This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 Pocket 8s, Full house at turn

• Easytee
      Easytee
      Basic
      Merge Network $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $4.04
      BB: $4.00
      UTG: $6.97
      UTG+1: $5.15
      Hero (MP): $8.55
      CO: $2.85
      BTN: $3.80

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is MP with 8:spade: 8:club:
      UTG raises to $0.14, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.14, 4 folds
      I call as we both have stack sizes that justify it and because of the fact that I felt like I had good implied odds because a UTG Raise has a fairly tight range that I can extract value from if I hit an 8.

Flop: ($0.34) J:club: 3:spade: J:heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.22, UTG calls $0.22
      He checks, I assume that he hasn't hit a J or else he would lead, I also assume that any hand with a 3 is out of his range, I bet 2/3rds pot with a mediocre pair to try to take down the dead money.

Turn: ($0.78) J:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.52, UTG calls $0.52
      Another J drops, at this point I have a Full House. However, he checks again. I raise

River: ($1.82) 5:heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.91, UTG calls $0.91
      As he didn't check raise me I assume he doesn't have a full house, I also know that a five is out of his range, so I bet half pot again.

Now I recognize some mistakes I made with this hand. On the double barrel he called again, this should have been a warning sign to me, as any unpaired hand would have recognized their clear loss to pockets and folded here. However he played on, with probably a stronger pocket pair than me as 8s are unlikely and anything lower is probably out of his range preflop. Then I bet again on the river because I assume that another pocket pair would have reraised me on the turn. In hindsight, he was probably playing passive because he was scared that I might have a better pocket pair.

Are there any others? How should I apply this lesson to my play in the future?

Results
      Villain pulls out pocket 10s and takes down the pot
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Easytee,

If he is loose enough then sure, your line is definitely fine if you expect him to Call with A high type of hands there. :) But against more reasonable opponent I'd consider Checking the river.

Best Regards.