Jetocumen

• jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

I'm playing at party poker with my free $50. Hoping this thread will help me grow this to a Million! hahah!
  • 14 replies
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Increasing my bankroll and cashing out to buy some things.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

I stop playing when I double my money, but don't know how to stop playing when I am losing.

I sometimes move up limits to break even on lower limit losses but if I'm not lucky I end up losing a lot more.

I'm not good at math so I'm having a hard time computing odds and outs.

I play most of the time after work.

I underestimated lower limit players the other day when I was winning losing and tried to cash out too much.

I get pot committed on the turn and tend to re-raise when an opponent raises and I only have one left to complete a flush or a straight or whenever I have a top pair. Most of the time I end up losing so I just try to make players fold before the flop and cash up on raises.

When the flop comes out I'm always scared to get out drawn and not realize it because I can't read my opponents hand and miss out straight, flush draws and overpair opportunities of my opponent.

I sometimes call and raise out of position when I have good cards.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Playing tight means folding cards when:

-you are out of position
      -throwing away mediocre hands before the flop
      -when a sizable risk is identified.

Playing aggressive means:

-you are using your position.
      -playing above average cards and getting the most value.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

That's a huge problem when you don't know how to stop and also you are moving up the limits. You are most likely tilting a lot, for example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Don't worry that much about the math, we will explain you everything and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Hi! No one has replied on my previous post so I'm starting another one. I've been playing for less than a month now, I have read most of thr bronze articles but it seems like my bankroll is just spiraling downward. Maybe I'm misinterpretting some of the articles or I'm trying to be creative on the tables too much.

I'm currently playing on party poker's cash games NL 0.01/0.02, I have tried to try higher limits to catch up on my losses only to lose $10 more. Right now I'm down by $16 and I feel somewhat demotivated since I really try to study by reading, highlighting keypoints on the articles and taking notes. Although I think my execution needs more discipline. Maybe because I really can't read my opponents accurately to make correct decisions.

I could spend at least 30-60 min a day for learning and playing online due to the nature of my job and the distance I have to travel from home to work. Some times I also go on field work since I work in Market Research so I might not he present every day. But I'm willing to learn and to tell you the truth i'm getting quite addicted to the game.

I hope some one can coach me so I could bring my bankroll up. For starters do you have any tips On how I should approach the courses since it takes 3 hours minimum for each learning session?
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

-I enjoy playing poker
      -I want to win when I play against my friends and win tournaments after I study cash games I pkan to study SNGs.
      -I want first to move up the limits until I could have a good income.
      -Maybe buy a new cellphone or get extra money to pay for regular expenses.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

-I play out of position most of the time cause I try too much to defend my blind or steal blinds.
      -I also play off suit high cards out of position.
      -I have read some of the after flop articles and studied the starting hands, but I lack the discipline to implement.
      -I'm still having a hard time figuring out what to do after the flop. I failed the first begginers quiz on the bronze section.
      -I concentrate on breaking even when I lose and sometimes get impatient and move up limits to catch up - not a good BRM habit. I gues that's how I tilt i self destruct.
      -I find it hard to fold to a raise when I have a good hand because I can't read my opponents well. I end upnlosing to a better hand. This usually happens when I have a top pair or a straight. I usually reraise and the result is not good.
      -I think I take too mich risk, by playing unorthodox.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

-Playing tight aggressive means staying out of marginal situations and initiating the action at the right position, with a profitable draw, while still weighing your strategy against other playr's strategy.

(Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi jetocumen,

welcome to our beginner's course!

dont worry, i'm sure our coach will get to this thread in a while. sometimes, there are just too many and he is only human :D

learning and improving in poker really takes a little bit of time and discipline. you need to put in the work and it seems you are willing to do so. you are only in your first month in? i wouldnt get discouraged at all. there is still a long way to go, esp as you are only able to dedicate a few minutes/day in your learning. this is not a problem in itself, you can just make your own pace and take your learning more slowly. you can just partition the lessons and take notes so you won't forget until your next session.

i'm not a coach but that seems to be a big flaw when you are having a losing session to move up in stakes and chase your losses. have you read the bankroll management articles yet? these are really important if you don't want to deposit again. i suggest reading them again.

smiles,
      wendy
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      @Purplefizz: Salamat Wendy! Binabasa ko yung pinoy forum kahapon. Si Veriz na ba ang magigung coach ko?

