BB: $4.00
      UTG: $6.97
      UTG+1: $5.15
      Hero (MP): $8.55
      CO: $2.85
      BTN: $3.80

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is MP with 8:spade: 8:club:
      UTG raises to $0.14, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.14, 4 folds
      I call as we both have stack sizes that justify it and because of the fact that I felt like I had good implied odds because a UTG Raise has a fairly tight range that I can extract value from if I hit an 8.

Flop: ($0.34) J:club: 3:spade: J:heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.22, UTG calls $0.22
      He checks, I assume that he hasn't hit a J or else he would lead, I also assume that any hand with a 3 is out of his range, I bet 2/3rds pot with a mediocre pair to try to take down the dead money.

Turn: ($0.78) J:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.52, UTG calls $0.52
      Another J drops, at this point I have a Full House. However, he checks again. I raise

River: ($1.82) 5:heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.91, UTG calls $0.91
      As he didn't check raise me I assume he doesn't have a full house, I also know that a five is out of his range, so I bet half pot again.

Now I recognize some mistakes I made with this hand. On the double barrel he called again, this should have been a warning sign to me, as any unpaired hand would have recognized their clear loss to pockets and folded here. However he played on, with probably a stronger pocket pair than me as 8s are unlikely and anything lower is probably out of his range preflop. Then I bet again on the river because I assume that another pocket pair would have reraised me on the turn. In hindsight, he was probably playing passive because he was scared that I might have a better pocket pair.

Are there any others? How should I apply this lesson to my play in the future?

Villain pulls out pocket 10s and takes down the pot
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Easytee,

If he is loose enough then sure, your line is definitely fine if you expect him to Call with A high type of hands there. :) But against more reasonable opponent I'd consider Checking the river.

Best Regards.