Big raises preflop

• catastrophewin
      Recently, I was at a live $0.50/$0.50 No-limit holdem game. The players there open raised preflop an average of about $4, instead of what I thought should be a $1.50 to $2.50 raise. One of the players later commented about raising according to opponents stack size (we all bought in $100), rather than the size of the blinds. Does this have any basis?
  • 6 replies
    • KozakFB
      is 50/50 a typo or is it 25/50?

I guess when its deep people like to gamble more, allows for interesting post flop play without made hands.
    • Slurpee
      i play live at a few different places and i too have noticed people bet wayyy more preflop then normal. most are like other guy said, usually deep stack.. but theres just a lot of aggro fish coming in and out who will try to all in with KQs and random hands pre
    • lood88
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      is 50/50 a typo or is it 25/50?
      It's usual that small and big blinds are same.

About the big preflop raises, I think it's completely normal. I play very similar live as you do. $1/1 blinds where people usually get in with 100 to 200 BB's. Limit is 200 or is equal to largest stack on table. Problem is that live games are way looser either cause people are bad or just bored so they get into hands with a lot of trash. You want to keep them out with relativly larger bets or make them pay decently. Another thing is, the longer they play the looser they get. So basically my open-raise bet is around $5-6 and goes up to $9-10 when nearing the morning.
    • BlackRain79DTB
      The goal of a preflop raise is to either take it down right then and there, get it heads up or versus two people at most. So if you are in a game where a standard raise will not accomplish any of these goals very often then your standard raise size should be higher than what is "normal." The most extreme example would be in play money. Nobody folds anything. So a standard raise size there with a premium hand might even be all in.
    • Kitsune101
      What do you mean by changing your bet sizing according to opponents stack size? If he is saying in general raise more when opponent have more, that have no basic whatsoever.

Blinds are incentive for people to play a hand in poker, thus your pre-flop raise is to take down the blinds. Why would you want to spend more to take down the same amount of blinds?

However, in a life setting, where people are calling pre-flop really light. I dont change my bet sizing base on stack size, but I do play tigther and PFR larger because I am PFRing mainly for value.

Your EV onto the flop is higher than your opponents and you are expected to dominate them more often than they dominate you, so I can see a logic to bet bigger for value pre-flop.

Vs someone that is totally obivious calling pre-flop with a large range regardless of your PFR sizing (level 1), I would just be unbalance and raise some ridiculous amount with AA/KK. These are the players that would call 15bb PFR /w 54s. Hit a pair and call any cbet.

These are the two reasons I can think of right now to bet bigger pre-flop in a life game. Opponent stack size by itself is definitely not a reason to be bigger.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      I find its the same Live where I've played, It's £1/£1 here, rarely £0.50/£1. A standard raise is £5, sometimes up to £8.