C-betting on a highpairboard ...

• Gurkha
      Gurkha
      Bronze
      Situation:
      Hero raises first-in (steals), gets one caller from the blinds. Flop comes QQx.

Question: c-bet or check-behind.

As I used to cbet regularly at this spot, I now changed this habit due to an explanation from a thread at the 2+2-forum.

Here's the link:
      http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8313278&page=2&fpart=1&vc=1

It's the 2nd hand of the quiz. To the end of page 8 the author explaines why he'd check behind this board and put in a delayed cb (or check it down)

I must say that I didn't really think about this line before, but now it seems very logical to me. So, what's your opinion about that?

Btw, I think the whole thread is very useful to think about certain lines concerning c-betting or not.
  • 2 replies
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Nice post. It's good to see different points of view when it comes to c-betting.

As one poster there says: c-betting too much is a big leak, as is too little.

Good stuff.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i'll post the hand here for everyone else to analyse.

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A 9
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2 Q Q (rainbow) ($4.5, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero...

his reasoning: No. On a paired broadway flop, you should often check behind with a KK-type hand. This will get you two streets of value from 88 and lose the least when they have the Q. So, I like a check here. They are never folding a better hand to a CB. You can delay your CB til the turn, or check it down and hope your A9 holds up agst his JT.

my reasoning: Yes. Qx and 2x are both small portions of his range. we usually have the best hand here with our A9 high, but we need protection against his live pair-draws. so we bet behind, and force him to fold hands like JT, etc. he may still be calling us with his pocketpairs, but i think he will even fold a lot of these OOP, when he knows that we could very easily have a Q in this spot. the cbet line also saves us a LOT of money if he decides to c/r his Q, whereas if we check it and hit an ace...

other "difficult" hands:

H6

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T :heart: Q
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T J K ($4.5, 2 players) (2hearts)
      SB checks, Hero...

i prefer to bet here. we can rep the K and make the villain fold many Jx and Tx type hands (this one is super marginal for me btw)

H5

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 5 6
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T 3 2 rainbow ($6, 3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

i check behind here, as i believe the T hits villain's preflop flatcalling range pretty hard. i think cbetting this is bit spewy, as we are too often getting check/raised by one of them.