth it. Believe it or not I don't even want the $50!!!! I just want access to training videos and material.

Furthermore the software is faulty. Why are Everest insisting on my ID, when IT IS NOT LAW??? I'm afraid this is looking like a scam and I would advise others not to even bother.
  • 19 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      hi lee,

hope you are well? in general, if you have any probs in the future, feel free to message me personally and il look to sort things out

regarding the identity, its standard on all sites, some ask for it once you have played x amount of hands, others when you cash out and it looks like here when you are depositing. All sites have regulations and if they dont have the highest quality standards then they can get big fines, so making sure the documents are right is absolutely vital.

I know its a huge chore, believe me ive had problems with sites recently, but all you have to do is scan the pictures correctly once and then you can use them whenever you deposit on a site again.

Its great you want to access our material and depositing and playing initially is great, theres actually a new series coming out this week that you will be able to see as a basic user that i know you will like.

Make sure you scan your photos or take a pic on your phone of the whole page they are asking for and let me know if you have any further problems.

Hope all is well and you had a good weekend

thanks
      patrick

btw, i bet flop big and jam turn with QQ ;)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hi jjandellis,

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with this.

First off to recieve the $50 starting capital you shouldn't have to deposit a real money account will be created once the $50 is transferred.

Secondly, can i ask, who sent you an email saying it is UK law to provide ID was it PokerStrategy.com or Everest Poker? Whilst i have been through ID checks at a few poker rooms i have never heard of it being law that you MUST provide ID :s_confused:

Once the account is frozen you will have to pass the ID checks to unlock the account this is stated pretty clearly in all poker rooms terms and conditions, and as long as you are who you say you are that should be cleared up in no time :)

Why is the software faulty? Software issues would have to be taken up with Everest Poker as we have no control over that.

Finally its definitely not a scam we have over 5 million members worldwide im sure a couple can vouch for us at least :P

I really hope you get this issue sorted soon and can access the content you want/need and stick around the forums and we get to know you a little better :)

Please let me know if i can help in anyway

Carl
    • jjandellis
      jjandellis
      Bronze
      Hia Patrick

This has really tilted me yesterday/tonight..probs more so than I have ever been, so I've just had to sack the pokerz off.

This is the e-mail:

Dear Lee,

A temporary hold has been placed on your account due to requirements
      imposed by our Licensor, the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, requiring
      all UK resident players making a first deposit to verify their age.
      Upon receipt and verification of a colour scan or digital photo of your
      ID, we will gladly fully re-enable your account. We appreciate your
      understanding and cooperation in this matter, and apologize for any
      inconvenience.

We assure you that the documents you send us will be kept confidential
      and managed with the utmost discretion in mind. This is a security
      measure and your documents will only be used to verify your account.
      Please provide us with a clear, unaltered colour copy of the following
      by responding to this e-mail:

1. A piece of government issued photo ID, including photo and
      signature. Please do not alter or black out anything on your ID.

Please note that a valid scan or copy of your ID must be received
      within 72 hours of your first deposit. If your ID cannot be verified
      within that time, your account will be restricted.

Please attach a copy of your ID to a reply to this e-mail without
      modifying the subject line, and we will be happy to process your
      verification promptly. Once verified, we will remove the hold on your
      account as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding
      throughout this process.

Kind regards,
      Laura
      Everest Poker Customer Care Team

ps. thanks on the PHA lol I kept looking looking at that wondering if it was a bb or pretty much a cooler...and then started thinking even if I played optimum like u say I'd be busted!!!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey again,

Your bronze! does this mean you got everything sorted out?
    • jjandellis
      jjandellis
      Bronze
      No, but I don't know if the PS signup bonus has gone into the account and activated it all...
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      In the UK, there is no national identity card scheme, and this may surprise some, but not everyone drives a car and thus holds a driver's license. Furthermore, not everyone holds a passport. So to provide a passport to prove my identity I will need to fork out £57 (over $80).

