FireStormBG

• firestormbg
      firestormbg
      Bronze
      Hey guys. I'm from Bulgaria and I play NL5 / NL10 MSS FR on Everest Poker.
      I have some 15k hands and my winrate is around 3bb/100. I started with the free 50$. I might get them out soon and go to another poker room cause it's full of "Strategists" there and it's kinda hard.
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck FireStormBG,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • firestormbg
      firestormbg
      Bronze
      Oh I've read most of the Topics. I even read some of the Gold Status items. I even did the Beginner's Graduation quiz. After I finished it it said that I should make a Locker Room Thread in here so that you could give me some assignments.
    • firestormbg
      firestormbg
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation in poker is getting up the limits. I play mainly for fun, but would like to get other people's money too :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Sometimes I deviate from the charts and I make some mistakes like raising when the opponent is too tight (and obviously has a better hand).

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Almost never calling. Playing fold or raise most of the time.
      Having a tight Open Raising range (like 13%). Having even more tight 3 betting range (like 9%) and having a very tight 4 betting range (like 4%).
      Also C-betting and stealing a lot.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • firestormbg
      firestormbg
      Bronze
      Should I start doing the homeworks when I'm done. I've read about BSS. I even read all the articles up to gold. I play TAG style (VPIP/PFR are 14/13), but I play mostly MSS.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by firestormbg
      Should I start doing the homeworks when I'm done. I've read about BSS. I even read all the articles up to gold. I play TAG style (VPIP/PFR are 14/13), but I play mostly MSS.
      Oh okey cool, and which one do you like more? :)
    • firestormbg
      firestormbg
      Bronze
      I like the MSS because it leaves me with less hard situations on the flop and possibly turn. I almost never get to see the river or the showdown. It's easy because if you have overpair or better you can go all-in almost 100% of the time and you would be the favorite in most cases.

The only problem with it is that you are vulnerable to floating, very readable by good players, and sometimes vulnerable to min-bet. Also there is the problem that you could extract more value from your hand if you played BSS and you have a lot of moves you could incorporate there like Peeling, Floating, bluff 4betting set mining etc.

As soon as I hit the 100-200k hands I'll try to switch to bss since I would 'feel' the flop better. Or the other possibility is that I gradually increase my stack until I feel comfortable at 100bb.

Edit: The good thing is that I'm learning stuff all the time that would be useful at BSS and still maintain a steady positive bb/100 rate.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      At least you will know how MSS players think when you start playing BSS. :)