$2.00
      MP2:
      $2.01
      MP3:
      $0.77
      CO:
      $4.05

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, K.
      UTG2 raises to $0.06, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.39) 6, 2, J (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.19, UTG2 raises to $0.38, Hero calls $0.19.

Turn: ($1.15) J (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.82, Hero raises to $1.46, UTG2 calls $0.64.

River: ($4.07) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.07.

Sorry I have no stats on villain to hand, but from memory I only had about 40 hands, which suggested he was fairly loose..
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, D4NNYP!

Interesting hand.

Firstly, you have to 3bet bigger preflop. More like $0.24 at these limits (4x) since you are only doing for value and they will call too much anyway.

The flop is tricky. If the villain is indeed very loose/aggressive I like your call there. He may have a J (which is pretty bad play but he might) and 66/22 are possible but not very probable. Two pairs are very unlikely (unless he is calling your 3bet with J6 or 62, which are both horrible hands).

Since there are no draws, against a very aggressive player I'd call flop too and let him bluff out.

The turn is even trickier... it's less likely he has a J now but there are not many hands that you beat except pure bluffs and an odd QQ (but I doubt an aggressive opponent would call QQ pre and not re-raise you back). So you might even consider folding if he is not a complete lunatic; if he is, then I'd call turn and call any river since when we raise he'll fold all bluffs.

Problem is: even if he doesn't realize that, when you call his flop raise you are saying you either beat a J or at least you have a J yourself. So it would only make sense for him to bluff again the turn if he is a maniac that bluffs all the time because it's a *very* bad spot to do it.
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      Thank you luizsilveira

The bigger preflop 3 bet makes sense and something I will bring to my game at this level. Is it just this level or will I find it a useful tip on higher levels too..

I was upset with myself after this hand, because when you see the result (he had AJ) it is easy to be critical of yourself.. I was thinking maybe i was wrong to just call his reraise on flop..

Afterwards I should have folded because I was sure he had a Jack ( wrongly or rightly) and I didn't have the discipline to lay my hand down..
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi,

The bigger preflop 3 bet makes sense and something I will bring to my game at this level. Is it just this level or will I find it a useful tip on higher levels too..

At this level and a few to come. If you play higher stakes you might end up lowering a bit the 3bet size just because of two things: opponents will not call anyway and thus you'll bluff a lot.

Now... if they won't call anyway, you save a bit by betting less as a bluff when they happen to have AA/KK or AK (hands they will probably re-raise again).

On the micro stakes, you don't 3bet as a bluff and the opponents will call with all sorts of trash (like AJ). If you are doing for value, why not get *more* value by doing it slightly bigger?

I was thinking maybe i was wrong to just call his reraise on flop..

To be honest, it is close and of course reraising is not bad as well.

Problem is: if he is indeed bluffing we don't want to re-raise the flop and make him fold.

The way the hand was played he has at most 5 outs against us (a bit more than 10% equity) and the only card we really don't want to see is an A.

In the end it depends on opponent, but I think against a very aggressive/maniac one calling is good and might be better than re-raising flop. If we had QQ I'd be more inclined to raise back (since now any A *or* K leave us in a tougher spot).