It really is ridiculous. I have a bank account, birth certificate and household utility bills with my name and address on. Why aren't these documents enough? Furthermore, I will need to purchase a scanner and/or digital camera to copy these documents. A scanner is around £30. So that's about £90 in total.

Poker sites never used to ask for these ID items when depositing cash, only for cash outs. Now they ask for ID before depositing for the first time. This I agree with! But why the need for a costly passport and/or driver's license?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey arthurbentley

The need for these specific items is probably because they are the most common and official forms of ID a lot of other ID cards aren't recognized as official and therefore aren't accepted in a lot of places.

It's not just poker rooms though shops, pubs, bookies could ask you to provide some photo ID too, you can get a provisional driving licence for around £35 i think however have you tried contacting the poker room and telling them about your situation im sure they understand that not everyone owns a passport or driving licence and if you explain that you are willing to provide anything else that is acceptable but you don't own these items, see if you can come to some kind of agreement,

All the best

Carl
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey arthurbentley,

Here is my 2c :)

You do not need to over 18 to own a Bank card, so there is no proof there.
      If you own a Credit Card, these are 18+ but with the risk of ID Theft these days I doubt Poker sites want to risk it on this as its not the strongest of ID's. Besides, it doesn't have a picture.
      Household Bills, I've never heard of these used as ID themselves, only as additional ID, they could be very easy to create a false one, for example; printing your name/address over someone elses.

The only ID I personally think is good enough is a Passport or Driver's license, but like you've said, you don't own these, so i would say a Birth Certificate would have to be sufficient.

As for not owning a Scanner, Libarys offer printing services for free, or at least around me they do, if they are not free, they're very cheap. You can also understand them thinking most people have a Camera, as most Mobiles come with them these days.

They are asking for the ID to cover themselves, the last thing they want is someone underage on their Poker Software, I don't know what problems this would cause with the Law, but it would not be good!

Out of curiosity, If you where 24 and got ID'd for buying Alcohol, you don't have a Passport or Lisence, do shops accept Bills/Bank Card as proof?
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Firstly, for any criminal to walk off with my poker money they will have to crack my poker log-in password that is very long and complex! Then they will have to provide faked ID and bank details. It's possible a scammer could do this but unlikely. But I do understand the security issues regarding cashing out though. A pity they weren't so forthcoming when it came to depositing money there first!

I have money on 'stars, Full Tilt, and Everest. I don't plan to cash out until I have built up a big sum of cash. So hopefully I won't have any problems with identity verification for a while. I will have to obtain a provisional driver's license and borrow a digital camera for verification purposes.

Such a pain in the ....
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arthurbentley
      Firstly, for any criminal to walk off with my poker money they will have to crack my poker log-in password that is very long and complex! Then they will have to provide faked ID and bank details. It's possible a scammer could do this but unlikely. But I do understand the security issues regarding cashing out though. A pity they weren't so forthcoming when it came to depositing money there first!

I have money on 'stars, Full Tilt, and Everest. I don't plan to cash out until I have built up a big sum of cash. So hopefully I won't have any problems with identity verification for a while. I will have to obtain a provisional driver's license and borrow a digital camera for verification purposes.

Such a pain in the ....
      Hey again,

The sooner you get a copy of your ID sorted the better imo because im seeing more and more cases of people signing up to poker rooms, depositing, playing for an hour or 2 then having their accounts frozen until they provide ID, which can be quite annoying but of course the sites are well within their rights to do it to protect themselves.