Problema ko kasi nabasa ko na lahat pero di ko pa rin maintindihan bat ako natatalo, kaya gusto ko na magpacoach.

@Veriz: Thanks for replyibg to my post. I have read most of the basic and bronze articles although I think it has'nt sunked in yet. Haha! i just lost my $25 deposit and now relying on the free capital from Poker Strategy and I don't want to lose it.

I'm starting all over again by taking part in the course on the bronze section. I was asking purplefizz if you would be my coach?

I'm willing to take all the negative criticisms to improve my game. I need it actually.

I will try to find time to attend one of your public coaching sessions. Maybe on a weekend since I would have to wake up at 3 to catch it. I have attended a public coaching last night although they we're teaching MTT. I was conviced and hoped i could build up my bankroll with it. But when I logged on to party poker the minimum buy in for NL.10 was $3 so I guess I have to stay with big stack which is quite complicated for me.

Well I guess if I study the course well It will be a bit manageable.

Thanks for combining my post!:)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah, most likely I will be your coach in the Locker Room and in the Hand Evaluation forums. :P In some live coachings as well.
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz!

Haven't had much time to study these past 2 weeks. Work has been crazy. I used my free time just to play so I can relax.

Whenever I see AK now if always feel like I'm going to loose, I don't know what to do when it does not connect on the flop. I posted some hands on the forums to get some advice.

AK Problems

AK too passive?

AK too aggressive?

AK@CO

AK did I fold too early?

AK folded to re-raise
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah, I saw that. You had couple of leaks in them. Guess you know about them now.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi jetocumen,

oh! didnt realize you were from my country! hello :D

have you met the other pinoys in the community? yes veriz is likely going to take care of you. he is very patient dont worry. of course a lot of the effort needs to come from your end. i see you are posting hands already. thats very very good! probably one of the best ways to improve. will check in here from time to time and see how you are doing. :)
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Tried out leak buster and discovered some of my leaks.

1. Three betting
      2. Small blind
      3. Big blind

The following hands are my biggest big blind blunders:

Straight VS Fullhouse
      Aggressive or Stupid?
      How do i play overcards?
      AA VS 99 Should've folded pre flop.
      2 Pair Blunder
      Reraised Jack on the Turn
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Yeah, I saw that. You had couple of leaks in them. Guess you know about them now.
      Hi Veriz just to summarize your evaluations.

When playing AK pre-flop:

1. Raise when no one has raised
      2. 3 bet when one player raised
      3. Fold when some one reraises

When playing post flop:

1. Fold when you did not hit the board do not contribet

Did i get it?
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Progress until today:

Posted hand after playing:
      KQs VS LAG

Re-reading basic articles and posted some summaries:
      The Big Stack Strategy (Summary)
      How to play before the flop (Summary)

I have been playing too loosely and going back to my old habit of going up limits when losing. I slowly tried to recover from $38 to $68 last week, but my bankroll dropped to $40 last friday. I lost $8 at four tables at NL2 tried to get it back at NL4 lossing bigger. This was really not good because I was set to recover. Before I played I was tired and had a few drinks with friends, maybe that's the reason why I became too aggressive at the table.Hahaha. Although losing money is not funny. I reread some articles yesterday and have done some summaries to drill BRM and tight play it into my mind. Right now I'm recovering at $48. Still $ 27 more to bring it back to my original bankroll.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      When playing AK pre-flop:

Also depends a lot in specific situations, villains stack, villain stats - how villain is playing. There is no default line in poker, in some spots we might even just cold call and play it postflop. :)

When playing post flop:

Kind of the same, at some point we are more inclined to CB and at some point we just Check/Fold it. Unfortunately there is no default line in poker which we can always follow.