What is he thinking?

• theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Just thought I'd post this for discussion. I see things like this quite often at this limit and I thought for a change I'd post one to see some opinions, maybe it'll help with reading skills.

Naturally I assume he was either slow-playing trips or possibly 2-pair. What donkey would bluff like that for 4 BB's?

Discuss.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
      [affiliate link removed]

UTG: $20.80
      CO: $8.05
      BTN: $10.40
      SB: $10.45
      Hero (BB): $10.35

Pre-Flop: 2:heart: A:diamond: dealt to Hero (BB)
      3 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.20) 9:diamond: 3:club: 3:diamond: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.20) A:heart: (2 Players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($0.40) 6:club: (2 Players)
      SB bets $4.50, Hero folds

Results: $0.40 Pot
      SB mucked and WON $0.40 (+$0.20 NET)
  • 7 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Well thats NL10 - He is a donkey. Even if he's got trips or Aces and 9's or sixes - his overbet isnt making any sence, battle of the blinds, you havent shown any interest for the pot so far, probably he's got nothing and just felt it was the best way to bluff lol.You played it correctly, that's all that matters...
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I have notes on about 10-15 people that do this, and everytime I hit a hand against them and i'm out of position I slow play. I regulary double up off the same people doin this and they dont learn. IMO they are USUALLY holding second pair or worse. Hope this may help in future hands.
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      yup, notes is something great. combined with color coding, its aven better than the tracking stats
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Absolutely agree about note taking. Took one on this guy right away, but they're so useful down the road. I take notes on nearly every player I face.

Like I said, I'm not worried about how I played the hand, but I was curious as to how many other players out there see this as much as I do

;)

Thanks for the responses guys!
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      What I've seen is that those donkeys make the push in a tiny pot when they hit their straigts or flushes. And then there are the "curious donkeys" that call the pushes with mid-low pairs or even A-high hands (especially if pusher is smallstack and caller is bigstack)
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hey theloniousbones,

He thought "If I overbet, this guy will fold.."! :D

If he had two pairs or better, definitely he wouldn't have done it in this situation.

Btw: Please remove any affiliate link before you post your hands.

Good luck!
      thunderbird56
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      its happened to me a few times too.... I think its silly overbetting like that.. One guy did it on the river I was small blind n he was big blind with no other callers in an unraised pot. Then I did it the next time we were in the same position.. I had the nuts though but hoping he was stupid enough to call LOL