You just need to (once you have some ID of course) scan it or take a picture of it or whatever once and then you have it ready for if any other room catches you off guard and you can get back to poker asap :)

Also its not just about people taking your money, its to protect against people creating accounts as somebody else. One of the more memorable cases was in either one of the Sunday Million special editions or the WCOOP. One of the players who got to the final table and ended up winning something like $500k if i remember correctly tried to cash out his winnings and during the security checks it came out that he was only 16/17 yrs old and had created the account in his dads name :facepalm:
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      One of the more memorable cases was in either one of the Sunday Million special editions or the WCOOP. One of the players who got to the final table and ended up winning something like $500k if i remember correctly tried to cash out his winnings and during the security checks it came out that he was only 16/17 yrs old and had created the account in his dads name :facepalm:
      :f_o: :f_o: :f_o: :f_o: :f_o: :f_o:
    • jjandellis
      jjandellis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Originally posted by arthurbentley

Such a pain in the ....
      Hey again,

The sooner you get a copy of your ID sorted the better imo because im seeing more and more cases of people signing up to poker rooms, depositing, playing for an hour or 2 then having their accounts frozen until they provide ID, which can be quite annoying but of course the sites are well within their rights to do it to protect themselves.

You just need to (once you have some ID of course) scan it or take a picture of it or whatever once and then you have it ready for if any other room catches you off guard and you can get back to poker asap :)

Also its not just about people taking your money, its to protect against people creating accounts as somebody else. One of the more memorable cases was in either one of the Sunday Million special editions or the WCOOP. One of the players who got to the final table and ended up winning something like $500k if i remember correctly tried to cash out his winnings and during the security checks it came out that he was only 16/17 yrs old and had created the account in his dads name :facepalm:
      My issue is that they should not have processed my payment if there was any such doubt. Now they have taken my money - but will not release it for me to play with OR return it to me if I am unable to provide photo ID. I can easily scan a utility bill (no age shown), but scanning laminated ID with a phone app scanner creates an unworkable glare. At the moment I'm confined to home and unable to go into town to scan.

My point is that, if they are even slightly in doubt - they should not even process my payment.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      All sites let you deposit no matter what. It's the withdrawing they protect 'you' from.

Sickening, I know.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      But look at it from the poker sites point of view:

There are no laws to say check peoples ID before they deposit.

There are laws that say you cant play until you are 18 or you cant commit ID fraud in order to play for whatever reason.

Now of course a business will do whatever they can to make money and thats why they write into their terms and conditions that accounts can and will be frozen and funds seized if somebody is found to be breaking these rules/laws.

So its in their best interests to let anybody deposit thats why its always handy to keep a copy of your ID. You can contact the support and tell them it will be a day or 2 before you can get a scan. Can't you just take a photograph of it on your phone though instead? When i took a photo of mine it was about 10x clearer than any scan I've made

Carl
    • murichej
      murichej
      Bronze
      never but really NEVER deposit money to site until your account is 100% verified. you may not trust to anyone in this world!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by murichej
      never but really NEVER deposit money to site until your account is 100% verified. you may not trust to anyone in this world!
      I don't think this is a major worry to be honest as long as the site is reputable and you have ID in case then you should have nothing to worry about. But if doing it this way makes you feel more comfortable then sure there is no harm :)
    • morris979
      morris979
      Bronze
      Murichej is right. Across the board, whichever site a player wants to play at, it is for the best to check their terms and conditions first to see what ID verification is required.
      I personally had significant problems with Mansion many moons ago although this has been a rarity. Coming from the UK I have held betting accounts with many bookmakers and have never once been asked for an ID check. From a poker perspective none of Everest, Full Tilt or Stars have ever asked for one either. I don't know why. :f_biggrin:
    • Ac3sFu11
      Ac3sFu11
      Bronze
      Without sticking my nose in-you say you cant provide id because you dont get a credit card etc if your under 18-hence your under 18 so why are u on a gambling site?

If you are under 18 its because of players like yourself that make poker sites have to be stringent in id and security issues.
    • margaretB
      margaretB
      Basic
      Identity theft is a form of stealing someones identity in which someone pretends to be someone else by assuming that person's identity, typically in order to access resources or obtain credit and other benefits in that person's name. Identity theft takes place 365 days per year, but it is a specific annoyance during spring break. College students are at much greater risk than average adults, according to a newly released survey. Here's how to stay away from it. Beware spring break identity theft, travel scams. Thankfully, the Federal Trade Commission has some ideas college students or anyone else can apply in order to avoid identity theft.